10-19-2016, 03:37 PM
User Info
When I was shaving this evening, I wondered if you guys have a favourite soap/cream you love, but still it has that thing, that annoya you about it - do you own such a soap ?

Mine is MWF.

Always gave me problems getting stable lather from it.

Until I learned to load enough product.

Then I got great shaves using MWF.

What annoys me about it now, is that MWF is a soap, that takes extra time to use for me.

B&M, Caties, MDC, creams and other soaps just explode into a rich thick great stable lather for me and my hard water.

MWF not so.

I literally have to load the life out of the soap.
Lather is flying all over and coming out of the big MWF bowl.

I spend minimum 4-5 minutes loading heavily, when I use MWF.

The first 1 minute is just thin proto lather. Out with that. Bubbles.

Then I start to get something, yet it still needs far more loading to get there.
Once I'm there, I also spend 2-3 minutes longer face lathering MWF than any other of my 100's of soaps.

It's also very thirsty, and I need to add water patiently during the face lathering process.

But once I get to the point, where I can see the lather is gettting thick and stable, I know it will be a great shave.

So what is your love & hate soap ?

24 5,840
 10-19-2016, 03:47 PM
  • ddk13
  • Nebraska
User Info
Mine would be Mystic Waters.  I find them to be some of my favorite scented soaps that I own.  However, for me MW is a very finicky soap.  But when I do find that sweet spot and it all comes together the lather, scent and post shave are absolutely wonderful and hard to beat.

42 581
 10-19-2016, 04:00 PM
User Info
I agree with both above MWF and MW both make you work for the lather. I also have very hard water and from what I hear that hinders a soaps ability to lather easily. I'm also going to add MDC original and fougere due to the drying feeling I get on my face if I don't use a post shave product. Not a big deal but sometimes I do the cold water splash and go but this soap will not allow me this technique if I'm not content with dry skin that day.

59 1,407
 10-19-2016, 06:40 PM
User Info
(10-19-2016, 03:47 PM)ddk13 Wrote: Mine would be Mystic Waters.  I find them to be some of my favorite scented soaps that I own.  However, for me MW is a very finicky soap.  But when I do find that sweet spot and it all comes together the lather, scent and post shave are absolutely wonderful and hard to beat.

Have you tried the new formula of MW soaps ?

Should lather more easily........according to Celestino and Michelle.

I think if I did like Celestino did, used the MW soap as a stick, I would have no trouble lathering it, and also MWF.
It's easier to get enough of the thick stuff on your stubbles, than it is sometimes to load enogh on the brush, when you're dealing with the thicker lanolin type soaps, like MWF.

I loaded my Thäter 2-band 30 mm for no less than 6-8 minutes on the MWF puck for tonights shave. OK, I didn't soak/bloom the MWF puck, which is better for a faster load of the brush.
But still took some time to load it properly. Once it was loaded I had enough soap on the brush for 4-5 passes though.

24 5,840
 10-19-2016, 06:56 PM
User Info
Claus, I should send you some of our uber-soft water to use with MWF. Biggrin 

Personally, I have never encountered much of an issue with soaps, but I have limited them to my favourite(s).

82 21,056
 10-19-2016, 07:54 PM
User Info
(10-19-2016, 06:56 PM)celestino Wrote: Claus, I should send you some of our uber-soft water to use with MWF. Biggrin 

Personally, I have never encountered much of an issue with soaps, but I have limited them to my favourite(s).

You're in luck, Celestino.

When I really started using many different shaving creams in 2011, I could not understand how everyone in the videos and on the forums made lather just by looking at it, while I had to continue grinding and swirling for ages.

Now I know why - I lacked experience, a proper routine AND soft water  Biggrin

24 5,840
 10-19-2016, 08:14 PM
User Info
Meissner Tremonia.

Whenever I started with a bubbly MWF protolather I ended with a lather I did not like. Putting it in a large dish and two sprays of water over the puck a few seconds before hitting it with the brush made the difference.

8 1,060
 10-19-2016, 09:07 PM
User Info
Mystic Water. I only have two working lather out of perhaps 20 to 30 tried I have, and those two shaves was one of the best shaves and post shaves I ever have. Singapore have very soft water and I can't seems to get a lather out of it easily, and I have over 30 brands of soap in my den. 

More or less I have given up MW, I have yet to try the new formula as some say the newer formula is actually harder to make a lather as oppose to the previous formula.

Please, you don't have to share your techniques of how to lather MW water; I had read over 100 pages of MW worth of pages in different forum, tried almost all the method and different brushes.

0 176
 10-20-2016, 01:14 AM
User Info
Valobra products for me. Old AoS, C&S, even actual Valobra soaps all have this clay smell to them. It sucks because the soap basically outperforms everything in the known universe but no matter what scent you buy you're getting that clay very strongly..

15 1,018
 10-20-2016, 01:25 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(10-20-2016, 01:14 AM)crazindndude Wrote: Valobra products for me. Old AoS, C&S, even actual Valobra soaps all have this clay smell to them. It sucks because the soap basically outperforms everything in the known universe but no matter what scent you buy you're getting that clay very strongly..
Especially if you get the Unscented version...

