10-21-2016, 03:26 AM
User Info
Just got MDC shaving soap in the plastic jar. For me, today's shave was a 10 of 10s, an absolute A+. I seek any info on best practices: brush selection for MDC, lathering, anything.

36 886
 10-21-2016, 03:37 AM
User Info
My advice. Just use it. It's just shaving soap. A nice shaving soap, but shaving soap nonetheless. Use it shave, shave...rinse, lather and repeat.

87 891
 10-21-2016, 03:54 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Probably one of the most intuitive soaps to use.  You can use any brush with it for the same results, and I find it very tolerant of different techniques---no tips from me besides just enjoy it!

34 1,628
 10-21-2016, 04:21 AM
User Info
Just use it !

Remember an after shave balm, both my MDC (glass jars from 2015) dries my skin out slightly after the shave. Just slightly drying for me.

This is why MDC is no longer among my top soaps in my den.

24 5,841
 10-21-2016, 04:49 AM
User Info
Use moisturizer as this is probably the most drying soap in my den as well. 

Normally extra water does well to increase slickness and hydration, but it may make MdC runny. MdC does seem to EXPLODE into lather even sitting next to a brush.

18 642
 10-21-2016, 05:52 AM
User Info
Great stuff. Push the water a little bit to minimize dry skin.

52 1,175
 10-21-2016, 06:11 AM
User Info
Dry skin? The soap has glycerin...hmmmm, could be a case of ymmv.

36 886
 10-21-2016, 06:37 AM
User Info
(10-21-2016, 05:52 AM)david1201 Wrote: Great stuff. Push the water a little bit to minimize dry skin.

+1. Add enough water as you go for added slickness! Don't start shaving until you get that shinny sheen on the brush. Enjoy it! The fougere is a beautiful scent. FWIW It never dried my skin, but of course ymmv

9 769
 10-21-2016, 06:40 AM
User Info
It's great stuff!!! Which scent did you get? I like both the Original and the Fougere, I think it's still my favorite fougere!

As noted above, make sure you use enough water or it can be drying.

7 305
 10-21-2016, 06:49 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(10-21-2016, 06:11 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: Dry skin? The soap has glycerin...hmmmm, could be a case of ymmv.

Typically, soaps with a high content of coconut oil tend to make it easier to obtain a good lather from, but the end results can be somewhat drying to some skin types post-shave.  This is a common gripe with these soaps--not by everyone, but many (including myself) have observed and reported on this at one point or another...and as always YMMV and all that. 

You mentioned glycerin--I don't know if MdC adds glycerin to their formula or simply does not remove the glycerin that is naturally formed while making the soap (like most commercial products do). It is certainly NOT a glycerin soap (like Mama Bear, Col. Conk, etc..). Also, while glycerin can be beneficial to the skin, in certain environments such as very dry weather it can actually be drying to the skin, not moisturizing.  I have personally experienced this when I lived in AZ. 

MdC is slightly drying to my skin post-shave when compared to several other soaps, but this is easily offset with my usual application of a post-shave product whether it be a dedicated AS or Unrefined Shea Butter or a combination of both--therefore a non-issue for me. 

Regardless, I do enjoy soaps that have exceptional skin conditioning/healing properties as I find those qualities supplement the AS product instead of being overridden by it.  I find MdC neutral in this regard, and I would consider it a fault when compared to other favorites of mine that leave my skin feeling much better after the shave.  That being said, that fault is easily overlooked when taking into consideration the extreme ease of latherability and the performance during the actual shave itself.  Most other soaps require at least double the initial effort to get the same quality of lather that MdC seems to give instantly.  My shaves with MdC usually result in the shortest shave time (even creams take me longer to build lather vs MdC).  I am still a huge fan of MdC and hope to always have both the original and Fougere in my den.

34 1,628
 10-21-2016, 08:27 AM
User Info
(10-21-2016, 06:37 AM)snowman Wrote:
(10-21-2016, 05:52 AM)david1201 Wrote: Great stuff. Push the water a little bit to minimize dry skin.

