10-27-2016, 02:35 AM
User Info
Hello gents,

I have an old Kent that is shedding like crazy because of old age and I want to re-knot it.
I find it difficult to go through all that resin at the bottom. Is there an easy way to get rid of it?

0 227
 10-27-2016, 03:06 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
An artisan like Rudy Vey could remove and reset the knot of your choosing at a reasonable rate. Otherwise you could pad and tape the handle, put it in a vice and use a drill to remove the glue with a forstner bit. I'd use a caliper to figure out the opening and size the bit accordingly. But be careful and go slow...I've ruined my fair share of handle using the method. For me the artisan pricing is decent compared to ruining the handle. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

71 1,468
 10-27-2016, 03:47 AM
User Info
(10-27-2016, 02:35 AM)kyproset Wrote: Hello gents,

I have an old Kent that is shedding like crazy because of old age and I want to re-knot it.
I find it difficult to go through all that resin at the bottom. Is there an easy way to get rid of it?

Crag's suggested a good approach.  The only thing I'd add is that if you have access to a drill press, I'd use that instead of trying to hand hold a drill. Assuming the knot's still in place, I find the best thing to do is to cut off as much hair as possible with a pair of scissors, then use an undersized drill bit to drill out the center of the knot.  Go slowly removing hair as you go, checking frequently for the bottom of the knot/glue.  Once you're down to the handle material, go to a larger bit (but still smaller than the socket diameter) and repeat.  When you get close to the edge of the socket, you can often pick out the remaining hair and adhesive.  But again: take your time.  It's very easy to mess up a nice handle.

If you don't want to mess with all that, someone like Rudy's a good alternative.

Good luck!

2 583