05-03-2017, 11:31 AM
User Info
And not to hyjack the thread but to bump Dan's offer, if he gives away one and it needs honing send it my way and I will hone it for free.

6 1,114
 05-03-2017, 12:35 PM
User Info
(05-03-2017, 09:29 AM)doc47 Wrote: This is an interesting thread, thanks for starting it. I'm an old retired guy with lots of time on his hands, so about16-17 months ago I decided to teach myself to shave with a SR. I dabbled with with a SR in college but that attempt went no where. It took me several months to feel mildly confident in my ability and then one day I bought a MK*31 on a friend's recommendation and my abilities took a big leap. Like others have mentioned, at my age I have arthritis in both hands and they tend to shake at times making holding a SR a bit difficult. That's where the MK*31 comes in; it is a small and light razor and fit my hand like a dream. The feedback I got from the hollow ground blade was what I needed to improve my confidence. By 6 months I was getting regular BBS shaves. Then I decided to help others learn to use a SR and on another site I shared and gave away straight razors to help guys get started. Over a 7 month period 38 guys learned to use a SR. Some have stayed with it, others have gone back to DEs and SEs. So, because most of those guys were using DE razors I decided to give DEs a try. I fell in love with Aristocrats and now own 10 Gillettes of various types. At the present time I primarily shave with SRs, but alternate with DEs on a regular basis. Both give me shaves of amazing quality (BBS) and I shave about as quickly with either type razor. The issue of honing, to me, is a big empty Trojan horse. All of my SR razors were sent out to be honed, meaning a proper bevel and edge were set. In 17 months I've never re-honed a single SR of mine. I maintain them with my strop. I have learned to stop quickly so my daily time commitment to razor maintenance is about 2 minutes. So every day I shave I make sure to take lots of time and enjoy the shave regardless of the razor I have chosen that day. If any of you non-SR users want to give it a try, I still have razors to loan and give away! Happy shaving friends.

(05-03-2017, 11:31 AM)Panther308 Wrote: And not to hyjack the thread but to bump Dan's offer, if he gives away one and it needs honing send it my way and I will hone it for free.

Two great offers from to wonderful gentelmen.

6 85
 05-03-2017, 02:20 PM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
Just PM me if interested.

4 385
 05-03-2017, 06:54 PM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
I have one taker, are there any more?

4 385
 05-04-2017, 04:27 AM
User Info
(10-26-2016, 11:20 AM)SoSharpDavid Wrote: I would encourage people to keep at it. Ive been straight razor shaving for about 5 years. 2 years in to it I taught my 13 year old son how to shave with a straight. 3 years in and its the only way to shave that he knows. He tried a DE and does not like it. There is just a very unique sense of accomplishment when you use a straight razor. A little dedication, patience, and consistency will get you there.

I agree. Maybe its the sense of accomplishment, but otherwise i am convinced that i can shave my face best with a SR. My head is another world. There i will stick to DE and SEs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 412
 05-04-2017, 04:31 AM
User Info
(10-26-2016, 03:53 PM)Stainless Wrote: I love my straights and coticules. I used to have 30+ stones and 7 razors... Down to 3 stones and 7 razors.  Injured my wrist so taking a hiatus from straights. It is way to painful to strop and hone. Not to mention I am an edge perfectionist. 4 hours tinkering around isn't what I need right now. Will get back to it when I heal up.

What 3 stones did you keep?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 412
 05-04-2017, 03:17 PM
User Info
(10-27-2016, 12:58 AM)Stainless Wrote:
(10-27-2016, 12:34 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I have tried to use a Thiers Issard on and off, which I rceived as a present last year, but it really takes patience and calm hands to use this beauty.

But the honing thing kills it for me, I prefer to be able to control such things myself and not having to ship it all over the world.

I might revisit straight razors again in 2017, but then I'm going all in, buying my own sets of stones from Japan and honing them completely at my home from start to finish.
That is honestly the best way to go about it. Buy your stones and hone it until your edge is where you want it. Then you don't have to ship it out and you gain a nice sense of accomplishment. Besides knowing at any time you can pick up a straight razor and shave with it/ hone it is a good feeling.

I believe that one can keep a straight razor shaving well with a minimum of equipment.  The tumble down the rabbit hole is as with everything else with this sport.  The idea of sending out a razor endlessly to be honed by a professional was not appealing to me so I started by buying just a finishing stone to touch up what I knew to be sound, square, no personality disorder type razors that had been given their start at the hands of a professional honer.  From there is was just a matter of not screwing up the edge - and it is not difficult and goofs are likely not irreparable.  You can go back and forth from finisher to strop many times before more serious honing is needed.  If you are reading this forum you have probably said "I'll try doing that myself" for recreation more than out of need.  For me, the hole opened up and more stones appeared but at that point it became part of the game to try my hand at things I did not need to be doing.  I have no skills at saving smiles or frowns or other problems but with a minimum of equipment I can get a bevel set and a healthy blade brought up to shaveability.

The guys who can work magic with stones are a blessing to us all as resources.  As long as your honing needs are the equivalent of driving the car in and out of the garage:  don't hit the wall in the front and don't hit the hedge in the back, then maintaining straights is not difficult.

Brent

8 49
 05-04-2017, 03:36 PM
  • Laird
  • British Columbia, Canada
User Info
I find them awkward and my DE shaves deliver very long lasting BBS results.

