10-25-2016, 02:26 PM
User Info
Have you ever rediscovered anything?

I’m on holidays this week, and decided it’s a good time to clean the den. So, I started with the drawers. Like many of you I suspect, I have them stuffed with shaving soaps and creams, among other vital items like blades, after shave, witch hazel, razor boxes, brush boxes, and the list goes on.

So, at the back of the bottom drawer I discovered a love from the past—Mitchell’s Wool Fat. Forgot all about it. Been a couple years since I used it.

So, I got the brush in motion this morning and loaded it up. Lathered perfectly. And…provided a wonderful shave, just like the old days.

How about you? Ever rediscovered something and loved it again?

0 382
 10-25-2016, 02:51 PM
User Info
I recently rediscovered Trumper's Skin Food.  I use it post shave as a balm.  I find it to be excellent.

73 2,200
 10-25-2016, 03:43 PM
User Info
I tend to get into a bit of a rut with my razors... I don't change them up too often.  I used my Krona recently after not having used it for a while.  A very nice shaver, indeed.

0 1,055
 10-25-2016, 04:03 PM
User Info
(10-25-2016, 02:51 PM)merkur man Wrote: I recently rediscovered Trumper's Skin Food.  I use it post shave as a balm.  I find it to be excellent.

Agreed. I really like this product. Have used the Lime only, not the Rose. It's actually pretty inexpensive per-ounce if you buy it in the 500ml size -- about half as much, as I recall.

16 351
 10-25-2016, 06:05 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I just rediscovered a handle today.  I have been using the #2 stainless steel handle with my Wolfman and today, I decided to use my #4 aluminum handle.  It completely changes the balance, so it feels like a whole different razor.  I actually got a little bit closer of a shave today than I've been getting.

3 537
 10-25-2016, 06:56 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Yes.  Yesterday I loaded a Schick G.  I have not had an injector blade shave in quite some time.  I found it quite satisfying.

57 1,569
 10-26-2016, 12:07 AM
User Info
Feathers. I remember I didn't like them when I was first starting out, I was prone to nick but now, smooth shaves all the way.

10 1,149
 10-26-2016, 02:25 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
It happens to me all the time. The latest rediscovery I did was the LPL soaps. I have 3-4 of them, but they didn't get much use. Not for a specific reason, I was just shaving with other soaps and creams. They are still in my Top 5 list among the very best soaps I've tried. I love these soaps. I could use the LPL and the Savon de Volcans exclusively for a very long time without getting bored of them. French artisans make excellent products. I like the fact that they make fantastic performing soaps with simple scents that are not overpowering but elegant and pleasant.

I really don't believe that anyone could use some of the well known shaving soaps with the overpowering scents daily for a long time. This is one of the many reasons that I prefer the French soaps to many other artisan soaps.

49 1,940
 10-27-2016, 02:46 PM
User Info
Nick, speaking of French. I used to dislike Pre de Provence, I felt it was a mediocre soap. I tried it again a few weeks ago and proceeded to load it like I hated it (I did kinda hate it.. lol) but lo and behold it gave me a really stellar performance. Tried it again a few days after, and same stellar performance. Now it's one of my favored soaps. I'm not into the floral scent as much but I was so delighted, I'm going to purchase the Pre 63.

The soap is exceptional value and from the loading that I'm doing to it seems like it's not even making a dent!

10 1,149
 10-27-2016, 04:23 PM
User Info
The Feather Portable was the first razor where things just clicked for me and I really started to get it with DE shaving.  Then I forgot about it and the tech pattern razors in general thinking I needed a more aggressive razor, open comb, adjustable, etc and ran through the gamut of vintage and modern razors.  Last summer, I was going through my box of stuff and found a pre-war tech that I had forgotten.  It was banged up and ugly, and I was amazed at how well it shaved with much better technique than the last time I used it years ago.  It has been a good enough shaver that the techs have just about been all I have used since mid July.

18 586