08-07-2012, 12:30 AM
User Info
Apart from the Maca Cream from Body Shop, the Proraso Eucalyptus and Menthol Cream was my first foray into the wonderful world of shaving creams and soaps that don't come in a pressurized can. I received it as part of a traditional wetshaving starting kit, and it went with me on a 12 month deployment with the UN to South Sudan.

[Image: IMG_0093.JPG]
A little beat up, but still good

I must say that for a newbie in traditional wetshaving the Proraso Cream is a very good choice. It lathers well with little water, lots of water, hard water, soft water... and with any brush I've tried it with so far. Granted, you won't always get good lather until you learn how to make it, but it's great for giving you plenty of play for experimenting with until you learn. It is also good for shaving with - which is nice since it is in fact a shaving cream.

I used it exclusivity for the year I was in Sudan, along with a Body Shop synthetic brush. After a month or so I was able to make consistently good lather, and started to appreciate just how good the slip, glide and cushion of the Proraso Eucalyptus and Menthol Cream was compared to anything that squirt out of a can. The mentholation of this cream is not as strong as some of my other soaps - Mama Bear's Awakeing take the top spot in that regard - but still enough to be noticeable and appreciated on a warm day... as all the days in South Sudan was. I should probably use this cream more often, but I have so many other great soaps and cream to shave with that I cannot stay with one product for any stretch of time.

If you're in the marked for a cream in a tube, and you like menthol, you cannot go wrong with the Proraso Eucalyptus and Menthol Cream.

3 3,433
 08-07-2012, 03:30 AM
User Info
Great review! I've always felt Proraso wrongfully has a subtle reputation of beginner material (even though I know many experienced users enjoy it). I find myself using Proraso when I've had a bad shave the day before or when I "need" an uneventful BBS shave. Haven't tried the new formulations yet but have heard good things.

47 1,270
 08-07-2012, 07:20 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thanks a lot for your inputs about this shaving cream.
Proraso have been on the market for over 50 years,so that means something.
The cream that you used is the previous one to the new released like 6 months ago without parabens,SLS,boric acid etc Its a good shaving cream and I preferred over the shaving soap,which dried my skin.It has a lot of slickness,but I can say that the new one is even slicker!But this old one has a little bit more of menthol kick.
Proraso is a mythical Italian shaving cream and have won that reputation for its merits.

86 7,123
 08-07-2012, 12:23 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
Absolutely, agree. It was my first non-can shave cream and I really enjoy using it. I am currently testing other creams and GFT's Lime shave soap and I find Proraso just as good (or better) than anything else I have tried. This is a great shave cream, period. ClapClap

16 536
 08-07-2012, 01:39 PM
User Info
This ( or its CO Bigelow rebadged version ) is one of my favorite shave creams for a few reasons:

* ease of use - face lather, bowl lather, rub it on with your hands, etc ... it just works
* noticeable cooling factor of the menthol without being over the top
* favorable shaving characteristics
* not detrimental to my skin
* available locally ( in its CO Bigelow colors at Bath and Body Works )

I probably have 5 tubes at home, and I've PIF'd a few to shavers as a replacement for canned goo.

0 252
 08-07-2012, 01:56 PM
User Info
Great review. Believe it or not I have never tried it but its on my list.

98 12,351
 08-07-2012, 07:45 PM
User Info
Thanks for the great review, Hans! Proraso sure if a popular cream.

74 20,776
 08-07-2012, 07:48 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Good review, Proraso... timeless ~~que music~~

88 4,233