10-19-2016, 10:41 AM
User Info
I have no problem purchasing high priced or expensive shaving products.  I have 60 soaps, softs soaps and creams many of which are expensive based on their weight.  I have a substantial amount invested in my many brushes as well as paying $299 for an ATT 5 piece razor.  There are however, products that I am not willing to pay ridicules prices for.  That is not to say that I disagree with those who do purchase such products nor am I attempting to convince others to follow my lead.  Everything associated with wet shaving is subjective and should stay that way.  The following just represents what I do.  There are two products that I have decided to use instead of more expensive ones.

The first is buying a hard soap in the in the company’s bowl.  If a refill is available I will purchase it.  For instance DR Harris sells for about $35 in their beech wood bowl.   But the refill costs about $18.  So, for the price of the puck in the bowl you can buy two refills.  L’occitane sells a puck of Cade hard soap for $12.  The bowl costs $28.  Several years ago I came across a product made by Pyrex and now Anchor Hocking makes the same thing.  It is a very heavy duty glass container with a sealable top that holds 8 ounces of liquid.  They are perfect for hard soap pucks.  The Pyrex sells for about $8.00 plus tax for four, about $2.40 each.  The Anchor Hocking sells for $5 and change for four about $1.40 each.  Thats a lot better than s starting price of $17 for a DR Harris bowl.  The tops completely seal the bowl so you can travel without the top falling off.  I keep mine in a large draw and they stack perfectly.  I currently am using 20 of them.  At least 90% of the soaps I purchased fit perfectly in them.  I only have a few brands that need trimming.  Those that are a little larger can be trimmed to fit.  I simply take a very sharp thin knife and carefully trim the edges.  I suggest not using a potato peeler.  Once I trim the excess off I push the puck into a bowl and press it down.  I take the excess pieces and cover the top of the puck, poor water over it and let sit for several minutes, drain it and flatten them down with my thumbs and let dry.  After about three or four loading with a brush they appear to be gone.  The bowl on the left is an example.  The one in the middle was a puck or DR Harris Windsor that fit perfectly and the third is smaller.  Wet the bottom of the puck and it glues itself to the bowl.

[Image: jwGThkN.jpg]

And the second are bowls to make lather in.  For a year or two I’ve faced lathered with at least 90% of my soaps and creams.  Recently, I started bowl lathered again after I read a thread “Don’t quit your lather too soon” on another blog.  The first product I used when I started bowl lathering again was Queen Charlotte, Fougere.  I was able to make a half a bowl of lather and had much more than what I needed for three passes.  I was very impressed because I never got that much lather from this product while face lathering.  This is another product, that I am not willing to buy expensive lather bowls or scuttles.  I know and understand that many shavers collect these and there are many people who make custom bowls and scuttles which I think are impressive looking products.  In the photo below you can see what I use to bowl lather.  Each of the 4 can hold 8 ounces of liquid.  The orange, black and yellow ones are actually Salsa bowls that you can generally buy at Mexican food stores.  Here in the Southwest there are several very large Mexican super markets that sell these useful bowels.  And, the best part, they only cost $1.49.  The green one my wife found buried in a kitchen cabinet.  I use that one to soak my brush in with distilled water while I shower.  I am not suggesting however, that people use these instead of the collection of bowls and scuttles.  But, for those starting to wet shave or bowl lathering it is a cheap way of trying. 

[Image: Ut6QguT.jpg]

0 253
 10-19-2016, 11:28 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Great info Tidepool. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

61 4,628
 10-19-2016, 11:29 AM
User Info
Some would say that you being cheap, others thrifty ..... I say your being smart! Thumbup  I recently picked up from the Goodwill, two asian rice bowls with a convex base (great to holding on to) ~4-5 inches diameter. They work great as a lathering bowl. As for my soaps, I recycle short (2.5 inches tall) peanut butter jars; won't break when I drop them and stack well.  
[Image: Rww1z4I.jpg]

0 596
 10-19-2016, 11:31 AM
User Info
And now you know what I look like.   Cool

0 596
 10-19-2016, 11:42 AM
User Info
(10-19-2016, 11:31 AM)GreeneMD Wrote: And now you know what I look like.   Cool

I was wondering if that was you.  When I was in collage I took and elective of "Art Appreciation".  We studied the Spanish artist El Greco who painted himself in all of his paintings.  Well done sir.  I agree with you.  You can use almost anything that is large enough to make a lather.

0 253
 10-19-2016, 12:31 PM
User Info
I always bowl lather, and I use a bowl I picked up at Target for about 4 bucks.  Purchase of the bowl sent some money for food to feed hungry people, so that was a bonus, too.  I've been using that bowl every day for years now and it continues to perform its function well.  

I, too, buy pucks and put them into Anchor Hocking bowls or into tins from Stirling that my wife gave me for Christmas last year.

2 1,552
 10-19-2016, 02:05 PM
User Info
I face lather exclusively.  I also use artisan soaps, which come in simple metal  tins or plastic tubs.   I did try to buy the CRSW limited edition soap and bowl.  However, that bowl was a beautiful, handmade artisan product.

50 6,426
 10-19-2016, 03:43 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I'm with you on refills but I'll take a scuttle everyday. Art that's functional and produces a warm brush.

9 462
 10-19-2016, 04:28 PM
User Info
For refill pucks I have about a dozen empty PETG jars available from Maggard: http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/emp...soap-jars/

The build quality is second to none, perfect size for most pucks, and also comparable size to tubs of other soap makers so easy to stack them up. I highly recommend them.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

14 98
 10-20-2016, 12:44 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Been using the Pyrex/Anchor Hocking containers for a few years now and for the same reason. I face lather so my scuttle gathers dust and my lather bowl reverted back to being my cereal bowl.

Bob

0 1,694
 10-20-2016, 06:38 AM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
I found a small steel bowl at a dollar store and I find it the perfect size for lathering.  I belive it is technically an 8oz steel ramekin.

0 360
 10-22-2016, 03:23 PM
  • Jorvaljr
  • Temple city, California
User Info
(10-20-2016, 06:38 AM)naiyor Wrote: I found a small steel bowl at a dollar store and I find it the perfect size for lathering.  I belive it is technically an 8oz steel ramekin.

I bought a similar bowl and it works well

3 186