08-06-2012, 05:36 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1240967.JPG?m=1344280559]

Thanks to my good friend Andrew,I had the chance these days to try out two Plisson brushes (both with the almost "mystical" High Mountain White) one two band,and the other,a three band brush.

The High White Mountain badger hair have been discussed a lot in the forums,and I myself have already tried a Plisson 14 with this hair (3 band) : Plisson 14 HMW shaving brush.

[Image: P1240968.JPG?m=1344280559]

The brush is very well done and finished,nothing new that we dont already know.Plisson have been making brushes since 1805,so I think they know a little bit about how to make good,quality brushes.

The handle is such a classic and,maybe,its my favorite handle shape.Its also ergonomic and not very heavy.

[Image: P1240969.JPG?m=1344280566]

Ok,lets talk about the two band High Mountain White hair.

[Image: P1240976.JPG?m=1344280607]

This is a medium/high densely hair packed shaving brush.Its not a Simpson/Rooney or shavemac,thats for sure,but also its not poorly packed with hair.

[Image: P1240970.JPG?m=1344280584]

The brush has a 22 mm knot and 56 mm loft.The hair is kind of thick,but also have a good backbone and flow,something that I truly care these days.The backbone and the flow is right,something that I emphasize.

However,I just feel that I have tried this brush before,but I have never owned/tested a Plisson HMW in two band...so,how could it be?

Well,this kind of hair reminds me of the Vie Long two band badger (european white two band,called by Vie Long),which is a badger hair, Meles Meles type, from China.

Long time ago,I talked to the Vie Long distributor for the Canary Islands (my homeland) and he told me that Plisson and Vie Long share the same badger hair distributor.Well,for a little bit of time I believed that info,but after reading other people comments about Plisson and Vie Long hair,I thought that he was wrong,or maybe he was talking abut the "lower" kinds of badger hairs.

Today,the first thing I thought when I shaved with this brush was : "Its like the Vie long two band,but even scritchier"...

Lets compare hairs.Here is the Plisson 12 HMW two band with the Vie Long foroafeitado edition two band brush :

[Image: P1240977.JPG?m=1344280613]

The tips of this Vie Long brush are slightly whiter,but the "feel" and the "flow" is basically the same.The Vie Long is a 20 mm brush with 52 mm loft.

More pics of these brushes :

[Image: P1240978.JPG?m=1344280618]

[Image: P1240981.JPG?m=1344280697]

But what about with my other Vie Long two band brush?.I got this Olive wood handle back in 2010.The brush has a 19 mm loft and 48 mm loft.Lets see how their hair compare :

[Image: P1240986.JPG?m=1344301561]

Both brushes have the same color on the tips,the same thickness and the same "feel",but I will say that the Vie Long is a little bit softer.

Another pic of it :

[Image: P1240987.JPG?m=1344301558]

They look and feel and behave very similar,even with the difference of lofts....

I honestly dont know what to think,so I will send the Vie Longs to Andrew for him to try and give us his opinion about them.

The Plisson is a lether machine,but works better with painting strokes than circular ones.The flow is very good (once again) and makes lather,as I said,very fast and efficient.
I also tested it on with a shaving bowl,which a couple of tripple milled soaps and creams, and I will say this is a 10 brush for bowl lathering.

[Image: P1240964.JPG?m=1344280701]

Ill be testing both brushes the next couple weeks.I must say that the 3 band HMW is not similar to any other badger hair I have tried (well,its the same than the one used in the Plisson 14 HMW horn handle) but the two band... mmmm,I have seen this one before,and not under the Plisson brand...maybe I should call the Vie Long brushes, Vlielong?Biggrin

86 7,123
 08-06-2012, 05:47 PM
User Info
Let us know how the 56 mm works as a face latherer.

I find that 54 - 56 mm is about the maximum limit before a brush just loses the backbone necessary to even try face lathering.

