10-21-2016, 03:24 AM
User Info
So this Is not a cart bashing thread. I use a fusion proglide everyday on my head (unless there is a sale in Hydro 5s). It gives the cleanest and smoothest head shave with out any hint of irritation even after a couple weeks of daily, 2 pass head shaves.

On my face I have been DE shaving for some time. I have been consistently using a EJ89 or a fatip piccolo and shave everyday.

Yesterday I had to hurry and used the proglide on my face. Proper prep and after shower using Baume.be cream. One pass with the grain and then one pass to touch up known problem areas.

Proglide pros; it was fast and smooth. I did get great results on my chin which takes me a while with the DE and did I say fast. All in all it provided a DFS shave with little effort or thought. I had no real irritation as a result of the shave.

Proglide cons; I missed the ritual. It did not quite that close and for a guy like me who has a 5 o'clock shadow at 11:30am that matters. Especially given my dark hair. I could feel significant growth especially in my goatee area at about noon where i could actually grab the hairs with my fingers.
For me though, the most significant con was when the hair on my neck began growing in. OMG. It was the most uncomfortable feeling I have ever had. Every time I turned my head and my neck rubbed on my shirt collar it felt like..well I don't even know how to explain it. It was awful.

I will continue to use the proglide for my head because with the exception of gilettes newest offering I have tried all the other makes and models and the proglide is the best for my head. But on the face I will stick DE or drop down to less blades if I can't.

86 891
 10-21-2016, 04:28 AM
User Info
I sold all my 50-60 new top DE razors last year and early this year.

Reason: After 5 years of testing, I did't find any DE razor, that actually improved the shave I got with my Fusion razors.

I dislike the plastic junk handles, the Gillette razors are sold with. I have bought a dozen top razor handles from Plisson, Mühle, Edwin Jagger, Acqua di Parma, Pils and others to get the best feeling during the shave with my Fusion and Mach 3 carts.

I now do this ritual to get a BBS:

1.st pass: Fusion WTG + light buffing action. Rinsing the cart 20-25 times during that pass.
2.nd pass + touch up: MACH 3 ATG + light buffing action.

DONE

I do however also own ATT SE1 and soon ATT SE2, which I use with a Feaher Pro blade.

Can't see myself ever returning to DE razor shaving again.

I got ingrown hair using my DE and I get ingrown hair using my carts. Not many, but once in a while I get one. No difference whether if I used a DE or a cart.
I have thick course stubbles, especially for a Dane.

24 5,833
 10-21-2016, 05:44 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I get fantastic results with my Fusion razors.

I think that, like any other type of shaving, your beard may need to "adjust" to cartridge shaving.

Just like the advice we give to newbies entering the world of DE shaving...we say "stick with it...your beard needs to adjust"...

Well, I think the reverse is true. Try using a cart for 2 weeks with good beard prep and you may get better results. You may not...but for a proper trial I think you need to give it more time.

Like Claus...I get my best shaves from a Fusion with heavy handle. But I still use DE razors. I'm still searching for the DE razor that shaves better than my Fusion. The closest so far is the Muhle R41. Timeless 0.95 is also close.

159 1,315
 10-21-2016, 05:59 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(10-21-2016, 03:24 AM)chromedometone Wrote: For me though, the most significant con was when the hair on my neck began growing in. OMG. It was the most uncomfortable feeling I have ever had. Every time I turned my head and my neck rubbed on my shirt collar it felt like..well I don't even know how to explain it. It was awful.

I know what you mean, I remember that feeling. I have a bike and every time I was putting my helmet, my neck felt horrible.

By the way, all the Gillette products are almost everywhere on sale, 40% off, because no one seems to buy shaving products anymore. Most guys grow a beard and trim it once in a while. I was intrigued to try one of the latest Gillette models, because of the sale, but I know I would regret it. I can't look back after having tried all the amazing SE offerings. No way the Fusions or Mach3s shave better than these. DE razors are great shavers too but I don't prefer them lately.

