10-28-2016, 07:52 AM
User Info
Hey everyone! 

Looking to crowdsource some honing knowledge and opinion. 

My straight collection is getting bigger. I'd like to go beyond casual maintenance and will add stones to the mix. 

Currently deciding between Shapton pros, Shapton glass, or one of the Naniwa sets. Finishing stone will either be a natural Shubodani or a Gokuymo 20k. 

What are your thoughts on these stones? What do you recommend? thank you

39 369
 10-28-2016, 09:23 AM
User Info
Had the glass. Very nice stones.

0 89
 10-28-2016, 10:11 AM
User Info
Never used the Shapton stones so i can't really comment on them but the Naniwa stones are good and produce very consistent results. 

Regarding the finisher i wouldn't really recommend a natural to start off with as a finisher if this is your first go at honing, they can be quite pricey and you really need to acquire them from a reliable source as there are many fakes floating around places like Ebay. 

The Gokumyo is the best synthetic i have ever used, it's an incredibly hard stone that produces excellent results with very smooth edges but again is quite costly and as far as i am aware can only be sourced from Japan so you may incur more costs from import taxes and whatnot, if you don't want to spend too much then a 12k Naniwa would be a sufficient to finish on but at the end of the day it is entirely up to you.

7 783
 10-28-2016, 10:20 AM
User Info
I started with the older Naniwa SS 1K,5K then an 8K Suehiro and a Shapton 12K and finished on a Shapton 16K glass, these were purchased as used stones and I used them for many, many months, I found the Naniwas to clog fairly easily and needed to be cleaned alot and I was using way to many stones in my opinion so I simplified my routine with a Chosera 1K (rarely gets used) Shapton 4K/8K Glass (Great stones IMHO) and finish on one of several JNATS so I can go from bevel to finish in 3 stones unless the razor has issues that require using the 1K.

I think al the synthetics leading up to the finisher will work well it honestly comes down to cost, for me after using a mixed bag of larger stones the Shapton Glass are very nice, very smooth consistent feedback and clean up very easily, the hardest part for me was the finisher, I had used synthetics and was pretty happy and the edgers were very consistent but after I tried a razor honed on a JNAT and also a coticle I knew from the 3 I wanted a JNAT edge and it's been that way ever since, have thought about revisiting coticules and even adding a higher grit synthetic but have not done it so far.

I would say try all the different finished edges and pick the one you like, working up to the finisher is a pretty easy decision as all the makers make pretty good stones.

6 1,257
 10-28-2016, 10:22 AM
User Info
Naniwa 1,3,5,8,12k is a nice set.

48 5,717
 10-28-2016, 11:41 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I enjoy my Naniwa stones: 1, 5, Snow White 8, 12k. I then progress to a Suehiro 20K and a JNat.

38 5,032
 10-28-2016, 03:53 PM
User Info
(10-28-2016, 11:41 AM)evnpar Wrote: I enjoy my Naniwa stones: 1, 5, Snow White 8, 12k. I then progress to a Suehiro 20K and a JNat.

Richard,

Do you find after going to the 20k then JNAT that your edge gets knocked back some ?the reason i ask is i have been thinking about adding a stone and would going from a Shapton 8K to a 16 be to big of a jump ?

6 1,257
 10-28-2016, 06:06 PM
User Info
(10-28-2016, 11:41 AM)evnpar Wrote: I enjoy my Naniwa stones: 1, 5, Snow White 8, 12k. I then progress to a Suehiro 20K and a JNat.

Richard, do you perceive any difference between the Snow White 8k and the regular 8k?

48 5,717
 10-28-2016, 07:03 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(10-28-2016, 06:06 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:

Richard, do you perceive any difference between the Snow White 8k and the regular 8k?