BTW: Beautiful Brushes one and all!

1 2,827
 08-06-2012, 05:51 PM
User Info
Thanks for the write up Teiste, darn, I really need to get a Vie Long 2 Band. Along with the Plisson, sounds like a nice brush for those that don't like brushes too dense.

0 241
 08-06-2012, 05:54 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great review Teiste! Big call in claiming the Plisson and Vie Long to be of the same grade of hair especially given the huge difference in pricing. Your review certainly makes the VL more tempting, especially given that the comparison couldn't have come from a more trusted source.

91 17,794
 08-06-2012, 05:55 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I'm looking forward to your impression of this brush and how it compares to the Vie Long.

As always, your photos are exceptional.

7 1,016
 08-06-2012, 06:11 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Gents :

I dont want to give the worng impression and I havent said that Plisson HMW is the same than the Vie Long two band hair.No,I havent said that,but in this particular case,the similitude are there,and you can judge it by yourself by seeing the pics.The feel is almost the same,but the Vie Long have softer tips.Andrew will be testing them and would give us his impressions.

I know from very trusted sources,that both companies gets the hair from Meles Meles badger in China,and they both used to get it from Russia.I also know,that the HMW hair have to be harvested on a particular time of the year.

I only can say that Vie Long make fantastic brushes,specially the silvertip and the european white two band.Some people could think "Well,he is from Spain and maybe gets something from Vie Long",but thats not the case,not even close.Im not from Portugal and I love Semogue brushes,and also Im not British and I really like Simpson brushes.I only can write about my experiences and thoughts.

I hope that this is clear and I dont want to get into the "hype" of a product in detriment of other,but about my good/bad experiences.

86 7,123
 08-06-2012, 06:40 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Bravo, Teiste. I was hoping the brushes might be a springboard for an interesting discussion, and your review has started several. Beautiful pictures, by the way. When I received my first Simpsons Manchurian brush, I thought the hair might be similar to the Plisson HMW 2-band. You may recall a PM. I changed my mind in short order. They are quite different. As for Vie Long, I am looking forward to the comparison.

Another interesting topic you hit on is the difference between 2 and 3 band HMW hair. Plisson may tell you there is no difference. At least that's what I was told by the vendor I bought them from. But they are different. I'm interested to hear how you think they are.

From your pictures, I would say the Plisson and the olive handle V-L look alike. The Foroafeitado V-L hair looks different, though - whiter or more silver tips in your photos.

43 1,690
 08-06-2012, 06:50 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-06-2012, 06:40 PM)Andrew Wrote: Bravo, Teiste. I was hoping the brushes might be a springboard for an interesting discussion, and your review has started several. Beautiful pictures, by the way. When I received my first Simpsons Manchurian brush, I thought the hair might be similar to the Plisson HMW 2-band. You may recall a PM. I changed my mind in short order. They are quite different. As for Vie Long, I am looking forward to the comparison.

Another interesting topic you hit on is the difference between 2 and 3 band HMW hair. Plisson may tell you there is no difference. At least that's what I was told by the vendor I bought them from. But they are different. I'm interested to hear how you think they are.

From your pictures, I would say the Plisson and the olive handle V-L look alike. The Foroafeitado V-L hair looks different, though - whiter or more silver tips in your photos.

Thanks a lot,Andrew,I truly appreciate the chance you have gaven me to test these two Plisson brushes.

Yes,the pics shows that the Olive handle Vie Long and the Plisson hair are very,very similar.The foroafeitado edition hair has whiter tips,as I mention on the fist post,but the "feel" is almost the same,but the Vie Long has softer tips.

Well,you will test these brushes very soon and I hope you can give us your opinion.

BTW,the two band and three band HMW hairs are different,at least,to me.I will write about the 3 band HMW hair this week.

86 7,123
 08-06-2012, 07:08 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Take your time with them, Teiste.

