10-21-2016, 01:48 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Hello all fellow shaving travellers.

I am not short of a razor or two, and that includes the beautiful #58 (I have a, um, a few of these) which some consider to be in a class of its own; some say it's a variety or species of the Aristocrat.

Now, I have a problem with one in my collection. The handle on it, when the silos are closed, has a wider handle gap than it should. When open, the silo doors drop down too far and the centre bar raises too high (the same issue, essentially).

I think the razor has been taken apart and not re-assembled properly, but no matter what (short of a an anatomical dissection) I cannot fix this problem. 

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

I have attached two pictures. The first is a side-by-side shot revealing the gap problem. The second picture shows the too-open silo doors thinger. 

I am in Australia (Sydney). Perhaps a know-how person living nearby would like to snap it up for a modest fee or an interesting swap, and have a go at fixing it himself (or herself?).

The razor is in bright, shiny condition with no plate loss (checking that... nope, all great).

When closed, the razor is otherwise completely normal, blade gap: check.

Photos (large format):
[Image: ukSreHr.jpg]
[Image: 6BfuSUS.jpg]

0 1,733
 10-21-2016, 02:27 PM
User Info
Did you try asking Ben to see if he has an idea for possible repair location.

0 596
 10-21-2016, 02:59 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Was thinking more along the lines of a DIY project for an interested, local person.

0 1,733
 10-22-2016, 07:02 AM
  • Jorvaljr
  • Temple city, California
User Info
Your razor has been taken apart at one time.
I had the same problem. I took a razor apart because it was jamming somewhere in the middle of the turn. When I put it back I noticed that the tray sat higher than before. Basically it took me a couple of days but I was able to get it seated right. I can understand why you have a couple. I love that razor.

3 148
 10-22-2016, 06:15 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(10-22-2016, 07:02 AM)Jorvaljr Wrote: Your razor has been taken apart at one time.
I had the same problem. I took a razor apart because it was jamming somewhere in the middle of the turn. When I put it back I noticed that the tray sat higher than before. Basically it took me a couple of days but I was able to get it seated right. I can understand why you have a couple. I love that razor.

Yes. Surprised there are no takers, but that's life I suppose. I am mechanically competent, but I don't really like to take chances when I don't have the right tools. I have seen tube clips of how to take a rocket apart, but not how to put one back together.

0 1,733
 10-22-2016, 07:29 PM
  • Jorvaljr
User Info
(10-22-2016, 06:15 PM)Shaun Wrote:
(10-22-2016, 07:02 AM)Jorvaljr Wrote: Your razor has been taken apart at one time.

Yes. Surprised there are no takers, but that's life I suppose. I am mechanically competent, but I don't really like to take chances when I don't have the right tools. I have seen tube clips of how to take a rocket apart, but not how to put one back together.

I'd love to take it off your hands and fiddle with it..

3 148
 10-22-2016, 08:49 PM
User Info
The crimp holding the handle to the baseplate seems to be loose. Try opening the silos half way through and hold the head of the razor with one hand and twist the handle in tightening motion with the other. Pretty quickly you should see how that reduces the "handle gap", as you call it. Be careful not to tighten while the doors are out place; the hook shaped part should be past the baseplate. 
Good luck.

8 1,064
 10-22-2016, 09:12 PM
  • Jorvaljr
User Info
Mm I don't think it's the crimp. The silo door assembly is actually a couple of turns away from being where it's suppose to be. I would take it back apart and reassemble just so you can see the issue. It's what I had to do when I took mine apart for cleaning.

3 148
 10-22-2016, 11:29 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
No, the crimp isn't loose. The handle is attached securely to the baseplate. I'd take it apart, but don't have the right tools for that. taking apart might be ok, but re-assembling...

0 1,733