10-20-2016, 05:26 AM
  • tof
User Info
With thanks to this community, I have found ANOTHER hobby. 

Over the past year or so, I have become interested in vintage Gillette razors.  I wouldn’t really call it a collection but I am trying to discover the shaving experience of those before me.  My intent is to try the various designs/models and select a few that appeal to me and/or the mood I’m in.  When I get to that point, I may consider replating my favorites.  Another thought is to possibly find a couple of handles that would add some weight and create a better balance for me.  Are there various thread sizes that I need to be concerned with?  My preference is something larger in diameter than the slim ball handles and more like the fat handle or NEW handle with a length about the same as the last two. 

Would you please provide your input on places I could find 1) replated Gillette handles or 2) new handles that fit these razors and not “break the bank”.  You experience and photos would be greatly appreciated.

Craig

1 49
 10-20-2016, 06:55 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
It sounds like you might like a Weber bulldog handle.  I think it will fit the old Gillettes, but I can't say for sure since I have not tried it.

3 535
 10-20-2016, 07:19 AM
User Info
Maggards is a good source of handles and won't break the bank. Stainless starting at $14 and gives weight in descriptions. Generally as for thread size is fairly standard in all the Gillette's razors and will fit them as well.

0 596
 10-21-2016, 01:20 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(10-20-2016, 06:55 AM)DayMan Wrote: It sounds like you might like a Weber bulldog handle.  I think it will fit the old Gillettes, but I can't say for sure since I have not tried it.

Both great suggestions. They fit older Gillettes. Most new handles fit most heads. Unless there is a shoulder that prevents them from tightening. But they all have the same threads if thats what you are worried about. 

Here is my Gillette New Long Comb with a modern Jurgen Hempel titanium.

[Image: qPIrvGJ.jpg]

72 1,225
 10-21-2016, 03:49 PM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
Check out these guys. http://hibcoshaveshoppe.com/

They restore vintage Gillettes and also sell handles that fit them. I own a replated Slim Adjustable from them. They did a very nice job.

61 507