10-21-2016, 03:10 PM
  • xow
User Info
Hi guys,

Can someone offer insight on how these two compare in terms of mildness/comfort/efficiency? I realize the General is a higher price point and is likely better machined, but that doesn't always translate to shave quality. I really enjoy milder razors that you know won't hurt you unless you really tried like the RR baby smooth (my current daily razor) and hoping to find a similar SE.

Thanks in advance

0 11
 10-21-2016, 03:21 PM
User Info
I find the shaves of both razors to be pretty similar. I think the head on the General suits me a bit better and might be slightly milder feeling but more efficient. I know that doesn't make sense but to me, The General gives me a smoother, closer shave. I like both razors and will keep both razors but I prefer the shave on the General. 

Now if you want to hear it, feel, fit and finish are also much better on the General. It's just a more polished and solid razor. 

My two cents if you are asking me which razor I'd recommend based on shave, performance, looks, feel, The General.

1 468
 10-21-2016, 04:39 PM
  • xow
User Info
(10-21-2016, 03:21 PM)SCShaver Wrote: I find the shaves of both razors to be pretty similar. I think the head on the General suits me a bit better and might be slightly milder feeling but more efficient. I know that doesn't make sense but to me, The General gives me a smoother, closer shave. I like both razors and will keep both razors but I prefer the shave on the General. 

Now if you want to hear it, feel, fit and finish are also much better on the General. It's just a more polished and solid razor. 

My two cents if you are asking me which razor I'd recommend based on shave, performance, looks, feel, The General.

What blade did you use in your comparison? And did you keep it consistent when alternating razors? It's my understanding after reading a few reviews that the Hawk works well with milder blades (i.e. Kai Mild) so maybe that's something to consider.

Look/feel is likely better given the price point, but it's important not to let looks cloud your judgement and bias your decision on shave quality. I'd love if you did a blind fold shave, one on each side of the cheek (might have to change handles so it's not a dead giveaway) to see if you could really notice a difference. Biggrin

0 11
 10-22-2016, 06:44 AM
User Info
(10-21-2016, 04:39 PM)xow Wrote:
(10-21-2016, 03:21 PM)SCShaver Wrote: I find the shaves of both razors to be pretty similar. I think the head on the General suits me a bit better and might be slightly milder feeling but more efficient. I know that doesn't make sense but to me, The General gives me a smoother, closer shave. I like both razors and will keep both razors but I prefer the shave on the General. 

What blade did you use in your comparison? And did you keep it consistent when alternating razors? It's my understanding after reading a few reviews that the Hawk works well with milder blades (i.e. Kai Mild) so maybe that's something to consider.

Look/feel is likely better given the price point, but it's important not to let looks cloud your judgement and bias your decision on shave quality. I'd love if you did a blind fold shave, one on each side of the cheek (might have to change handles so it's not a dead giveaway) to see if you could really notice a difference. Biggrin
Haha. It'd be one thing if you wanted that kind of review for an SE1 ATT or a stainless mongoose but come on. One is 19.99 and the other is 54 bucks? Get both. 

I used the Kai mild in both and hated the blade. At the moment I use the Feather Pro blade in both razors and the shaves are fantastic. In fact I spent much of last week alternating shaves each day, one day with the General and the next day with the Hawk using a Feather Pro. The conclusion I came to was I like the General the best.

1 468
 12-18-2016, 09:38 AM
User Info
The General is a better quality razor in every category and you can't beat it for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 741
 12-24-2016, 06:20 PM
User Info
I find the build quality on the hawk to be lacking. My head on mine is quite uneven. I think its a good value but nothing more.

0 57
 12-24-2016, 08:17 PM
User Info
I received my General in the other day. I really like the way it shaves and it looks good also. This one was made in China. I find the quality of the screw stud on the head to be lacking. I threaded on an ATT handle and it met some resistance. The second time I put the handle on it was okay. Then I tried a Weber handle on it and again it met some resitance. It seems the stud is made of a cheap grade of aluminum. The stud on the Hawk seems to be a  better quality aircraft type aluminum. I don't think the head on the Gereral is going to last long. Being made in China might have something to do with it.

5 1,514