03-09-2012, 05:02 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Meehan Bay Rhum is made in Santa Cruz, California at Bonny Doon Farms and is made in small batches and then aged in oak barrels before being bottled. This is a really nice and traditional interpretation of Bay Rum that only includes the oil of three different varieties of Bay leaves and Bay Berries, Rosewater and Rum. There is no clove in this Bay Rum which I find to be a huge plus.

It is categorized as a cologne and I would not recommend splashing it on a freshly shaven face unless you do not mind a little burn (I happen to like a bit of burn but others may not). That said, even though it is a cologne, it is by no means overpowering but rather gives you a hint of a really warm Bay Rum scent for most of the day. Outstanding!

[Image: yhst-16445739206724_2201_4334519]

45 16,363
 03-22-2012, 11:33 AM
User Info
Hvanet tried the complimenting soap...it's a matter of time before I break down and give in to my AD

4 158
 03-22-2012, 11:54 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
If you find the Bay Rhum to your liking consider their two other offerings. They are one of the few makers of true sandalwood.
I like most of the 'sandalwoods' out there very much. The 'real deal' is a drier, single note much like cinnamon or juniper and LOVELY.
It's pricier, but if you understand the protections on modern production very reasonable compared to others.

2 3,171
 06-26-2013, 05:00 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I am very keen on trying this bay rum and now regret not including it in my last order from Bullgoose. I have become addicted to Dominica Bay Rum, both for its straight up bay scent and for its affect on my cleanly shaven face. Meehan's sounds like it is in the same category of bay rum - i.e., all bay, no clove or other spices. Does anyone use it as an aftershave? Anyone have experience with both Meehan's and DBR that could compare their use as an aftershave?

43 1,690
 06-26-2013, 05:07 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
I really like Bay Rum, but here in Brazil there´s nothing of that sort. Here we are the kings of Menthol ASL´s. There´s thousands of them...

It´s a shame that i cant buy alcohol content ASL´s from overseas anymore...

4 447
 06-26-2013, 05:18 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(06-26-2013, 05:07 AM)Gago Wrote: I really like Bay Rum, but here in Brazil there´s nothing of that sort. Here we are the kings of Menthol ASL´s. There´s thousands of them...

I believe Italian Barber ships to Brazil.

173 23,557
 06-26-2013, 06:04 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
(06-26-2013, 05:18 AM)Johnny Wrote:
(06-26-2013, 05:07 AM)Gago Wrote: I really like Bay Rum, but here in Brazil there´s nothing of that sort. Here we are the kings of Menthol ASL´s. There´s thousands of them...

I believe Italian Barber ships to Brazil.

I think they do, but the only shipping method available is "standard" wich, i dont think it has a tracking number.
Here, it is imperative, otherwise the merchandise can "vanish" ...Confused

4 447
 06-26-2013, 06:40 AM
  • TRBeck
  • Unregistered
User Info
(06-26-2013, 05:00 AM)Andrew Wrote: I am very keen on trying this bay rum and now regret not including it in my last order from Bullgoose. I have become addicted to Dominica Bay Rum, both for its straight up bay scent and for its affect on my cleanly shaven face. Meehan's sounds like it is in the same category of bay rum - i.e., all bay, no clove or other spices. Does anyone use it as an aftershave? Anyone have experience with both Meehan's and DBR that could compare their use as an aftershave?
Meehan's is much more concentrated than Dominica. It has some rosewater in it, too, which deepens its scent and adds dimension. It actually starts quite sweet, perhaps due to other botanical elements or the base spirit, which is sugar cane derived. Regardless, I love its scent. However, it is potent enough that it actually causes me skin irritation even when splashed on my chest. On my face it was almost unbearable. The fragrance lasts all day and becomes very deep, round, and masculine. It has no clove or cinnamon, but it does come on strong, and if your skin can handle it, it is simply divine.

06-26-2013, 06:46 AM
User Info
All of their products smell fantastic. I don't wear cologne but I've been known to take a whiff of the tester at the many stores that carry this around here.The Bonny Doon Farm lavender items are very fine as well. Unfortunately the Meehan shave soap does not work.

15 762
 06-26-2013, 12:10 PM
User Info
I first heard about Meehan's from Phil some time ago so I ordered a bottle from him. As Phil says, it's a terrific Bay Rum with good staying power. Awesome stuff.

9 1,199
 06-26-2013, 01:18 PM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
Many of my friends consider that Bay Rum as Gold Standard.

11 861
 06-26-2013, 01:35 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(06-26-2013, 01:18 PM)celar36 Wrote: Many of my friends consider that Bay Rum as Gold Standard.

I have heard the same said of St. John's Bay Rum. I haven't smelled that one either.

43 1,690