43 1,690
 08-06-2012, 08:57 PM
User Info
Wow, Teiste, those are some very nice pictures of beautiful brushes. Good luck with the testing.

75 20,883
 08-06-2012, 10:44 PM
User Info
You are like a wizard

0 140
 08-07-2012, 12:23 AM
User Info
Teiste, interesting and compelling review. Thanks for taking the time. Care to compare with New Forest HMW?

47 1,270
 08-07-2012, 04:30 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(08-06-2012, 06:11 PM)Teiste Wrote: Gents :

I dont want to give the worng impression and I havent said that Plisson HMW is the same than the Vie Long two band hair.No,I havent said that,but in this particular case,the similitude are there,and you can judge it by yourself by seeing the pics.The feel is almost the same,but the Vie Long have softer tips.Andrew will be testing them and would give us his impressions.

I know from very trusted sources,that both companies gets the hair from Meles Meles badger in China,and they both used to get it from Russia.I also know,that the HMW hair have to be harvested on a particular time of the year.

I only can say that Vie Long make fantastic brushes,specially the silvertip and the european white two band.Some people could think "Well,he is from Spain and maybe gets something from Vie Long",but thats not the case,not even close.Im not from Portugal and I love Semogue brushes,and also Im not British and I really like Simpson brushes.I only can write about my experiences and thoughts.

I hope that this is clear and I dont want to get into the "hype" of a product in detriment of other,but about my good/bad experiences.

Blush Sorry if I miss interpreted or my reply caused others to... I actually did take your comment to mean "comparable to" as opposed to the "exact same."

91 17,794
 08-07-2012, 07:06 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-07-2012, 04:30 AM)ben74 Wrote:
(08-06-2012, 06:11 PM)Teiste Wrote: Gents :

Blush Sorry if I miss interpreted or my reply caused others to... I actually did take your comment to mean "comparable to" as opposed to the "exact same."

My friend ,yes,comparable to is what I would say in this particular case.

86 7,123
 08-07-2012, 09:28 AM
User Info
(08-07-2012, 12:23 AM)kentclark Wrote: Care to compare with New Forest HMW?

My sample of NF HMW was not very soft at the tips, but had good backbone. It also didn't bloom very well, but that's probably because the knot was sunk pretty deep into the handle. Could also be the cause of the backbone.

The tips were snowy white though.

Still, a good brush. Wouldn't pay more than the last price Fido was asking for it. Don't think its worth any more than that.

Anyway, I ended up selling it because it didn't fit in. My silvertips were softer and more densely packed, and my two bands were either stiffer or just as stiff and some have softer tips.

Just my thoughts. I think it's a great hybrid hair if you're into that.

9 2,988
 08-07-2012, 10:15 AM
User Info
Great post Teiste Smile

7 1,179
 08-07-2012, 11:39 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Well,I used the brush today with a triple milled shaving soap (the Spanish Fig and Nutmeg) and this brush its a lather machine,not a single doubt about it.But, honestly,I cant find many differences with the Vie Long european white two band badger brushes that I have (but the different sizes,of course) and behaves like them,but with more scritch on the tips.
This is a brush with good flow,which performs really well with painting strokes,better than circular ones,and load a shaving soap in matter of seconds,like a good boar brush.
The 3 band HMW seems different than this one.

86 7,123
 08-08-2012, 05:59 AM
User Info
So why buy a Plisson after all?

31 1,554
 08-08-2012, 06:49 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(08-08-2012, 05:59 AM)German Wrote: So why buy a Plisson after all?

Only you can answer this. I have seen so many posts on the debate over whether Plisson HMW is worth the cost. Our own Ben has stated a very eloquent response in a different thread here. For me, I wanted one simply to have one. And the opportunity arose to have two different versions of HMW at something of a discount. A value comparison to other brushes was not a factor for me.

43 1,690
 08-08-2012, 07:03 AM
User Info
Fair enough ...

31 1,554