10-25-2016, 04:09 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Good luck Cleveland from a Die Hard Cubs fan. Play ball!

19 753
 10-25-2016, 04:10 PM
User Info
We all win in this series.

36 909
 10-25-2016, 05:27 PM
User Info
We? Speak for yourself friend

~Royce

4 384
 10-25-2016, 05:44 PM
User Info
I'm looking forward to some excellent baseball over the next few days.

24 1,226
 10-25-2016, 06:05 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Been a good game - except for Joe Buck

19 753
 10-26-2016, 02:28 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(10-25-2016, 06:05 PM)Deuce Wrote: Been a good game - except for Joe Buck

Only good thing about Buck doing the series is that it took him away from Sunday football.

179 23,923
 10-26-2016, 03:23 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Tribe in 6 - the Goat lives On!  I just wish Fox had more class than to subject us to that sleeze bag Rose.

[Image: XjhOzzN.jpg]

45 490
 10-26-2016, 05:40 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
(10-26-2016, 03:23 AM)garyg Wrote: Tribe in 6 - the Goat lives On!  I just wish Fox had more class than to subject us to that sleeze bag Rose.
What have I missed? What's so bad about Rose except that he bet on his own team; something likely done by many others as well?

0 363
 10-26-2016, 07:21 AM
User Info
A baseball manager betting on his own team, to win or lose, can bring up the possibility of conspiring to fix it. There's rules one must abide by and when you're caught breaking those rules a penalty is usually brought forth. Rose was given the privilege to play and coach in MLB. He made a choice to bet on his own games, he was breaking the rules, got caught, and now must live with the penalty and consequences. It's called integrity. Integrity of the game, integrity of the man. No one is bigger than the game. I don't find him to be a sleaze bag, a cheater yes. I don't get the liberal mindset that believes if everyone is breaking the rules then it should be ok, or no big deal, if one does the same. Believing that everyone deserves a second chance, in my opinion, can eventually lead to an adaption to dishonesty. It's not too hard to look around these days and see that very premise in motion. Sorry for the slight derail but this guy above me compelled me to speak out against such nonsense.

~Royce

4 384
 10-26-2016, 08:16 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
(10-26-2016, 07:21 AM)DudeAbides Wrote: A baseball manager betting on his own team, to win or lose, can bring up the possibility of conspiring to fix it. There's rules one must abide by and when you're caught breaking those rules a penalty is usually brought forth. Rose was given the privilege to play and coach in MLB. He made a choice to bet on his own games, he was breaking the rules, got caught, and now must live with the penalty and consequences. It's called integrity. Integrity of the game, integrity of the man. No one is bigger than the game. I don't find him to be a sleaze bag , a cheater yes. I don't get the liberal mindset that believes that if everyone is breaking the rules then it should be ok, or no big deal, if one does the same. Believing that everyone deserves a second chance, in my opinion, can eventually lead to an adaption to dishonesty. It not too hard to look around these days and see that very premise in motion. Sorry for the slight derail but this guy above me compelled me to speak  out against such nonsense.

~Royce

While my memory isn't perfect on this, my best recollection is that Pete Rose was betting on his team to win! Except for exhorting them on to greater heights, there's little else he could do to "rig" games for them to win, only to lose!

In no way am I condoning the breaking of the rules of the game, but his being banned from The Baseball Hall of Fame seems a bit 'off base', since his ability as a player more than met the standards considered necessary for admission, and his life, other than this one transgression, was above reproach.

0 363
 10-26-2016, 08:44 AM
User Info
Back to the topic - - 

Maybe some consider this heresy, but I am rooting for the Cubbies -- because they have not won in so many years.

16 351
 10-26-2016, 09:23 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Sorry, I must have the wrong Pete Rose.  The one I'm thinking of cut a plea bargain deal with MLB in 1989 to avoid MLB making its investigation public, in exchange for his lifetime ban.  Now he wants a re-do?  At first he lied and maintained total innocence, taking 15 years before he admitted to some of it.  In the meantime, he's been convicted (felony?) of income tax evasion & did federal time.  Post prison, he makes an apparently comfortable living signing baseballs in Las Vegas and at road appearances that, for an extra honorarium, admit to his gambling.  

What a guy.  Ask Ray Fosse what a stand-up guy Petey is .. 

Sorry to have derailed the thread,

45 490
 10-26-2016, 11:38 AM
User Info
(10-26-2016, 09:23 AM)garyg Wrote: Sorry, I must have the wrong Pete Rose.  The one I'm thinking of cut a plea bargain deal with MLB in 1989 to avoid MLB making its investigation public, in exchange for his lifetime ban.  Now he wants a re-do?  At first he lied and maintained total innocence, taking 15 years before he admitted to some of it.  In the meantime, he's been convicted (felony?) of income tax evasion & did federal time.  Post prison, he makes an apparently comfortable living signing baseballs in Las Vegas and at road appearances that, for an extra honorarium, admit to his gambling.  

What a guy.  Ask Ray Fosse what a stand-up guy Petey is .

Sorry to have derailed the thread,
+1
Go Tribe.
[Image: DUcYsYF.png]

39 3,947
 10-26-2016, 01:02 PM
User Info
Getting ready to leave for the day... I can see Progressive Field filling up for Game 2 from my office window. I've got a 20 minute walk back to my car because of all the parking lots jacking up their prices and/or closing to daily Parkers, but it's worth the headache.  Go tribe!

0 1,097
 10-26-2016, 01:30 PM
User Info
Is it just me or players that don't play for your team wonky looking. I've never seen a wonkier group of B-ball players in my life. As for Joe Buck, I can't stand him. Good grief, the guy is going to get metacarpal from all the ball washing he's doing on Baez.

~Royce

4 384
 10-26-2016, 06:36 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
That's pretty funny Royce! Joe Buck, he's gotta have photos on someone

19 753
 10-27-2016, 08:17 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Is anyone else exasperated by the whole "change pitchers" thing?  What ever happened to the old days when Nolan Ryan (& others) pitched 9 innings?

It just infuriates me when a team relieves a pitcher after 5 innings....not because he is playing poorly...but because of some arbitrary pitch count and they want to "save him".  

7 pitchers for 9 innings is ridiculous.

169 1,424
 10-28-2016, 06:25 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Go Cubbies!!!!! This from a Dbacks fan. 

I grew up cheering for the Cubs before the Dbacks arrived. 

Born and raised in Mesa, spring home of the Cubs. I still catch a spring training game every year.

76 1,391
 10-28-2016, 08:49 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Sloan Park is pretty cool

19 753
 10-29-2016, 08:18 AM
User Info
(10-27-2016, 08:17 AM)Steelman Wrote: What ever happened to the old days when Nolan Ryan (& others) pitched 9 innings?
That train left the station a long time ago. The game changed. Think about Mariano Rivera. He was a closer for 17 seasons. Torre couldn't wait to give him the ball. Rightfully so, he was dominant day in and day out. I hear you though. Being a long time Dodger fan watching all the pitching changes this season was absolutely mind numbing. Maeda never went more than five innings all season before exploding. Five innings! Imagine that, what a joke.

~Royce

4 384