10-23-2016, 09:00 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
I find the term confusing wrt a razor and its handle. Balance will  be determined solely by where the user puts his fingers on the handle and where the resultant force vector hits the handle. I see videos of shavers who grip the handle right up against where the handle meets the head, whereas others grip at various locations down to nearly the butt of the handle. 

So, if a shaver says he likes the balance of a given shaver head and handle combination can I infer that he is holding the handle at the exact point of physical balance or does he merely mean that it feels good to him when he holds it at the place on the handle that he is accustomed to whether that point is the balance point or not? Another First World consideration and problem, I know.

0 363
 10-23-2016, 09:45 AM
  • Jorvaljr
  • Temple city, California
User Info
I've seen people talk really technically about a razors build. They get into the balance , tolerances and the such. It really boggles my mind how one looks that closely. I sometimes wonder how many wet shavers are engineers ..

3 148
 10-23-2016, 09:54 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Sometimes the issue of balance is subtle and other times obvious. Take the Pils razor for instance. With a heavy head and a thin slippery handle, I found it too head heavy and uncomfortable in the hand.

46 18,089
 10-23-2016, 10:01 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Try shaving with a light aluminum handle paired with a heavy stainless steel head and you'll realise it first hand. Tongue

49 1,940
 10-23-2016, 10:40 AM
User Info
(10-23-2016, 10:01 AM)nikos.a Wrote: Try shaving with a light aluminum handle paired with a heavy stainless steel head and you'll realise it first hand. Tongue

Biggrin

82 21,056
 10-23-2016, 10:51 AM
User Info
I've got an ATT H1 head on a UFO grand titan L. It's basically weighted almost entirely via the handle, and thus not really balanced at all. But I love the way the combo shaves... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

26 986
 10-23-2016, 04:41 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I define balance based on where my hand feels comfortable holding the handle. So, my ATT has a head heavy balance. My Wolfman has a handle heavy balance. I prefer the head heavy balance, or lack thereof, but the agility of the slimmer head on the Wolfman. Too bad I can't get both in one razor.

3 535
 10-23-2016, 05:55 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Second description would be my guess, since everyone holds them differently. Yet another reason you should try things for yourself, and not rely too much on the general consensus. Everyone is looking at shaving from their own perspective. MHO.

2 1,683
 10-23-2016, 06:19 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I'm with Mike & would also opine that it is another good old YMMV.  I tend to choke down (or up I guess with a razor) when shaving.  With that grip it is very hard for it to get head heavy, though as Phil points out the Pils was close.  Another gent who  pinches at the very end of the handle is going to feel the relative head weight differently on exactly the same razor.  What's nonsensical is to pronounce any razor to have "perfect balance", without qualifying the gush with words to the effect of  "for me".

43 461
 10-23-2016, 06:53 PM
User Info
I know it when it happens but it's just instinctive. I can't even call it balance, it's more of getting a feel for something.

24 1,208
 10-24-2016, 04:17 AM
User Info
A razor can feel top heavy at times with a certain handle or the other way around. If your grip the razor in a different area it does change this. I think that is what they are referring to.

60 1,410
 10-24-2016, 08:04 AM
User Info
My Red Tip and Rocket HD 500 I would rate as having great balance.

0 129
 10-24-2016, 02:37 PM
User Info
The most unbalanced razor I have ever handled was a straight TI makes for Art of Shaving.  It has large stainless steel scales and the steel is quite thick.  The result is scales so heavy that it is quite uncomfortable to use.  The blade was fine, so I ended  up having new scales put on it.  Interestingly, Dovo also has a straight with stainless scales.  However, those scales are smaller and the steel is thin, so you don't end up with so much weight.

48 5,727
 10-24-2016, 03:02 PM
User Info
I think when guys say a razor has a great balance they mean it just feels good in their hand.   Anyone who has shaved with a Schick Type G or a Gillette Fat Handle Tech  or a Merkur 23c knows what this means. I am sure there are many other razors that are "well balanced".

0 43
 10-24-2016, 03:16 PM
User Info
(10-24-2016, 03:02 PM)James D Wrote: I think when guys say a razor has a great balance they mean it just feels good in their hand.   Anyone who has shaved with a Schick Type G or a Gillette Fat Handle Tech  or a Merkur 23c knows what this means. I am sure there are many other razors that are "well balanced".

Yes. I think you hit the nail on the head. I have often said I feel the Merkur 34 is almost perfectly balanced. I heard others say it also. It just feels right in your hand.

5 1,516
 10-25-2016, 07:33 AM
User Info
For me good balance means the way I hold the handle when I'm shaving is right at the natural balance point. I've been using my rx handle on my bbs-1 head and it is almost the perfect example. I tried to capture it in pictures to demonstrate. [Image: A1FeJQB.jpg][Image: C6LqVbg.jpg]

83 423
 10-29-2016, 09:10 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
(10-25-2016, 07:33 AM)w_mcnabb Wrote: For me good balance means the way I hold the handle when I'm shaving is right at the natural balance point. I've been using my rx handle on my bbs-1 head and it is almost the perfect example. I tried to capture it in pictures to demonstrate
Gotcha and great pics, btw. You literally find the balance point, then purposely set your grip right there. That way you have no pressure, whatsoever, except that which you choose to apply by application of a little bit of force by you!

0 363