Jamie is the one who turned me on to this stone. He hones hundreds of razors and is a real expert, so I would ask him. I purchased the Snow White instead of the regular 8k when I was initially investing in stones, and I therefore can't compare the two. I do really enjoy the stone. However, if I already had the regular Naniwa 8k, I wouldn't spend the money to upgrade to the Snow White, as I'm very pleased with my other Naniwa stones.

38 5,032
 10-28-2016, 07:27 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(10-28-2016, 03:53 PM)Panther308 Wrote:

Richard,

Do you find after going to the 20k then JNAT that your edge gets knocked back some ?the reason i ask is i have been thinking about adding a stone and would going from a Shapton 8K to a 16 be to big of a jump ?

I am only into honing for about a year an a half. I don't have any experience in going from an 8k to a 16k. My first stones were a 12k and a 20k. I had all of my razors professionally honed, and used them to refresh the blade for my first year of using a straight. About six - 9 months ago I purchased 1, 5, and 8k stones as I began to enjoy honing as much as shaving with magnificent razors. While I've been extremely pleased with the edge from my 20k 90% of the time, occasionally it's a little too sharp without being smooth until my second or third shave after using it. I therefore recently picked up  a JNAT for finishing and polishing and am comparing it in place of my 20k vs after my 20k. I've about had my fill of soap and brush addictions, am slowing down a little with my straight addiction, but my fear now is developing a JNAT addiction in the quest for a perfect edge.

38 5,032
 10-28-2016, 11:13 PM
User Info
Hi Mark,

My advice to you would be if you intend going for a total bevel set on a regular basis then get yourself this lineup Naniwa 1K, 3K, 5K, 8K, 12K. Forget about he 20K SG even though it's quite simply a outstanding stone you don't need to go past the 12K to achieve really great edges, the SG 20K is a stone i use everyweek as I hone quite a few razors for customers If you don't mind the initial cost of the stone then please go ahead and make the purchase, but for someone starting off that stone is a luxury you can do without.

PS I can give you my 7% discount code for Knives & Tools who sell a comprehensive range of Naniwa stones, they are also very reliable online retailer.

11 1,921
 10-29-2016, 05:11 AM
User Info

Richard,

William going from a Shapton 8K to a 16K is a perfect next step progression in reality that's exactly the same as going from a 1K to a 2K or a 4K to a 8K or a 10K to a 20K.

11 1,921
 10-29-2016, 06:39 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
My current progression is Shapton Pros 2k,5k, 8k (or the Shapton Glass 8K HC, the grey one), then koma nagura and tomo nagura on a jnat. I can skip the 8k actually.

I didn't care for the Naniwa Snow White compared to either of the Shaptons. It is a thirsty stone compared to either of the Shaptons. The 8K High Carbon polishes more than the Pro, and makes it easier to see any defect from previous stages, though I believe it temds to produce a little fin or false edge. The Pro may do that too, it may just be harder to see, but no matter the koma and tomo slurry removes anything like that very quickly.

If you're interested in a Snow White, send me a PM or I can put it up.

Cheers, Steve

7 469
 10-29-2016, 07:39 AM
User Info
(10-29-2016, 05:11 AM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote:

Richard,

William going from a Shapton 8K to a 16K is a perfect next step progression in reality that's exactly the same as going from a 1K to a 2K or a 4K to a 8K or a 10K to a 20K.
Jamie,

I may go ahead and order a Shapton 16K glass to add to the mix, I normally don't use a 1K unless a razor has an issue like chips and such so I set the bevel with a 4K then I go 8K both are Shapton glass then I use one of several JNATS and then do about 5-7 laps on CrOx and 75 on leather and am pretty happy with the edge but was thinking the 16K would refine the edge a tad more before going to the final JNAT finish.

6 1,257
 10-29-2016, 01:22 PM
User Info
(10-28-2016, 11:13 PM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: Hi Mark,

My advice to you would be if you intend going for a total bevel set on a regular basis then get yourself this lineup Naniwa 1K, 3K, 5K, 8K, 12K. Forget about he 20K SG even though it's quite simply a outstanding stone you don't need to go past the 12K to achieve really great edges, the SG 20K is a stone i use everyweek as I hone quite a few razors for customers If you don't mind the initial cost of the stone then please go ahead and make the purchase, but for someone starting off that stone is a luxury you can do without.