49 1,939
 10-20-2016, 01:45 AM
User Info
(10-19-2016, 03:47 PM)ddk13 Wrote: Mine would be Mystic Waters.  I find them to be some of my favorite scented soaps that I own.  However, for me MW is a very finicky soap.  But when I do find that sweet spot and it all comes together the lather, scent and post shave are absolutely wonderful and hard to beat.

All with you on MW. Notoriously difficult to get the right consistency - in spite of taking cues from Nathan and Celestino. I should probably go for a MW focus month.

2 66
 10-20-2016, 06:11 AM
User Info
(10-19-2016, 08:14 PM)lloydrm Wrote: Meissner Tremonia.

Whenever I started with a bubbly MWF protolather I ended with a lather I did not like. Putting it in a large dish and two sprays of water over the puck a few seconds before hitting it with the brush made the difference.

Weird world we live in.

I own 16 Meißner Tremonia soaps, 8 Pastes and 8 soaps, and I love them and make thick great cushioness lather with in a short time.

Especially the paste is fantastic for me.

24 5,840
 10-20-2016, 06:12 AM
User Info
(10-19-2016, 09:07 PM)aerolord Wrote: Mystic Water. I only have two working lather out of perhaps 20 to 30 tried I have, and those two shaves was one of the best shaves and post shaves I ever have. Singapore have very soft water and I can't seems to get a lather out of it easily, and I have over 30 brands of soap in my den. 

More or less I have given up MW, I have yet to try the new formula as some say the newer formula is actually harder to make a lather as oppose to the previous formula.

Please, you don't have to share your techniques of how to lather MW water; I had read over 100 pages of MW worth of pages in different forum, tried almost all the method and different brushes.

Celestino can guide you - he's a M.W. expert.

24 5,840
 10-20-2016, 06:17 AM
User Info
(10-20-2016, 01:25 AM)nikos.a Wrote:
(10-20-2016, 01:14 AM)crazindndude Wrote: Valobra products for me. Old AoS, C&S, even actual Valobra soaps all have this clay smell to them. It sucks because the soap basically outperforms everything in the known universe but no matter what scent you buy you're getting that clay very strongly..

The unscented smelled like tallow to me.

Sold it.

The other Valobras, the AOS Tallow by Valobra and 2 Czech & Speak, I happen to love.
Both the scents and the performance. I agree that they do have a certain scent to them, which you could dexcribe as clay like, but I don't mine that scent.

Perhaps I also smell the amonia in my Phoenix & Beau's soaps, slightly in the background, but don't mind it or I'm anosmic to the scent.

My nose can smell most scents - I did a test once, and was told I could be used as a tester for perfume houses, because my scense of smell is top 1% among the 10.000+ they had tested.

But I can also take most scents, unless we are talking fish/shelf fish and strong cheese plus fecals. Othet than these, I can take most scents and appreciate them for what they are.

24 5,840
 10-20-2016, 06:23 AM
User Info
(10-20-2016, 06:12 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(10-19-2016, 09:07 PM)aerolord Wrote: Mystic Water. I only have two working lather out of perhaps 20 to 30 tried I have, and those two shaves was one of the best shaves and post shaves I ever have. Singapore have very soft water and I can't seems to get a lather out of it easily, and I have over 30 brands of soap in my den. 

Celestino can guide you - he's a M.W. expert.

Quite sure, after reading over 100 pages, I definitely have seen his post somewhere before and definitely have tried his method or almost every method out there.

0 176
 10-20-2016, 06:41 AM
User Info

I thin is tallow Expired, disgusting smells like soaps Vintage  Confused   Biggrin

8 1,676
 10-20-2016, 07:34 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(10-20-2016, 01:25 AM)nikos.a Wrote:

Smile
I actually enjoy that scent. Earthy and almost a leather hue in there.

57 2,545
 10-20-2016, 08:15 AM
User Info
Absolutely MWF for me as well. It leaves me with the best post shave feel of any soap I have used. Most of the time it lathers fine although never thick like Tabac does for me, but every so often it will just start to dissipate too quickly.

2 144
 10-20-2016, 08:40 AM
User Info
MW continues to frustrate me for the reasons already mentioned.  Unparalleled fragrances, it just doesn't get any better in the scent department.  However, I do not think I have the required patience to get consistent lather when so many other products lather up without issue. 

Tabac is another one I am not sure about.  The performance is top notch, the fragrance doesn't exactly leave me inspired, but I do not find it offensive either.  The thing that surprised me is that I get a minimal burning sensation on 2nd or 3rd passes.  As my nose picks up a note of cinnamon in the fragrance I am thinking that's the culprit.  Trying to determine if the fabulous results are worth the minimal irritation.  Jury is still out.

6 223
 10-20-2016, 10:19 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
With my limited time in the hobby, I'm reticent to comment, but I will anyway! Biggrin It's the good old standby Cella for me. While the scent is not my favorite, it's entirely acceptable. That said, it has every other feature that I like except one! It's cheap, lathers quickly and voluminously with a protective, thick, cushiony lather that leaves me with a good, if not the best, face feel after the shave. But, darned if I can attribute any "slickness" to it. I do a bit of touch-up during my shaves and after running a straight bar razor through the lather, I'm left with dry skin that resists touch-ups by making the razor drag in an uncomfortable way.

Maybe an OC razor would leave enough lather behind to allow more comfortable touch-ups.

0 363