+1. Add enough water as you go for added slickness! Don't start shaving until you get that shinny sheen on the brush. Enjoy it! The fougere is a beautiful scent. FWIW It never dried my skin, but of course ymmv

I agree. Don't forget to use more water with MDC. It will surely make the lather bloom!

24 698
 10-21-2016, 03:53 PM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
(10-21-2016, 04:21 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Just use it !

Remember an after shave balm, both my MDC (glass jars from 2015) dries my skin out slightly after the shave. Just slightly drying for me.

Yes to that.

17 402
 10-21-2016, 04:11 PM
User Info
(10-21-2016, 06:40 AM)vigilantesd Wrote: It's great stuff!!! Which scent did you get? I like both the Original and the Fougere, I think it's still my favorite fougere!

As noted above, make sure you use enough water or it can be drying.

The regular and fougere scents are both fantastic, but the unscented variety is very underrated. Although it is unscented, it has a nice smell to it, from the ingredients that it is made of. Kind of reminds me of freshly printed paperback books, as odd as that sounds.

3 196
 10-21-2016, 04:38 PM
User Info
Enjoy this soap as it was considered by most not many years ago to be the grail. Before artisans it was MDC , yardley , MWF , and Tabac that reigned supreme. I need to re stock my pots of MDC and will do so in short time.

59 1,408
 10-21-2016, 04:54 PM
User Info
MdC can deff be drying. But, there is always a way around that. If you can be patient, this soap can do wonders. The soap can bring a thick, slick lather, if you add water slowly, in increments. Hope that works for ya!

8 190
 10-21-2016, 05:20 PM
User Info
(10-21-2016, 08:27 AM)llalm Wrote:
(10-21-2016, 06:37 AM)snowman Wrote:

I agree. Don't forget to use more water with MDC. It will surely make the lather bloom!

Agree as well. It lathers quickly. Don't let that stop you from continuing to slowly add water. It's definitely a hydrophilic soap. Do this and you'll find it's not as drying, if not at all. You may feel that it is expensive therefore you must conserve. I say bully to that, that wonder puck will outlast all common sense.

~Royce

4 373
 10-22-2016, 04:06 AM
User Info
(10-21-2016, 05:20 PM)DudeAbides Wrote:
(10-21-2016, 08:27 AM)llalm Wrote:
(10-21-2016, 06:37 AM)snowman Wrote: +1. Add enough water as you go for added slickness! Don't start shaving until you get that shinny sheen on the brush. Enjoy it! The fougere is a beautiful scent. FWIW It never dried my skin, but of course ymmv

Agree as well. It lathers quickly. Don't let that stop you from continuing to slowly add water. It's definitely a hydrophilic soap. Do this and you'll find it's not as drying, if not at all. You may feel that it is expensive therefore you must conserve. I say bully to that, that wonder puck will outlast all common sense.

~Royce

All excellent tips! As Royce said, don't try to be be conservative with the considering the price! As a matter of fact, this is probably THE CHEAPEST luxury soap in the market when you consider the nUmber of shaves you get from it! The puck lasts forever...
One additional tip, definitely heavy heavy by don't go too crazy. You'll see how easy for this soap to transfer to the brush and build a great lather. If you load for too long, you may have too much lather to work with or more than the brush can handle! So keep this in mind! MDC literally explodes when you add water... so keep it in check Smile

9 769
 10-22-2016, 04:19 AM
User Info
(10-21-2016, 04:21 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Just use it !

Much agreed Claus. I have a 2015 jar. Brilliant scent, but my face is just so incredibly dry after that I regret spending the 70 dollars on this jar and wish I had bought a jar of Nuavia instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 517
 10-22-2016, 06:07 AM
User Info
(10-21-2016, 03:54 AM)Giorgio Wrote: Probably one of the most intuitive soaps to use.  You can use any brush with it for the same results, and I find it very tolerant of different techniques---no tips from me besides just enjoy it!

I agree.  As a relative newbie I find it to be one of the easiest soaps to get good results.

0 11
 10-22-2016, 06:48 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Just make sure it's hydrated - the soap should rinse off the razor easily under a stream of water. MdC is very soluble and you can end up with white stuff on your face that isn't a proper lather, so be sure you load the brush well and work up a good lather.

Cheers, Steve

7 466