08-06-2012, 03:13 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Anybody try either of these soaps? Are they the same soap? Curious about the scent also from the description sounds like mwf mayby? Huh

Thanks
Toby

115 1,692
 08-06-2012, 04:11 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Hello Toby,I have tried both.

The Joris and the Plisson which comes of the round tin,have the same scent and shape,also ingredients.It seems to me that are made by the same factory which makes the TOBS and Floris soaps,based on their shape.

The Plisson which comes on the squared box has a different scent as well as shape,but the same ingredients.This soap has the same scent than the Maison du Barbier soap (another Vikim Diffusion brand,only available in France,and hard to find these days).

I have tried the 3 of the with great results,but I must admit that I dont like the scent of the Joris/Plison which comes on the rounded tin.I do really like the scent of the Plisson squared box and Maison du Barbier.

All these soaps are palm oil based and made in UK.Its very easy to make lather from them.

Hope this answers your question.

86 7,123
 08-06-2012, 04:14 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Thanks Teiste

115 1,692
 08-06-2012, 04:16 PM
User Info
(08-06-2012, 03:13 PM)Triad Wrote: Anybody try either of these soaps? Are they the same soap? Curious about the scent also from the description sounds like mwf mayby? Huh

Thanks
Toby
I did a little bit of googling, and from reading another forum, it seems that some feel the Joris has a "discreet floral"/earth scent. The Plisson is some kind of citrus scent. Take these with a grain of salt.

Performance wise, it's supposedly mediocre, but leaves the skin feeling nice.

I would trust Teiste over some other yahoo, though. Wink

1 168
 08-06-2012, 04:17 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I didnt mention their scents,sorry.

The Joris/Plisson rounded tin ones,has a sweet/flowery/powdery scent.My friend Andrew loves it and myself not that much.

The Plisson squared carboard boax and the Maison du Barbier smells more like "wet wood" or "wet soil",but not like D.R. Harris Almond shaving soap.Its a mix of woods and fresh notes.This one I really like it.

86 7,123
 08-06-2012, 04:20 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-06-2012, 04:16 PM)Grant_Atwood Wrote:
(08-06-2012, 03:13 PM)Triad Wrote: Anybody try either of these soaps? Are they the same soap? Curious about the scent also from the description sounds like mwf mayby? Huh

Thanks
Toby
I did a little bit of googling, and from reading another forum, it seems that some feel the Joris has a "discreet floral"/earth scent. The Plisson is some kind of citrus scent.

mmm,I wouldn't define these soaps mediocre at all! The lather is very dense and thick,like a tallow based shaving soap,and yes,they leave the skin very nourished (and I have dry skin).
I think that some folks out there need to learn how to make proper lather from triple milled UK soaps (no offense here).They expect them to perform like glycerin based soaps or shaving creams,and this is not the case,so their lather is very thin and poor,and they blame the soap,instead of changing their technique.I have seen/red this a lot of times.

86 7,123
 08-06-2012, 04:37 PM
User Info
(08-06-2012, 04:20 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(08-06-2012, 04:16 PM)Grant_Atwood Wrote:

Thanks
Toby
I did a little bit of googling, and from reading another forum, it seems that some feel the Joris has a "discreet floral"/earth scent. The Plisson is some kind of citrus scent.

mmm,I wouldn't define these soaps mediocre at all! The lather is very dense and thick,like a tallow based shaving soap,and yes,they leave the skin very nourished (and I have dry skin).
I think that some folks out there need to learn how to make proper lather from triple milled UK soaps (no offense here).They expect them to perform like glycerin based soaps or shaving creams,and this is not the case,so their lather is very thin and poor,and they blame the soap,instead of changing their technique.I have seen/red this a lot of times.

I could understand how this would happen. I myself finally learned how to make a proper lather this week after wet shaving since March. Too much water killed me every time - I think my chest would have more soap than my face did from dripping after 3 passes!

1 168
 08-06-2012, 04:54 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-06-2012, 04:37 PM)Grant_Atwood Wrote:
(08-06-2012, 04:20 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(08-06-2012, 04:16 PM)Grant_Atwood Wrote: I did a little bit of googling, and from reading another forum, it seems that some feel the Joris has a "discreet floral"/earth scent. The Plisson is some kind of citrus scent.

I could understand how this would happen. I myself finally learned how to make a proper lather this week after wet shaving since March. Too much water killed me every time - I think my chest would have more soap than my face did from dripping after 3 passes!
Well done! Now you can experience how good the triple milled soaps are.

Some people dont even now how to make proper lather,and they blame it on the soap.Im sure that Plisson and Joris soaps have received these commentaries from guys they dont even know how to use them properly.

These soaps are very good,trust me,if you know how to make lather from them.Andrew has the Joris soap, which I borrowed from him, and he can tell you how good its the lather.

86 7,123
 08-06-2012, 07:36 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
And I will, Teiste. The Joris is an excellent soap, from many standpoints. I think the scent is fantastic - fresh, clean, floral in a masculine way. This is a scent I could enjoy every morning, were it not for all of the other products in my den. This soap lathers like any of the best of my English triple milled soaps, including Trumper and Harris. It takes a little more work than the Valobra soaps (C&S, AOS), but the effort is rewarded.

43 1,690
 08-06-2012, 07:42 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-06-2012, 07:36 PM)Andrew Wrote: And I will, Teiste. The Joris is an excellent soap, from many standpoints. I think the scent is fantastic - fresh, clean, floral in a masculine way. This is a scent I could enjoy every morning, were it not for all of the other products in my den. This soap lathers like any of the best of my English triple milled soaps, including Trumper and Harris. It takes a little more work than the Valobra soaps (C&S, AOS), but the effort is rewarded.

And you truly know how to make lather,my friend.Thanks for your inputs.

86 7,123
 08-06-2012, 07:45 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Wow thorough feedback thanks!! These soaps are sure on my list to try next

115 1,692
 08-06-2012, 08:53 PM
User Info
Wow, you gents keep finding new soaps all the time! How do you do it?

75 20,883
 08-07-2012, 07:16 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-06-2012, 08:53 PM)celestino Wrote: Wow, you gents keep finding new soaps all the time! How do you do it?

Checking the online stores,like Bullgoose shaving...

86 7,123