10-23-2016, 08:23 PM
User Info
Gents--

I have a Rooney (script logo) silvertip fan, style 1 size 2.  Of all my badger brushes, it's the only one that has noticeable scritch.  It's less than ideal for face lathering, especially on the second and third passes when my skin is more sensitive.  I would sell it, but I LOVE the handle.  I find it one of the most comfortable shapes and the weight and finish are pleasing.  So I've been thinking about switching out the knot for a new one.

What premium 3-band silvertip fan knots would you recommend to replace the current knot?  I'm looking for something akin to a Simpson super grade or Vie Long Epsilon 3-band: reasonably dense, not floppy and zero scritch.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

11 967
 10-24-2016, 05:43 PM
User Info
Two knots come to mind Alex:

1.  Shavemac silvertip.

2.  Bob Quinn's (Elite Razor) 24mm High Mountain White.  I don't know the size of the knot in your Rooney.  Bob's HMW is 24mm at the glue plug, but requires a 26mm opening at the top of the brush.  These are excellent knots at a good price point.

48 5,729
 10-24-2016, 07:06 PM
User Info
Envy Shave's Luxury Silvertip is exceptionally soft and very dense. Totally the very best three band badger I own. 

I have mine set a bit low in the handle after trying the 24mm knot at 52mm initially. Went with 48mm and it is surprising. It blooms very big while drying but in use it is not floppy. 

7 1,316
 10-24-2016, 08:14 PM
User Info
(10-24-2016, 05:43 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Two knots come to mind Alex:

1.  Shavemac silvertip.

2.  Bob Quinn's (Elite Razor) 24mm High Mountain White.  I don't know the size of the knot in your Rooney.  Bob's HMW is 24mm at the glue plug, but requires a 26mm opening at the top of the brush.  These are excellent knots at a good price point.

Thanks Ricardo!  I actually looked at the knots on Bob's website.  From what I've read, the Rooney is a 24 mm brush.  I have no idea what size the opening is; I don't have a caliper. Is it normal that you order a knot with a smaller plug than the advertised size?   I'd get a 22 mm knot at the glue plug to fit the 24 mm brush?

11 967
 10-24-2016, 08:16 PM
User Info
(10-24-2016, 07:06 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: Envy Shave's Luxury Silvertip is exceptionally soft and very dense. Totally the very best three band badger I own. 

I have mine set a bit low in the handle after trying the 24mm knot at 52mm initially. Went with 48mm and it is surprising. It blooms very big while drying but in use it is not floppy. 

Thanks Todd!

11 967