Technique is the key for a perfect shave and more important for your shave than any expensive software product. With proper technique, you can enjoy your shaves with a DE or a SE, even if you use the cheapest shaving cream or soap.

49 1,937
 10-21-2016, 06:15 AM
User Info
Tony, I have the same issue; I just can't get good close shaves with any cart, no matter how often I have used them. Nothing seems to shave as well as my Weber DLC and I have tried much too many shavers.
By the way, you don't use a DE on your head? I have found that they are much more effective than carts on my head, as well. Shy

To those gentlemen who do get good shaves with carts, congratulations and keep on using them since they are working for you! Thumbsup

82 21,056
 10-21-2016, 06:22 AM
User Info
(10-21-2016, 06:15 AM)celestino Wrote: Tony, I have the same issue; I just can't get good close shaves with any cart, no matter how often I have used them. Nothing seems to shave as well as my Weber DLC and I have tried much too many shavers.
By the way, you don't use a DE on your head? I have found that they are much more effective than carts on my head, as well. Shy

To those gentlemen who do get good shaves with carts, congratulations and keep on using them since they are working for you! Thumbsup

I tried DE on my head and it just takes to long and does not give me as smooth as shave as a Fusion Proglide with Flexball technology.

86 891
 10-21-2016, 06:44 AM
  • iShave
  • Calgary
User Info
Carts give me a lot of irritation, ingrown hairs, with cart shaving I'd have to give my skin days of rest before I could shave again, DE is the only way I can shave comfortably everyday. If carts work best for you that great, go with the method that works.

1 428
 10-21-2016, 09:03 AM
User Info
I had been shaving for 25 yrs with cartridge and could get very close and smooth shaves. My problem was bumps and in grown hairs. If I ever had to wear a tie, my neck would look raw by day's end. At one point about 15 years ago I switched to the bump fighter cart which was better on the skin but horribly inefficient.

Then I discovered DE razors last year and only go to a cart if I travel and cannot check in my blades.

In one if the major shaving forums, a member posted microscope pictures of hair cut with a cartridge vs a DE. It was unbelievable the difference. The pictures can tell you why you get more ingrown hair with a cart.

Btw, I suspect the cart works on your scalp because the hair grows perpendicular to the skin. Hair that grows parallel to the skin is horrible for cartridges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 44
 10-21-2016, 09:40 AM
User Info
Just don't turn your head you'll be fine!
A bunch of us were discussing this over lunch today - the vast difference between DE and Mach3/Fusion shaving.

36 886
 10-21-2016, 10:51 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Just goes to show the whole YMMV thing...

The Fusion is absolutely superb on my neck, where the DE causes some irritation and ingrown hairs. In fact, when I'm trying out new DE equipment....if I develop irritation around the neck (which is always the culprit, isn't it?) I pull out my Fusion for a few days to give my neck a "rest".

Amazing how much variation we have among shavers. I could have great shaves forever with just my Fusion and a few soaps.

But where's the fun in that???!

159 1,315
 10-21-2016, 11:00 AM
User Info
(10-21-2016, 06:22 AM)chromedometone Wrote: I tried DE on my head and it just takes to long and does not give me as smooth as shave as a Fusion Proglide with Flexball technology.

That is very interesting to hear and if it works, then all the better for you. Thumbsup

82 21,056
 10-21-2016, 12:54 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(10-21-2016, 09:40 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: Just don't turn your head you'll be fine!
A bunch of us were discussing this over lunch today - the vast difference between DE and Mach3/Fusion shaving.

Other than the online fora I only know 2 men who want to talk about shaving. These are two of the guys who I converted and remain as trad wet shavers.

4 1,898
 10-21-2016, 06:45 PM
User Info
(10-21-2016, 05:44 AM)Steelman Wrote: I get fantastic results with my Fusion razors.

