10-18-2016, 06:16 PM
User Info
Hello Everyone!

I am waiting to purchase the new Rx razor and it will admitedly be my first SE razor.  When looking at blades I am a bit lost...

Guarded versus un-guarded and what is the difference?  Can anyone help answer this question and point me into the correct direction with regard to blade choice/transition from DE?

Thanks!

16 230
 10-18-2016, 06:21 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I would start with a Kai Mild and see how your shaves go. You should get about a weeks worth of shaves from a single blade. The next step would be the Feather Pro. I have had poor luck with the guard blades in safety razors and only use them in the Feather Kamisori style razors. Hope this helps.

59 4,496
 10-18-2016, 06:24 PM
User Info
(10-18-2016, 06:21 PM)eengler Wrote: I would start with a Kai Mild and see how your shaves go. You should get about a weeks worth of shaves from a single blade. The next step would be the Feather Pro. I have had poor luck with the guard blades in safety razors and only use them in the Feather Kamisori style razors. Hope this helps.

Thanks for taking the time to point me in the right direction.  Ill start with those recommendations and go from there.  I am sure many threads exist on this topic but is there any change in form/angle to be aware of?

My beard hairs are tough and thick if that helps any.  I have never shaved SE but my consensus is that I am drastically missing out on a better shave. 

Thanks in advance!

16 230
 10-18-2016, 06:30 PM
User Info
Depends on your beard. My stubble is coarse. Kai mild blades couldn't cut it, literally. My only blades to use in these razors are the Pro & Super Pro from Feather.

31 8,057
 10-18-2016, 06:35 PM
User Info
(10-18-2016, 06:30 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Depends on your beard. My stubble is coarse. Kai mild blades couldn't cut it, literally. My only blades to use in these razors are the Pro & Super Pro from Feather.

Mine is coarse as well.  Im just wondering if starting at the sharpest end of blade options woiuld be easier given my inexperience with SE.

16 230
 10-18-2016, 08:04 PM
User Info
Get a sampler. 
I understand the RX is rather mild so you can lean toward sharper blades. I wouldn't start at Feather Pro level though. Those are not only sharper but wider, making it more aggressive.

8 1,127
 10-19-2016, 06:04 AM
User Info
(10-18-2016, 08:04 PM)lloydrm Wrote: Get a sampler. 
I understand the RX is rather mild so you can lean toward sharper blades. I wouldn't start at Feather Pro level though. Those are not only sharper but wider, making it more aggressive.

It must be the Pro Super that's the wider blade. I checked the Pro against the Kai Captain Mild, and they're the same length and/or width. Whichever way you look at it.  Smile

8 103
 10-19-2016, 06:33 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I suggest Kai mild or Feather Pro.
Guard blades won't work with the Rx.

102 18,652
 10-19-2016, 06:57 AM
User Info
Impossible for any of us to say.

You have only one option: TRY THE BLADES ON YOUR BEARD.

Everythng else is just a guessing games to be honest.

I would get some Feather Pro, Feather Guard and Kai Mild.

Go from there.

It's not exactly breaking the bank to try some SE blades - best thing to do is TEST THEM, you'll be guessing and thinking about it, until you actually try them anyway.
Trust me, I've been there. I also have asked multiple questions on the forums, in the end I came to this conclusion: You can go by some of the advice, but in the end - it means NOTHING, best and ONLY thing is to test them on your beard for a shave, then you'll know and not guess you know  Wink

24 5,967
 10-19-2016, 09:48 PM
User Info
(10-19-2016, 06:57 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Impossible for any of us to say.

You have only one option: TRY THE BLADES ON YOUR BEARD.

Everythng else is just a guessing games to be honest.

I would get some Feather Pro, Feather Guard and Kai Mild.

Go from there.

It's not exactly breaking the bank to try some SE blades - best thing to do is TEST THEM, you'll be guessing and thinking about it, until you actually try them anyway.
Trust me, I've been there. I also have asked multiple questions on the forums, in the end I came to this conclusion: You can go by some of the advice, but in the end - it means NOTHING, best and ONLY thing is to test them on your beard for a shave, then you'll know and not guess you know  Wink

Thanks for the advice, gents!  Once the Rx is back in stock I will go from there and start with Feather Pro and Kai Mild.  I will be sure to report back with my results!  

I have to say this, however.  I shaved with my one blade for the first time today.  The thicker FHS-10 blade made a world of difference for my stubble.  WAY less irritation than my feather DE blades (by far).  Keep in mind I am shaving with great soaps and consistent form too.  I am starting to get the idea that thicker blades, such as FHS-10 and SE are my go to (even though I haven't shaved SE yet).  Is this thought process correct?

16 230
 10-19-2016, 09:53 PM
User Info
Why don't you just order the sampler pack from tryablade ? It comes with one (1) blade each of everything available (9 different artist club blades, 8 for the Mongoose set). That way you could try them all, then buy the ones you like most from your preferred retailer. 

Win/Win

7 326
 10-19-2016, 09:59 PM
User Info
(10-19-2016, 09:53 PM)vigilantesd Wrote: Why don't you just order the sampler pack from tryablade ? It comes with one (1) blade each of everything available (9 different artist club blades, 8 for the Mongoose set). That way you could try them all, then buy the ones you like most from your preferred retailer. 

Win/Win

That is most certainly what I will do! 

ADDENDUM: Now done, just waiting on Rx to restock!

Thanks! 

(I didn't know what tryablade was)

16 230
 10-19-2016, 10:58 PM
User Info
(10-19-2016, 09:59 PM)SimpleShave17 Wrote:
(10-19-2016, 09:53 PM)vigilantesd Wrote: Why don't you just order the sampler pack from tryablade ? It comes with one (1) blade each of everything available (9 different artist club blades, 8 for the Mongoose set). That way you could try them all, then buy the ones you like most from your preferred retailer. 

Win/Win

That is most certainly what I will do! 

ADDENDUM: Now done, just waiting on Rx to restock!

Thanks! 

(I didn't know what tryablade was)

He doesn't do a lot of advertising, if any. His prices are high for quantities, but he provides a great service in blade variety packs, and sells singles of DE ( and SE) to just try a few rather than a whole pack. 

Good luck!

7 326
 10-21-2016, 07:13 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Please note that Feather Pro Super SE blades are wider than Feather Pro and Kai Mild and will not fit in the Asylum Rx

113 1,495