11-09-2016, 07:17 PM
User Info
(11-08-2016, 06:39 AM)whiteboy_cannon Wrote:
(11-07-2016, 05:57 PM)Niemander Wrote: Hmm - sort of agree with the "oxymoron" thought.  Derby is ok, but I've got about 98 remaining of my package of 100 bought last year about this time, so it's going to take some time before I consider buying more - time, and a lot of consistently rave reviews.
These are completely different blades. I couldn't get a single good shave with the Derby extras, but these new Derby premiums are excellent. Very sharp and smooth. Easily In my top 5 DE blades

Thanks for your reply.  +1

How would you compare it with say, a Polsilver (my #1 blade)?

0 374
 11-15-2016, 04:19 PM
User Info
when I get mine I will share my opinion

0 135
 11-18-2016, 03:48 PM
User Info
Got the blades from TheLegalRazor today.  Disclaimer: I'm totally NOT a fan of 'regular' Derby blades.

Threw them into my trusty BBS-1 with some SV 70th Ani soap.  A razor-soap combo I'm intimately familiar with.

First shave thoughts: Boy these things are SMOOTH; Astra Super Platinum smooth.

Not the sharpest of the bunch, but easy going.  Alum block test passed with flying colors.  I look forward to seeing how the durability goes and to see the blade's temperament with other razors (because let's be real is there a 'bad blade' for the BBS-1)?  Next razor, a polished blackbird.

Depending on pricing they may be my low budget high quality go to; something I'd be happy to use at home once in a while and definitely something in my travel bag once my drugstore special personnas are done.

Editorial: Glue dots, damn glue dots.  Not as egregious as some others, but they are there albeit on the lighter side of things.

17 575
 11-19-2016, 08:01 AM
User Info
I received them in the mail on Thursday from TheLegalRazor, (thank you once again). I use the set up of a SS Flair some Stirling Orange Chill and an Omega 40033.

My first thoughts after first pass; these are sharp enough for a fine shave, but not as sharp as Polsilvers. Gave a nice smooth shave and one could almost be a reckless shaver.

I believe these would be a great blade for traveling or a new shaver's beginning blade. Very forgiving, and I was seeing how crazy I could get with them. I literally was thinking of buying some for my son as he begins DE shaving, but just a few packs; just enough to build some confidence in DE shave, but not so many as to have sloppy technique.

They gave me a really great shave with no agitation, weepers, or redness (and I was trying to push the limit). 

I will buy a 100 to split up with my boys. Great for them starting off and me when I'm in a rush or traveling.

Thanks again to the generosity TheLegalRazor

0 591
 11-21-2016, 09:10 AM
User Info
I received some via Ricardo's generosity and used one in my mildest razor Saturday night (Feather AS-D1). I got a smooth shave, but not nearly as close as i usually get with this razor and GSBs, Gillette Platinums, or Med Preps. Not very close on the neck area, my biggest problem at times, and 3 small weepers. One of the weepers needed some styptic pen to quit, but I'd lay that to my aspirin regimen. I'll give it another go-around in the Feather, then a couple of shaves in an ATT S1 when I dig that out from the trip back home.

My first impression, which I'd like to disprove, is that they're not quite sharp or smooth enough to be a good match for a very mild razor. YMMV

8 103
 11-21-2016, 10:13 AM
User Info
I received my Derby Premiums from Ricardo @ TheLegalRazor on Saturday (thank you for letting us all try them out!!)...tried for the first time this morning.

First impression; 2 things - glue dots, the blade is quite thin.  Got me a little worried about it bouncing/skipping along, but I wouldn't be deterred.  

Stirling Soap / Merkur 34C
Surprisingly smooth, not overly sharp (certainly sharper than Extras), and the blade did not bounce/skip.  Did a 3 pass shave and was rewarded with a DFS, one weeper at the usual spot (scar under chin), no irritation.  Tested with alum, very nice.  It is a decent first showing for this blade.  Will try it again in the same razor and see if 2nd use changes anything.  So far, I'd say this would be a really good blade to start wet shaving with.  It would also be a very nice backup to have handy.  We'll see if its fortunes improve.