I think that, like any other type of shaving, your beard may need to "adjust"  to cartridge shaving.

Just like the advice we give to newbies entering the world of DE shaving...we say "stick with it...your beard needs to adjust"...

Well, I think the reverse is true. Try using a cart for 2 weeks with good beard prep and you may get better results. You may not...but for a proper trial I think you need to give it more time.

Like Claus...I get my best shaves from a Fusion with heavy handle. But I still use DE razors. I'm still searching for the DE razor that shaves better than my Fusion. The closest so far is the Muhle R41. Timeless 0.95 is also close.

I agree 110% with every word in this post  Thumbup

24 5,833
 10-21-2016, 06:52 PM
User Info
(10-21-2016, 10:51 AM)Steelman Wrote: Just goes to show the whole YMMV thing...

The Fusion is absolutely superb on my neck, where the DE causes some irritation and ingrown hairs. In fact, when I'm trying out new DE equipment....if I develop irritation around the neck (which is always the culprit, isn't it?) I pull out my Fusion for a few days to give my neck a "rest".

Amazing how much variation we have among shavers. I could have great shaves forever with just my Fusion and a few soaps.

But where's the fun in that???!

Again, I agree.

I never started DE and wetshaving, because Fusion and Mach 3 gave me irritation. I used a brush and a shaving cream loooooong time before I ever heard of the internet and shaving forums.  Started using my first badger brush back in 1998, a Pils 3-band badger, I got it on sale, with a Pils Mach 3 for 50% off back in 1998. 

I just liked the tradition, their design and the whole idea of using a DE blade og a SE blade to shave with.

24 5,833
 10-22-2016, 04:54 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I haven't used a cart since I started shaving with a DE. I made the switch because my skin was irritated, I got ingrown hairs, and they always clogged up. I used Kiss My Face, so I don't think my choice of cream had anything to do with my issues. I did shave in the shower and probably used too much pressure. 

I have changed some things up since switching. I shave with cold water now and I use a pre shave oil. I sometimes wonder if I could use a cart now that I have made these changes, but I enjoy shaving with my DEs so much that I haven't tried it yet. Even if I tried it and it worked, I still wouldn't go back. I don't have any problems with people using carts. They're just not for me.

3 529
 10-22-2016, 02:12 PM
User Info
If I shaved my head, I'd probably use a cart for it... Easier to do when you can't see what you're shaving. I have read that SEs like GEMs are good for head shaving because it's easier to set the angle.

0 1,052
 10-23-2016, 02:12 AM
User Info
I wouldn't use anything else on my head. At the moment it's a Bolin Webb Mach 3 but I rotate that with the fusion version.

7 1,182
 10-23-2016, 03:39 AM
User Info
I shave my head in the shower and use a cartridge.   I've used Fusion, Schick Hydro 3,  and Mach 3, but then switched to Dorco Pace 3.  I found the Pace 3 shaved as well as the more expensive Gillette and Schick.  About three months ago I changed to Harry's, and I'm very pleased with the results.   However,  I always use a straight, SE or DE on my face. The only exception is when I'm traveling and carrying on luggage.  It's all a matter of using the best tool for the job.   For me, a cartridge works best on my head but not my face.

47 5,688
 10-26-2016, 08:42 AM
User Info
agree with Steelman "where's the fun in that?"  I truly believe that my head is bumpier than most and the proglide fusion just works for me. i have used de's and it is time consuming on my head but that isn't the problem.  A ready supply of styptic is needed if I de shave my head.   The entire ritual of wet shaving is the core of my love of shaving.  My beautiful wengewood fusion remains a star in my den.  It's all a win

73 1,260
 10-27-2016, 02:47 AM
User Info
Guys, try the new Fusion ProShield carts in yellow. I think Gillette have hardened the blades and given them a new coating, they slice through my whiskers like a hot knife and they're a definite improvement on the Gillette ProFusions.

23 474