10-23-2016, 05:00 PM
User Info
Hey guys,

Just thought I would give my opinion on the new LPV Lux formula from Caties Bubbles versus the old softer French style formula shaving soap.

First a word about the scent. It was very popular on the forums 1-2 years ago. Now not so anymore.
But it's a dark, sweet, spicy and warm scent, quite potent in a shaving soap.

The scent reminds me a bit of a mix between these two fragrances: Creed Royal Oud and Serge Lutens Arabie, but without the curry undertone note I got from my Arabie (I sold my Arabie because of this curry undertone note)
Many peple are having reactions to this soap, and it is a really spicy scent. I did not get a reaction from using, but I must admit I felt it dod heat up my face a little bit, while using the soap. No redness or irritation though.

The new Lux V2 formula is harder in texture, than the old softer formula, and you need to load for longer with the brush for that reason.

Performance of the new Lux v2 formula is great. I already liked the older softer soap formula and how it performed.
The new formula is an upgrade to that - I get improved glide, better cushion, better protection and if possible even better post shave feel.

There is only 4 oz in the new formula, while the old came in 8 oz - sold in the same 8 oz size containers.
The old formula was so saft, that loading didn't cause problems, because the soap was almost cream like soft.
The new lux v2 formula is harder, so you need to load for longer and harder - thus it's better the container is only 50% full, otherwise it can become messy to load the soap.

Inshort, both the old soft formula and the new harder v2 Lux formual are great perfomers, but the new Lux V2 gives that extra little bit of extra performance.

In short the Lux v2 formula is up there with the best shaving soaps in my den.

The old was up there already, but this is - if at all possible - an even better formula.

Yet abother great shaving soap, that can be added to my list of best shaving soaps I have ever tried/owned.

If your skin can take this scented soap, I will highly recommend you to try it.
It's perfect for Halloween and the Christmas season.

[Image: Caties-Bubbles-Le-Piment-De-La-Vie-artis...ap-4oz.jpg]
[Image: Caties-Bubbles-Le-Piment-De-La-Vie-8oz-A...Soap-2.jpg]

24 6,018
 10-23-2016, 05:40 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I love the scent of LPV. Unfortunately, I am one I those that get a reaction from using it.

76 1,391
 10-23-2016, 05:43 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
Is it white in color? The old was dark dark brown.

5 527
 10-23-2016, 06:04 PM
User Info
(10-23-2016, 05:43 PM)Chaddy Wrote: Is it white in color? The old was dark dark brown.

My old one French Style is dark brown in color, my newer Lux v2 is slightly lighter, but still brown in colour.

I think it's the vanilla in soaps, that turn them brown.
Don't know if they start out white, then turn brown'ish or what........

The photos are from Maggars Razors, not of my two LPV's

24 6,018
 10-23-2016, 06:08 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
Yes sir. I guess they got a generic picture. Mine was a darker brown.

5 527
 10-23-2016, 06:08 PM
User Info
I love this scent and its performance, just wished Caties Bubbles would update its packaging to something a bit nicer to look at.

Claus if you haven't already, you should try midnight and two.

2 465
 10-23-2016, 06:10 PM
User Info
(10-23-2016, 06:08 PM)Chaddy Wrote: Yes sir. I guess they got a generic picture. Mine was a darker brown.

They still keep the light brown colour, even when the lather is fully ready and on your face, it still is slightly light brown the lather from both versions.

24 6,018
 10-23-2016, 06:14 PM
User Info
(10-23-2016, 05:40 PM)Gabe Wrote: I love the scent of LPV. Unfortunately, I am one I those that get a reaction from using it.

Signs011

83 21,109
 10-24-2016, 08:47 AM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
The scent burns my face into oblivion.

18 415
 10-24-2016, 09:03 AM
User Info
I've never been a fan of the LPV scent. I bought it because it was the talk of the town for a while. It just wasnt for me. I didnt have the issue with a reaction to my skin.

As for the new versus old formulas I cannot speak on. Ive had some very bad experiences with the old formula that it caused me to completely stop using caties bubbles soaps. I purchased about 10 different caties bubbles soaps and with 6 of them I had some serious texture issues with the soap that made using it not enjoyable. The soap had a melted taffy or glue like consistency that made it very difficult to load or just generally work with. After each use I had to leave this soaps out to dry for weeks in order to get them to a manageable consistency. Was just too much trouble to continue to have my bathroom not only filled with a bunch of shave soaps, but to also have open containers everywhere to.

Now that I see that there is a firmer formula I may revisit Catie's Bubbles. I will say that the 4 soaps that didnt have this issue did perform very well just wasnt worth the crap shoot when purchasing a new one.