0 178
 05-04-2017, 04:34 PM
User Info
As stated by several maintaining a straight is not difficult, Doc226 honed a razor quite awhile ago and kept the edge going strong for many, many months with just daily stropping, I have a 1K, 4K and 8K synthetic stones and then i have five finishers ( 4 JNATS 1 Coticule ) I honestly could get by with 2 stones ( 1K & Finisher ) 

I very seldom use the 1K and once the bevel is set it's rarely needed to have to go back to the 1K to be reset, you can easily reset an existing bevel with a 4K, for me i love to hone so i am always grabbing a razor to rehone and it does not need it but i do it because I am always chasing that edge and then it keeps my skills fresh for razors I receive in to hone for others so for those that think using a straight requires high maintenace to keep it going it does not and once you get over the learning curve it's just as easy as a DE/SE razor but you have to respect the blade as there is no safety bar  Sbathroom_grooming_shaving_100-100 and the edge has to be sharp, will it shave better than a DE/SE/Shavette .... that is a millon dollar question and impossible for me to answer but I now after several years struggle more with a safety razor than a straight razor.

6 1,114
 05-04-2017, 05:47 PM
User Info
If you're thinking of giving up straights -- don't, just yet. Instead, go back to your accustomed 2-, 3-, or 4-pass shave with a DE or SE safety razor, then use the straight for touch-up at the end. For those final touches, you may find that nothing beats a straight. It may work, it may not, but it's worth a try.

0 62
 05-12-2017, 05:15 PM
User Info
Can - all of the above -be a reason?  I tried, but never got the hang of it, and I got better results with DE ... plus the maintenance of the razor is a little daunting too.

0 44
 05-13-2017, 03:49 AM
User Info
(05-04-2017, 04:34 PM)Panther308 Wrote: As stated by several maintaining a straight is not difficult, Doc226 honed a razor quite awhile ago and kept the edge going strong for many, many months with just daily stropping, I have a 1K, 4K and 8K synthetic stones and then i have five finishers ( 4 JNATS 1 Coticule ) I honestly could get by with 2 stones ( 1K & Finisher ) 

I very seldom use the 1K and once the bevel is set it's rarely needed to have to go back to the 1K to be reset, you can easily reset an existing bevel with a 4K, for me i love to hone so i am always grabbing a razor to rehone and it does not need it but i do it because I am always chasing that edge and then it keeps my skills fresh for razors I receive in to hone for others so for those that think using a straight requires high maintenace to keep it going it does not and once you get over the learning curve it's just as easy as a DE/SE razor but you have to respect the blade as there is no safety bar  Sbathroom_grooming_shaving_100-100 and the edge has to be sharp, will it shave better than a DE/SE/Shavette .... that is a millon dollar question and impossible for me to answer but I now after several years struggle more with a safety razor than a straight razor.

In the beginning maintaining a straight seemed a bit overwhelming to me after watching countless videos, and reading and rereading everything I could get my hands on.  Information overload. It did seem like the process of maintaining the razor would be time consuming and frankly not worth the effort.  After a great deal of trial and error I have come to the point where keeping a razor sharp does not require much effort at all.

After the bevel is set properly there really isn't much required to keep it sharp and rolling along.  Daily stropping and then once a month a quick refresh on an 8k and 12k finisher and I am all set.  I do occasionally take my Gold Dollar to the 1k and 4k for practice, but if the bevel is set correctly on the razor and you (like me) are not highly skilled in the honing arts, a 1k or 4k is more likely to screw up the edge than correct anything.

I respect all those that have the skills and enjoy a more detailed honing process, but for me 2 stones and a strop is really all that is required.  Its quick, simple and effective.

6 216
 05-13-2017, 12:11 PM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
Straight razor shaving is clearly not for everyone, just like the many other forms of shaving. It is time consuming to learn and many can't afford the time required to learn. IMHO I believe most who try a SR are doing so quietly in the privacy of their own bathrooms, which makes learning much more difficult. My experience tells me the learning process is much more successful and easier when getting regular feedback and support from other SR users. I am also convinced that watching 1,000 shaving videos on YouTube will not help you learn very much about SR shaving. A slow guided and systematic approach to learning works best. The argument that there is too much maintenance involved is just not true. One professional hone and regular use of a strop can keep a razor shave ready for a very, very long time. In 17 months I've never had a razor that needed a re-honing. I maintain my razors with two strops, and I strop much more than most would recommend. I have 2 barber hones for refreshing an edge, but have never used them. I also have a couple of synthetic finishing stones I've never needed to use. So I have to agree with Newton that too much is made of needing to "regularly" hone a razor. Maintenance for me is 90 seconds of stropping post shave. 

I do resinate with some of the reasons for having stopped the SR journey. I am 70 and have severe arthritis in both hands and almost gave up my own attempt to learn SR shaving. My breaktrough was when I discovered smaller and lighter razors; I found they were much easier to hold securely and manipulate. This also applied to stropping, the smaller razors were easier to hold and manipulate as I made my turns at the end of each half a lap. I am an advocate for SR shaving because I find it a whole lot of fun. Since mastering the SR I have relearned how to use a DE and I enjoy those shaves as well. 

My offer of help still stands if you are not sure you want to give up on SRs.

4 385