1 192
 11-21-2016, 08:51 PM
User Info
My blades from the generous Ricardo arrived the other day and I put one in my Muhle/EJ 89 today. It is definitely sharper than a regular Derby! My shave yielded an excellent shave, BBS in all but a few typical problem areas, although I did get some razor burn. My Chiseled Face Sherlock took the sting off promptly. I found the blade smooth enough, no skipping except for like one or two strokes so I'm going to assume operator error there. I liked that the Derby Premium gives more audible feedback than an Astra or normal Derby.

6 595
 11-22-2016, 09:14 AM
User Info
Day 2 with the Derby and another DFS (Merkur 34C / Mickey Lee's Soapworks).  It may have been the change in soap but the blade seemed a bit smoother today, however it did not seem to cut any better than yesterday.  I have had a slightly different experience than Gig103 in that I do not get much audible feedback whatsoever, so definitely YMMV.

Smooth shave, no cuts or weepers, no irritation.  At least for my face, I don't think this is a blade to use when chasing BBS.  I wouldn't be able to get it without a lot of irritation.  But it is a very decent performer.

1 192
 11-23-2016, 09:06 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
Through the good offices of Ricardo I also received some Derby Premiums to try. So far, in a word, they're wonderful! Detail as follows: My go to razor and blade, at this time, is the Feather AS-D2 with the ASTRA SP blade. I would say my beard and face are pretty normal. I'm not prone to irritation from either blades or soaps. Prep is hot or cold. Don't notice any difference in the shave, so merely prefer hot in the winter and cold in the summer. Only 4 soaps are rotated so they are a known.

That said, if I were to shave without knowing whether I had a Derby Prem. of an ASTRA SP in the AS-D2, I doubt I could tell which is which. The AS-D2 makes a lot of blades look good in my shaves. The Derby Extras work well, also. The Premiums are discernibly sharper  than the Extras, and smoothness the same. In the end, though, my normal 2 pass with some touch-up comes out to the same DFS+ or BBS- shave regardless of whether the ASTRA or the Derby Prem. is used. 

I wish the wax dots were not there or at least reduced a bit, but I can live with them if necessary. Only two shaves on the Derby Prem. so far. I get 4 solid shaves from the ASTRAS and if the new Derbys will do the same it will be a good alternative for me. With the luxury of 5 Derby Prems. to work with, I'll be able to try them in my Gillette vintage razors, but wanted to get, at least, this much info out ASAP. I'm thinking the new Derbys will perform differently in, say a Fat Boy as opposed to the AS-D2, but the proof is in the shaving. As usual, the foregoing applies to my face and my technique or as we say... YMMV!

0 363
 11-23-2016, 09:50 AM
User Info
Day 3

'56 Gillette Super Speed Red Tip (decided to try a bit more aggressive today)
Mike's Natural Soaps

Yet another DFS today, a little better than the first two.  I believe this blade is made for more aggressive razors.  We'll see when its put into a slant   Tongue.  Definitely got a bit more audible feedback today in the SS.
Once again, no unusual irritation or weepers.

1 192
 11-25-2016, 01:44 PM
User Info
Received some of these thanks to Ricardo, and tried them for the first time yesterday. First things first - they were way better than Derby Extra, which entails a bit of skipping around my face and lots of repeat strokes. These were definitely sharper. Sort of. I had the odd experience of the blade gliding smoothly around my face as if I was using one of the nicer Russian Gillette blades, appearing to mow everything down with ease, but after the pass had a surprising amount of hair left uncut and a surprising amount of irritation. After the shave was over I still had the irritation, but the hair was all gone, just not quite as close as I am used to. I regularly trade off between Astra, Gillette 7 o'clock, Polsilver SI, and other blades, so I don't know if somehow this new Derby Premium requires a difference in technique that I'm not used to. I was shaving with a very mild razor, the 40s-style Gillette Super Speed TTO. Thanks again Ricardo.

