03-09-2012, 03:34 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have decided to make a compendium of all the shaving sticks that you can find in Spain.
Shaving sticks were more popular than shaving creams here.Some of them are still in production,others have been discontinued and are hard to find on stores.All of these shaving sticks are made in Spain(but the new La Toja one which is made in Slovakia).

Vintage La Toja shaving stick.

1 on the left is older than the one in the right,which its a new version.
This stick is made with the original La Toja formulation(the one before the company was bought by Henkel).The stick is yellow and its scent is woody an spicy.
Its skin properties are better than the actual La Toja shaving stick,but not by far.I believe that the first La Toja shaving stick was made in 1907.This NOS La Toja shaving stick is still easy to find,but not widely available as the new La Toja shaving stick.Its a vegetable based soap with mineral salts on it,however theres a version with tallow on it.

[Image: LaToja1.jpg]

[Image: LaToja2.jpg]

Modern La Toja shaving stick.

This shaving stick is white and its scent is kind of spicy and more woody than the old ones.As the vintage ones contains mineral salts from La Toja balnearium but is not longer made in Spain as the old ones : since 2001 there are made in Eastern Europe (Slovakia it seems like ).
These shaving sticks have suffered several reformulation during the last 15 years.The new one have been released on 2010.All of them are outstanding shaving sticks.Vegetable based.

[Image: LaToja3.jpg]

[Image: LaToja1-1.jpg]

[Image: LaToja2-1.jpg]

And here is the newwer version from 2010 :

[Image: mg2819r.jpg]

And its ingredients (right one) :

[Image: mg2821version2.jpg]
[Image: mg2821f.jpg]

Some vintage La Toja shaving soap adds :

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1Rk5TZwf81oqiWGbJqoZ...u8YLnlFP1c]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7QesSvPSFVsObNLEqvAK...csDd5rroZ8]

LEA/BEA/BEA shaving stick.

These shaving sticks are made in Vizcaya (northern Spain) by Lea.The reason that they have changed the name to BEA is a mystery for me.Basically is the same shaving stick but with different scents.The LEA shaving stick has a soapy clean scent,while the BEA has a "detergent" scent.Also the BEA* could come on a box with holder like the Palmolive,Erasmic,Wilkinson sticks.They are fully available here,from the euros stores to great supermarkets.They cost around an euro.
As La Toja have suffered serveral reformulations,and the last one seems to be a really crapppy one.
*BEA is the cheaper version of LEA, usually sold in "1 euro" stores in Spain.The both have now the same scent,kind of detergent one,but not like Arko.

Old BEA/LEA shaving sticks and formulations :

[Image: Lea5.jpg]

[Image: BEA6.jpg]

[Image: BEA7.jpg]

And these are the ingredients of the new crappy version of it (same packaging than the old version)

Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Stearate, Aqua, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Parfum, Sodium Chloride, Titanium Dioxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Geraniol

Vintage Lea shaving line add :

[Image: 20396596.jpg]

Myrurgia/Massimo Dutti shaving sticks.

*These are the hidden treasures of the crown.Massimo Dutti (belongs to the Inditex group under Zara) is a well known Spanish clothes store which also has fragrances made by Antonio Puig.Myrurgia was a company based in Barcelona too which was sold to Antonio Puig group in 2000,when this shaving stick was discontinued.Both sticks have been discontinued about 12 years ago.

Myrurgia was born in 1916 and it seems than in the earlier 1920,s launched its shaving stick,which have suffered changes on its presentation and formulation until it was discontinued in 2000.

Basically the same formulation ? but different scent.Massimo Dutti has the cologne scent(fresh and woody)while Myrurgia is fresh and spicy.

[Image: Myrurgia8.jpg]

Myrurgia shaving stick ingredients :

[Image: P1160308.jpg]

Massimo Dutti shaving stick :

[Image: P1220458.jpg]

[Image: P1220459.jpg]

Old Myrurgia shaving stick add (maybe from the early 1920,s) :

[Image: M2.jpg]

Gal for men.

Perfmueria Gal is one of the oldest in Spain,founded in Madrid,1898.
There were 3 versions of this shaving soap (discontinued too,around 2000 I think) : one with tallow as a first ingredients and two vegerl based ones.I only have tried the tallow first ingredient with terrible results everytime.Poor performer.However,it seems that the veggie based ones are much better,in line with Myrurgia/La Toja quality.

It seems that perfumerias Gal wants to launch a new shaving soap in the market for this 2012,so well see if this a new version or one of this old shaving sticks made a soap puck.

[Image: gal1s.jpg]

[Image: gal2.jpg]

Vintage add of Gal shaving soap/stick :

[Image: 24135788.jpg]

86 7,123
 03-09-2012, 05:45 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Nice write up Teiste!

I've had my eye on the Lea stick for a while, it's good to know that you didn't find it that great.

I never would have guessed that the tallow Gal would be out performed by the vegetable version. The tallow version must really be horrid!

7 1,018
 03-09-2012, 07:30 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Very nice write-up Teiste. I wish Musgo Real still made shave sticks.

173 23,500
 02-08-2013, 11:00 AM
User Info
Now we have new LEA/BEA sticks. With lanolin and glycerin

1 1,428
 02-08-2013, 11:33 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I love my La Toja stick. I may have to check out some of these others.

10 1,858
 02-08-2013, 02:52 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
Teiste, I love the La Toja stick. It was sent to me several years ago and it is a top performer. The Lea stick works quite ok also, but it's a bit harder to lather up. I never tried the Bea, and I have a Gal stick which to me anyway, works good. Smile

3 2,562
 02-09-2013, 10:50 PM
User Info
Hi Teiste,

Thanks for the insight on these sticks!

0 224
 02-09-2013, 11:30 PM
User Info
I have the Lea stick and think it's okay, but it takes a bit more water and work to lather. When I get it right it's pretty slick though.

I guess La Toja should go on the list of sticks to try.

0 120
 02-10-2013, 07:39 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
(02-09-2013, 11:30 PM)Bittermormon Wrote: I have the Lea stick and think it's okay, but it takes a bit more water and work to lather. When I get it right it's pretty slick though.

I guess La Toja should go on the list of sticks to try.

Eactly, the Lea stick doesn't lather quite as easily as the La Toja one. I'm also a little disappointed by the slightly dry feeling my skin experiences from it. To me, the La Toja is the best of all Spanish shaving sticks.

3 2,562
 02-10-2013, 08:17 PM
User Info
Thanks for that break down Teiste, very informative.

0 500