10-25-2016, 06:53 PM
User Info
Over the last 2-3 months I've seen more than the usual posts on the B/S/T with a 3-5 straight razors, strops and related gear where some explicitly say they are giving up on straight shaving. What moved you in and especially out of straights?

- too time consuming?
- too steep a learning curve?
- too complicated with the stropping and honing, etc.?  
- you simply get better results with other methods?
- other reasons?

Me: for years I thought I would never get into straights and finally gave in 4-5 months ago. My shaves are far from bbs and 99% of the time I get a nick here or there. Touch up with a safety razor is mandatory for a bbs but am enjoying the process. Sure, its time consuming and occasionally frustrating but still, I find it so interesting that I can't think of giving up. Not just yet.

7 994
 10-26-2016, 02:35 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Good question and I'd like to know too. All I can say is I have not given up on SR shaving myself and enjoy the process immensely. I can say too that the learning curve involved in SR shaving is far longer than anyone starting out in it would likely expect and it is time consuming with the maintenance routine. I can easily see why old timers readily dropped SRs in favour of DE/SEs when those were introduced.

Bob

0 1,694
 10-26-2016, 02:51 AM
User Info
I haven't sailed into the straight shaving waters for all of the reasons Lloyd noted, plus space constraints.
I do have a couple of shavettes which get occasional use. I'd get better results if I used them more (though I do OK).

8 849
 10-26-2016, 04:23 AM
User Info
I have been using straights since June and I can't see giving it up.

Yes it is a little more time consuming and takes a little bit of time to learn but I have to say my straight razor shaves are as close as my DE's now.

Even if I didn't have time to use a straight every day I would still keep them around for those times I could.

4 461
 10-26-2016, 05:17 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I don't see the day when I give up my straights but I will go down to just a few razors at some point. 

I enjoy my growing collection of strops and razors and stones but don't "need" most of what I have and could live with 20 less razors 10 less brushes and 5 less strops but that future is on the distant horizon as I am still searching for the next great ______.

7 438
 10-26-2016, 07:40 AM
User Info
I have, temporarily, stopped using them as I just can't seem to acclimate to them, or rather, some areas of my face/skin cannot seem to. Blush
I have tried for quite some time in the past five years with quite a few, but have not had any success and with my DEs providing me with magnificent shaves, it just gets more difficult. Nevertheless, I hope to introduce them into my routine, at some point in the future as I still have 3-4.

82 21,013
 10-26-2016, 08:35 AM
User Info
Nerve damage in my hand makes it harder to hold them. Got rid of mine for safety reasons.  Undecided

144 3,366
 10-26-2016, 10:13 AM
User Info
(10-25-2016, 06:53 PM)lloydrm Wrote: - too time consuming?

These

1 272
 10-26-2016, 10:54 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I have used SRs for the past 3 years, on and off again, and the fact is I never got as good of a shave with a SR as I have with a DE. There were periods where I only used a straight for months at a time, and I became quite proficient and comfortable with them. I enjoy the experience immensely and I won't get rid of my SR gear, but I still prefer the shave quality of get from a DE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 1,627
 10-26-2016, 11:20 AM
User Info
I would encourage people to keep at it. Ive been straight razor shaving for about 5 years. 2 years in to it I taught my 13 year old son how to shave with a straight. 3 years in and its the only way to shave that he knows. He tried a DE and does not like it. There is just a very unique sense of accomplishment when you use a straight razor. A little dedication, patience, and consistency will get you there.

0 22
 10-26-2016, 01:14 PM
User Info
(10-26-2016, 11:20 AM)SoSharpDavid Wrote: I would encourage people to keep at it. Ive been straight razor shaving for about 5 years. 2 years in to it I taught my 13 year old son how to shave with a straight. 3 years in and its the only way to shave that he knows. He tried a DE and does not like it. There is just a very unique sense of accomplishment when you use a straight razor. A little dedication, patience, and consistency will get you there.