PS I can give you my 7% discount code for Knives & Tools who sell a comprehensive range of Naniwa stones, they are also very reliable online retailer.

Thank you Jamie, I'd really appreciate that. Do you ever use naturals stones?

It seems Naniwas are a very popular set, and the Choseras seem to be the cream of the Nani crop. I was originally leaning towards the Shapton Pros but now I think I'll pick up some Choseras.

(10-29-2016, 06:39 AM)Steve56 Wrote: My current progression is Shapton Pros 2k,5k, 8k (or the Shapton Glass 8K HC, the grey one), then koma nagura and tomo nagura on a jnat. I can skip the 8k actually.

I didn't care for the Naniwa Snow White compared to either of the Shaptons. It is a thirsty stone compared to either of the Shaptons. The 8K High Carbon polishes more than the Pro, and makes it easier to see any defect from previous stages, though I believe it temds to produce a little fin or false edge. The Pro may do that too, it may just be harder to see, but no matter the koma and tomo slurry removes anything like that very quickly.

Cheers, Steve

I'll have to learn more about the snow white. Do you always go koma and then tomo in that order? Whats your process on the natural?

39 369
 10-29-2016, 01:24 PM
User Info
Thank you for the replies everyone, Naniwas seem to be the biggest recommendation so far. Are the Choseras the ones to go after?

39 369
 10-29-2016, 10:18 PM
User Info
Mark I don't use naturals as i like the edges I get from synthetics, the new Naniwa Pro stones are the replacements for the older Chosera set.

11 1,921
 10-30-2016, 05:23 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
(10-29-2016, 01:22 PM)immoralworker Wrote:
(10-28-2016, 11:13 PM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: Hi Mark,

Thank you Jamie, I'd really appreciate that. Do you ever use naturals stones?

It seems Naniwas are a very popular set, and the Choseras seem to be the cream of the Nani crop. I was originally leaning towards the Shapton Pros but now I think I'll pick up some Choseras.

(10-29-2016, 06:39 AM)Steve56 Wrote: My current progression is Shapton Pros 2k,5k, 8k (or the Shapton Glass 8K HC, the grey one), then koma nagura and tomo nagura on a jnat. I can skip the 8k actually.

Cheers, Steve

I'll have to learn more about the snow white. Do you always go koma and then tomo in that order? Whats your process on the natural?

Yes you always do koma before the tomo nagura, koma is usually not as fine, though you can usually shave with a koma edge just fine. Usually koma then tomo nagura on a finisher are my only naturals, and I can skip the 8k if I want to.

People like the Chosera/Pro series, but they do not make an 8k in the Chosera/Pro line, and the Snow White Jyunpaku is very close to the Pros in its honing characteristics, hence its popularity. The Pro 10k would be fine but costs something like 3x as much.

Cheers, Steve

7 469
 10-30-2016, 07:00 AM
User Info
I can add my "LIMITED" experience to this thread. I have been honing on film for five years and my film supply is running out. It was time to get more film or stones. I chose Naniwas. I added the a Chosera 1k and 3K about a year ago for bevel setting, using  either one depending on the edge. Not to long ago I got Naniwa's Gouken Hayabusa in 4K and Gouken Fuji in 8K. From there I go coticule or Arkansas for extra finishing. Going from film to Naniwas was a low learning curve and have no regrets, money well spent. All four stones give me great results.

8 95
 10-30-2016, 08:48 AM
User Info
have used both naniwa ss and shapton pro.i prefer the shapton stones.my naniwa`s warp and need alot of lapping before every use,and the steel from the razor often get embedded in the surface when honing.never had any issues with the shaptons.

0 21