08-07-2012, 04:46 AM
  • brian
  • I wear sandalwood sandles
  • THE SWAMP (Florida)
User Info
Good Morning Nook!

I'm looking into trying some Nancy Boy cream, and I'm curious if any of you could share your experiences with any of the creams, and with this scent in particular.

I know they have a description on their site, but I'm terrible with formal scent descriptions and I would be very appreciative if anyone could compare this Blossomwood scent with any other known products.

NancyBoy's site lists this scent as
Quote:Subtle blend of woodsy, citrus & floral notes
Perhaps it's a standard sandalwood? Perhaps a little more like Marlborough or Windsor, or even 4711?

Thank you, any and all, for your assistance!

11 366
 08-07-2012, 05:01 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I'm sorry, I don't know about the Blossomwood scent but I do have the Signature scent cream.
It's outstanding IMO.
With a brush, I get a consistent, creamy, protective, slick lather and I adore the Signature scent.
It can be used brushless as well which is what I think it was initially intended for but that's blasphemy. Biggrin

One thing that I will say is that since they removed the parabens, the cream supposedly has a shorter shelf life. Nancy Boy claims 6 months but I think you can get more out of it than that.
I mention this because the tubs are a decent size and if you rotate creams/soaps with it, you'll find that the tub will last forever. A little but goes a very long way.
The creams are available in 2oz travel sizes also and I think that if you do rotate, this is the way to go. This can also give you a chance to try the other scents.

I hope that helps somewhat!

Eric
Edit to add: join their club before you order. It's free and there is a discount for every order if you do so, even the initial order. Their e-mails are not an intrusion at all and very infrequent.

6 905
 08-07-2012, 06:33 AM
  • brian
  • THE SWAMP (Florida)
User Info
Wow Eric... thanks for sharing your thoughts, that's quite an endorsement!

I'm seriously contemplating grabbing the travel tub of each scent based on your notes about being in rotation.

Thanks again for sharing!

11 366
 08-07-2012, 07:15 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I had the exactly opposite experience than EHV had : I tried the Signature scent one with mediocre results.The lather was ok,but it wasnt slick enough,scent wise was very poor (mint scent,and Im not a big fan) and their skin care properties weren't there at all.Tried 3 times,3 times the same results...

86 7,123
 08-07-2012, 07:23 AM
User Info
The Siganature top notch in all aspects , so is the Cooling aftershave .

0 61
 08-07-2012, 07:33 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I enjoyed whichever one smells like Cucumbers. It was a great performer and felt great as well. I need to get some more!!

116 3,804
 08-07-2012, 08:37 AM
  • brian
  • THE SWAMP (Florida)
User Info
(08-07-2012, 07:33 AM)Dave Wrote: I enjoyed whichever one smells like Cucumbers. It was a great performer and felt great as well. I need to get some more!!

Awesome - glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'm pretty sure that scent is called "replenishing".
At any rate, I have a sample tub of each cream and two of the aftershaves en route - I'll keep you all posted!

11 366
 08-07-2012, 11:54 AM
User Info
(08-07-2012, 07:33 AM)Dave Wrote: I enjoyed whichever one smells like Cucumbers. It was a great performer and felt great as well. I need to get some more!!

I'm currently working through a small sample tub of the NB Replenishing SC. Initially I didn't care for the scent, but after 3 shaves, it's starting to grow on me. I think the performance of NB creams are fantastic. The lather is creamier than I'm used to, but the glide and protection are definitely there. Some day, in the distant future when I have my supplies pared down a bit, I'll be buying the other two scents to see which I like best.

0 836
 08-07-2012, 02:14 PM
User Info
Of all the soaps and creams, Nancy Boy is the only one I can't keep, no matter how hard I try. I've probably bought at least 8 tubs of Signature. I have two grown daughters and they see to it that any Nancy Boy shaving cream that shows up around here disappears just about as quickly as it comes. They love it! I like it too, but who am I? Confused

24 1,151
 08-09-2012, 06:51 AM
  • brian
  • THE SWAMP (Florida)
User Info
OK - According to USPS, I'll have a sample tub of all three Nancy Boy scents in my hands this afternoon!
WOW, that was fast!

11 366
 08-09-2012, 07:09 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
And you'll likely get a nice travel sized sample of something of theirs too. Hopefully, it'll be the aftershave gel which is very nice and has the Signature scent. Otherwise, all of their products are terrific.

Please let us know what you think of the creams!

(08-09-2012, 06:51 AM)brian Wrote: OK - According to USPS, I'll have a sample tub of all three Nancy Boy scents in my hands this afternoon!
WOW, that was fast!

6 905
 08-09-2012, 09:58 AM
User Info
(08-07-2012, 08:37 AM)brian Wrote:

Awesome - glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'm pretty sure that scent is called "replenishing".
At any rate, I have a sample tub of each cream and two of the aftershaves en route - I'll keep you all posted!

I really enjoyed their aftershave. Their best kept secret is actually their laundry detergent. I know that sounds strange, but it is the best stuff we have used by a country mile.

5 78
 08-09-2012, 10:15 AM
  • brian
  • THE SWAMP (Florida)
User Info
I can't wait! I actually ordered a "blossomwood aftershave gel" and a "cooling aftershave gel", both in the travel sizes.
That's really cool that they send samples.

TallyShave, I believe you on the laundry detergent. We actually kicked commercial detergents to the curb in January this year, and my homemade recipe leaves them in the dust. I'll be the nancy boy version is even better because it probably smells much nicer.

11 366
 08-09-2012, 01:02 PM
  • brian
  • THE SWAMP (Florida)
User Info
Woohoo - my sample tubs are here!
Great packaging, prompt shipping, and I can't wait to get my brush wet with this stuff. They did throw in a free 2oz invigorating body wash which will likely be great for travel.

Now to answer my question that started this thread... blossomwood smells like..... ARLINGTON! That's right, it's very similar to the whole Arlington / 4711 / Ocean Kelp family, and I love it! It's on deck for tonight.

Thanks all for the help!

11 366
 08-11-2012, 05:28 AM
User Info
Is the scent of a cream or soap an accurate reflection of how the accompanying aftershave will smell?

I bought a small tube of Arlington shave cream to test it out, before committing to buying the aftershave. I've started with the Proraso eucalyptus scents. I really like the clean fresh scent, but I'm looking to expand my horizons.

0 5
 08-11-2012, 11:54 AM
  • brian
  • THE SWAMP (Florida)
User Info
(08-11-2012, 05:28 AM)swampgas Wrote: Is the scent of a cream or soap an accurate reflection of how the accompanying aftershave will smell?

I bought a small tube of Arlington shave cream to test it out, before committing to buying the aftershave. I've started with the Proraso eucalyptus scents. I really like the clean fresh scent, but I'm looking to expand my horizons.

Hi Swampgas, and welcome to the Nook Biggrin

I don't have any experience with the actual DRH Arlington splash or milk to answer your question, but I may have a more affordable alternative for you.
The DRH aftershaves seem to run around $30+.
4711 is a very nice splash that is in the same scent neighborhood as Arlington. If you're patient, you can almost always find 4711 for anywhere between $5 and $15.

It should also be said that citrus related splashes are not know for their staying power, but rather their brevity. Many think that these scents are already gone or disappearing within just a few minutes.

Good luck!

11 366
 08-11-2012, 01:21 PM
User Info
I have puchased and used both NancyBoy Signature and the Blossomwood. The Signature is outstanding! The Blossomwood works just as well, however the scent is a little too floral for me. It is a good idea to buy the travel size containers and see if you like one, or both.

6 230