08-07-2012, 07:16 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I just got a bunch of Gillette Goal blades in trade along with 7 O'clock yellows, greens and some Feathers. I know I like Feathers and Yellows a lot. Goal and Green I have not tried. So I loaded up a Goal yesterday and had an ok shave, but nothing like a yellow. The blade seemed much duller. Only one shave, though, so I am not forming an opinion. So has anyone used these enough to form an opinion? Are these blades generally considered good, bad or average? Just curious. They are definitely not meant for US market what with the socker theme and all. Great wrapper, but so far not a super awesome blade. On the inside of the wrapper it suggests to use this blade with a Goal razor, which looks like a very cheap throw-away DE affair. Anyone seen these? Just curious. I only have about 5 of these blades and so far they are in the "serviceable, but not desirable" category of blades for me. I find that I can get a good shave from just about any blade out there except for very few (Chroma, 7 AM - a Bangladeshi blade not to be confused with any of the Gillette products and a few other blades are an absolute no-go for me). Some like Derby, Merkur, Personna Super (med/lab) are not the ones that feel great, but still work fine.

25 1,705
 08-07-2012, 07:29 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
To me the Gillettes go in this order

Blacks>Yellows>Blues>everything else

I don't like the Thins or Greens at all. The Blacks are one of the best blades in the world as far as I am concerned. I didn't care for the Goals either.

116 3,804
 08-07-2012, 07:37 AM
User Info
YMMV, but I found that the 'Gillette Goal' works rather well in my Parker 22R and Merkur 39C - four shaves and still smooth - but not so well in my Merkur 985CL. I should pick up more of them to try in my other razors next time I order blades...

Overall I find them to be not quite up there with the 'Willikins Sword', 'Lord Platinum' and 'Feather HiStainless' - more on pair with the 'Treet Platinum Super Stainless' and 'Racer Super Stainless'.

Looking at the wrapper, the Goal razor actually looks like something I would be willing to take for a spin... if I knew where to get one Tongue

3 3,580
 08-07-2012, 09:36 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
(08-07-2012, 07:29 AM)Dave Wrote: To me the Gillettes go in this order

Blacks>Yellows>Blues>everything else

I don't like the Thins or Greens at all. The Blacks are one of the best blades in the world as far as I am concerned. I didn't care for the Goals either.

I love the Black's too but their my second favorite blade overall. First is the Gillette Minora for me. The Minora's seriously blow my mind. Such a smooth shave every time. I prefer platinum blades and the Blacks and Minora's top that list for me. Below those I like Super Max Super Platinum, Astra Platinums, And Rapira Platinums. The Minora's are slightly more expesive than the blacks and are only sold on Westcoast as far as I can tell. Have you trid the Minora Dave?. I could send you a couple, I would be interested in hearing how you think they compare to the black and other platinums.

45 3,955
 08-07-2012, 10:56 AM
User Info
I have tried these Goals and have found them to be pretty sharp, infact a bit sharper than Yellows but I have to agree that the Yelows are smoother.

0 54
 08-24-2012, 03:42 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
A huge thank you to Travis for the Minora. I used it for the first time this morning. I acquired a couple of Rotbarts in the last week and wanted to wait till I was more comfortable with them to try out anything other than an Astra (my usual blade). It's very smooth and comfortable and glided along well. To me the first shave was smoother than either a Gillette Yellow or a Gillette Black.

116 3,804
 08-24-2012, 04:58 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
That is high praise! I had followed your lead with the Gillette's and found similar.

Blacks, Yellows and Blues are my favorites, even above SI's, Polsilver SI's, regular Polsilver's, etc.

Astra SP's,(because they are decently sharp, very smooth as well as very consistent for me plus I have an abundance of them) are usually my test blades in a new razor as well.
It's time to try a Minora as well as a Goal!

(08-24-2012, 03:42 AM)Dave Wrote: A huge thank you to Travis for the Minora. I used it for the first time this morning. I acquired a couple of Rotbarts in the last week and wanted to wait till I was more comfortable with them to try out anything other than an Astra (my usual blade). It's very smooth and comfortable and glided along well. To me the first shave was smoother than either a Gillette Yellow or a Gillette Black.

6 905
 08-24-2012, 06:44 AM
User Info
I have only used the yellows and they are great.

0 91
 08-24-2012, 07:16 AM
User Info
I've used a number of Goal blades and find them to fall into the catagory of "Quite Serviceable". Sharp enough and plenty smooth. Not a bad blade, just not a great blade

4 952
 08-24-2012, 08:04 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Yellows and greens and black wrapper. All are excellent blades.

100 12,445
 08-24-2012, 09:00 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
(08-24-2012, 03:42 AM)Dave Wrote: A huge thank you to Travis for the Minora. I used it for the first time this morning. I acquired a couple of Rotbarts in the last week and wanted to wait till I was more comfortable with them to try out anything other than an Astra (my usual blade). It's very smooth and comfortable and glided along well. To me the first shave was smoother than either a Gillette Yellow or a Gillette Black.

Glad to hear the first run went well!

45 3,955