I understand your enthusiasm, but, unfortunately, it isn't always the most compatible method, for everyone, as we are all different. Shy

82 21,013
 10-26-2016, 01:19 PM
User Info
(10-26-2016, 08:35 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Nerve damage in my hand makes it harder to hold them. Got rid of mine for safety reasons.  Undecided

I am sorry to hear this Freddie. Hopefully you will manage to continue wet shaving with safeties. 
Would physical therapy help? Maybe face-lathering helps? Smile

7 994
 10-26-2016, 01:24 PM
User Info
Interesting replies. Its fortunate to have so many options for different tastes in wet shaving. 
It might be all in my mind, but I have the impression that different blade-types give different results/experiences. I am liking the feel of straights way more than I expected.

7 994
 10-26-2016, 01:27 PM
User Info
(10-26-2016, 01:14 PM)celestino Wrote:
(10-26-2016, 11:20 AM)SoSharpDavid Wrote: I would encourage people to keep at it. Ive been straight razor shaving for about 5 years. 2 years in to it I taught my 13 year old son how to shave with a straight. 3 years in and its the only way to shave that he knows. He tried a DE and does not like it. There is just a very unique sense of accomplishment when you use a straight razor. A little dedication, patience, and consistency will get you there.

I understand your enthusiasm, but, unfortunately, it isn't always the most compatible method, for everyone, as we are all different. Shy

Celestino, David is so talented with a SR he thinks its a piece of cake. Cool videos David.

7 994
 10-26-2016, 01:32 PM
User Info
I started using straight razors in 2009. I seem to have reached a plateau around 2011 in the hunt for more razors, strops, hones, etc. For about the past 10 months I've put them on hold. I don't want to give up on them because they are something unique, and the satisfaction of maintaining and using them whenever I want is pretty darn satisfying. I do it because I love it, not because I have to. The introduction of the safety razor and disposable blades was an enormous breakthrough. I'm glad I don't have to use a straight razor out of necessity.  In the next 3 or 4 months I'm going to sharpen them all up and start using them again on occasion.

24 1,207
 10-26-2016, 01:42 PM
User Info
(10-26-2016, 01:19 PM)lloydrm Wrote:
(10-26-2016, 08:35 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Nerve damage in my hand makes it harder to hold them. Got rid of mine for safety reasons.  Undecided

I am sorry to hear this Freddie. Hopefully you will manage to continue wet shaving with safeties. 
Would physical therapy help? Maybe face-lathering helps? Smile

Thanks Lloyd. So far no issues with DE. I'm able to grip and get control them better. 
My hand was caught in a machine at an old job due to a faulty E-stop. I went through physical therapy for it afterwards but the scar tissue still tends to play with the nerves causing the for finger side of my hand to go numb down into my palm. I still routinely work with with my hand like I was shown to ease it. Arthritis is also setting in my hand which also does not help. 

Last time I used a straight it led to me dropping it while giving myself a nice little kiss on the neck. Let my straight and shavettes go to good homes after that.

144 3,366
 10-26-2016, 01:58 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
(10-26-2016, 10:13 AM)gwsmallwood Wrote:

These

Same here, but it was mostly a factor of time.

46 844
 10-26-2016, 03:46 PM
User Info
(10-26-2016, 10:13 AM)gwsmallwood Wrote:

These

Same here, although mostly not wanting to strop and hone.

192 1,588
 10-26-2016, 03:53 PM
User Info
I love my straights and coticules. I used to have 30+ stones and 7 razors... Down to 3 stones and 7 razors.  Injured my wrist so taking a hiatus from straights. It is way to painful to strop and hone. Not to mention I am an edge perfectionist. 4 hours tinkering around isn't what I need right now. Will get back to it when I heal up.

0 89
 10-26-2016, 04:10 PM
User Info
I gave them about 8 months a couple years ago.  I think the two main reasons were that I can't hone to save my life and my skills just never improved that much. It also took me way too long in the morning to shave.  I can pull a fantastic shave from a DE and be done with it in just 3-5 minutes.  It's about as much dedication as I care to make these days.  I still have a straight put away, but havent thought much of using it.

18 578