5 89
 11-25-2016, 05:34 PM
User Info
My second shave was Wednesday and it was smoother and gave me no razor burn. Today I used an Astra and missed the audible feedback of the Derby. I'm impressed so far with Derby Premium and need to try it against a few others. I have been considering a 100pk of Rapira Platinum Lux, but these might be better!

6 595
 11-27-2016, 04:26 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
Continuation Of My Post #29...

The 3rd and 4th shaves with the Derby Premium in my go-to Feather AS-D2 are now complete with nothing new to report. Shaves 3 and 4 were exactly as Nos. 1 and 2. This satifies me that for me and my face and technique, the Derby Premiums are precisely the same as my go-to ASTRA SPs and will be a fine alternative.  When they're more widely stocked in the U.S. they are probably going to be a bit less expensive than the ASTRAS (not that the ASTRAS are expensive). Four good, solid shaves from an inexpensive blade makes me a happy camper.

Down the road, I'll be trying them with my vintage Gillette DE razors and will report accordingly. For now, they please me enough, with the one razor, to use them interchangably with the ASTRAS. I'd be interested in hearing from our benefactor for these blades on his cumulative opinion on them. What say you, Ricardo?

0 363
 11-27-2016, 05:47 PM
User Info
I opened my letter up today containing 5 derby premium blades. (Thanks Ricardo! Smile ). Yesterdays shave was with a derby extra and it was an awesome shave. Todays shave went just as well. Used my Merkur Futur again. Will have to see how long it holds up and if my thoughts change in time.

0 89
 11-27-2016, 07:12 PM
User Info
(11-27-2016, 05:47 PM)Stainless Wrote: I opened my letter up today containing 5 derby premium blades. (Thanks Ricardo! Smile ). Yesterdays shave was with a derby extra and it was an awesome shave. Todays shave went just as well. Used my Merkur Futur again. Will have to see how long it holds up and if my thoughts change in time.

I'm glad they made it up to you.  We'll look forward to your report on the blades.

41 4,569
 11-28-2016, 08:51 PM
User Info
My third shave was with more growth than usual, and I only had time for two passes, and the rush meant I screwed up my lather.

Considering all the challenges, the Derby did fine. It did show me that it probably isn't as smooth as Astra (which I've used with sub par lathers too) but it's no slouch. I might be picking up a pack of these once my 5 are gone.

6 595
 11-29-2016, 07:36 AM
User Info
I had a third shave with one of the Premiums last night, again in a Feather AS-D1. This is possibly the mildest razor around, certainly the mildest I've ever used. It makes a Muhle/Jagger 89 seem aggressive in comparison. In my opinion, a razor this mild really needs a smooth blade, the sharper the better. While I'm getting a really comfortable shave with this combo, it's really not more than a DFS at best. Also noticeable are occasional tugs seemingly out of nowhere, and a LOT of buffing and touchup. Even with that there are patches that simply don't get closely shaved. So I think this isn't the best combo for the Derby Premium.

I think the next razor to get a trial with the premium will be either a 30's Aristocrat OC (mid aggressive?), or an earlier R-41 (OC and quite aggressive). If the behavior doesn't improve with either or both of these razors, I'll be forced to conclude that these blades aren't destined for a role in my den. YMMV

I will give the Premiums, however, a big thumbs up for being a major improvement on the original Derbys. The difference is like night and day to me.

8 103
 03-30-2017, 10:43 PM
User Info
I just used another Derby Platinum this week, and I had good-to-very-good shaves. I had actually forgotten what blade I had in the razor, but after today's I felt like it was not very smooth so I swapped it out. Going to go back to Astra to see how they compare (same razor).

I still don't think I'd buy more, but if the price was right I'd be tempted.

6 595