0 22
 10-24-2016, 01:26 PM
User Info
(10-24-2016, 08:47 AM)carvelo Wrote: The scent burns my face into oblivion.
+1 (Clove/Cinnamon)  Firedevil

39 3,948
 10-24-2016, 01:47 PM
User Info
(10-24-2016, 09:03 AM)SoSharpDavid Wrote: I've never been a fan of the LPV scent. I bought it because it was the talk of the town for a while. It just wasnt for me. I didnt have the issue with a reaction to my skin.

As for the new versus old formulas I cannot speak on. Ive had some very bad experiences with the old formula that it caused me to completely stop using caties bubbles soaps. I purchased about 10 different caties bubbles soaps and with 6 of them I had some serious texture issues with the soap that made using it not enjoyable. The soap had a melted taffy or glue like consistency that made it very difficult to load or just generally work with. After each use I had to leave this soaps out to dry for weeks in order to get them to a manageable consistency. Was just too much trouble to continue to have my bathroom not only filled with a bunch of shave soaps, but to also have open containers everywhere to.

Now that I see that there is a firmer formula I may revisit Catie's Bubbles. I will say that the 4 soaps that didnt have this issue did perform very well just wasnt worth the crap shoot when purchasing a new one.

I also had 2 of my 14 Caties french Style that was very gooeyy soft like in texture, but I left them without lid on after their first uses, and they dried up and since then have had no problems with them.

I always dry my soaps 2-3 days without lid on, whether they are creams or soaps, if I feel there is residual moist left in them after my shave, which there most often is from my brush (I only soak/bloom my hard puck soaps)

Did you soak/bloom your Caties ?

You should try the new Lux V2 formula, a really top performer and more solid in texture, not really hard, but definitely more solid in texture.

24 6,018
 10-24-2016, 01:49 PM
User Info
(10-24-2016, 01:26 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(10-24-2016, 08:47 AM)carvelo Wrote: The scent burns my face into oblivion.
+1 (Clove/Cinnamon)  Firedevil

Admittedly I also felt a slight warming to my face, each time I used both the formulations, but not more than I still could enjoy the shave fully with a great end result.

24 6,018
 10-24-2016, 01:53 PM
User Info
(10-23-2016, 06:08 PM)iShave Wrote: I love this scent and its performance, just wished Caties Bubbles would update its packaging to something a bit nicer to look at.

Claus if you haven't already, you should try midnight and two.

Are yo referring to Midnight Dreary ?

What is two ? Midnight Dreary v2 ??

Already own that verison  Wink

I own 16 Caties Bubbles shaving soaps  Thumbsup

24 6,018
 10-24-2016, 02:26 PM
User Info
I'm one of the lucky ones that love this soap

Enviado do meu SM-N9005 através de Tapatalk

0 107
 10-24-2016, 03:04 PM
User Info
I love the scent of this one, just used it today. I rotate it in every now and then because I get the slight burning sensation on my face. It is for me tolerable. Starts at the lips and soon its on my cheeks etc, usually the feeling starts around the 2nd pass. Doesn't last after the shave though and it leaves my face very soft post shave

28 777
 10-24-2016, 03:38 PM
User Info
(10-24-2016, 03:04 PM)Safelysimpson Wrote: I love the scent of this one, just used it today. I rotate it in every now and then because I get the slight burning sensation on my face. It is for me tolerable. Starts at the lips and soon its on my cheeks etc, usually the feeling starts around the 2nd pass. Doesn't last after the shave though and it leaves my face very soft post shave

Almost have the same reaction as you did.

Mine started mid way on my cheek bone - not a redness but a slight warm skin sensation, so far not an actual visible reaction, but I believe, that if I used this as my daily shaving soap, I would get a visible reaction to it.

Thus I keep it in my rotation. When I tested the two versions of LPV up against eachother, I shaved with each 3 times within the same month, using each one once a week.

Post shave feel, as you also felt, was and is amazing in both versions/formulas.

Not quite MWF/Haslinger like, but very close to.

24 6,018
 10-24-2016, 05:12 PM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
No burn and I love the scent... a cold weather/holiday scent for me too. If I didnt have 2 tubs of the original I'd try the new lux version.

I have Midnight and two- the cabin and study. Well done scents on another great soap base.

7 325
 10-30-2016, 11:43 AM
User Info
I just traded mine off. Had burning issues as well.

Too bad as I liked the ease of lather and performance. Was hoping my face would get a tolerance built up to it. But that never happened.

8 160
 10-30-2016, 12:03 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
May I twist the thread slightly? I would like to try a Caties Bubbles. What scent is "safe?" You know, little chance for a reaction. Preferably not floral or powdery.

Thanks

60 1,625