10-28-2016, 07:40 PM
User Info
I have them in both best and synthetic. The "best" was my dream brush for a long time before I purchased it. I can make much better lather with one third the load time with the synthetic. What am I doing wrong?

2 144
 10-28-2016, 08:21 PM
User Info
Nothing.  Synthetics work better.

11 973
 10-28-2016, 09:28 PM
User Info
Synthetic are superior latherers.

Badgers have superior feel.

But the difference is not that big any more to be honest.

IMHO YMMV

24 5,972
 10-28-2016, 09:50 PM
User Info
(10-28-2016, 09:28 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Synthetic are superior latherers.

IMHO YMMV

Joining the dark side Claus...

Muahahaha!

But he's right, synthetics are fantastic latherers. Very efficient and easy to use.

11 1,169
 10-29-2016, 12:16 AM
User Info
You're not doing anything wrong.  As others have posted, synthetics excel at lathering.

50 6,115
 10-29-2016, 12:04 PM
User Info
(10-28-2016, 09:50 PM)1Geralt Wrote:
(10-28-2016, 09:28 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Synthetic are superior latherers.

IMHO YMMV

Joining the dark side Claus...

Muahahaha!

But he's right, synthetics are fantastic latherers. Very efficient and easy to use.

It's a bit complicated to be honest.

Some days I use my KONG and my Monster and think both are the best face lather brushes you can get, compared to ANYHTING.

Other days they both come up short, especially if the soap demads me to push a bit hard in on my face for the brush to make the lather, the synthetic fibres unnatural feel reveals itself to me and I prefer badgers in that moment. But it's a bit werid, because synthetica lather better and faster than badgers, so they should be used especially for soaps, that don't lather that easily - but because I don't like the more dense synthetic, when I have to press them in on my face, it's at that exact moment, I prefer badgers over synthetics.

But when I use for instance Caties Bubbles old French Style soap, that lathers very easily, my Stirling KONG synthetic is the best brush in the world to face lathe with, better than any of the 150+ top badgers I have owned.

This is why I still own badgers and synthetics - they don't all work equally well for all the soaps and creams I own.

24 5,972
 10-30-2016, 09:32 AM
User Info
Claus, I have to say I agree 100%.  Plisson-style synths, especially the Kong/Monster size, are the most efficient face latherers out there.  I can whip up a good lather in seconds with mine.  However, the feel of a premium badger brush is different and special.

11 973
 10-30-2016, 09:45 AM
User Info
I agree with the general sentiments on the strengths and weaknesses of these brushes.

Just to add to what these gentlemen are saying, I sold all my badgers at one point in time after falling in love with synthetics. Don't do that. There is a place and time for both.

I can't really explain it, but I go through periods where I prefer one vs. the other. And, like Claus said, some work better depending on the soap/cream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 282
 10-30-2016, 12:03 PM
User Info
I have a 26 mm plisson type brush that while it lathers great, I really don't care for it at the moment because of the feel; or I should say the lack there of. I do love the feel of the Simpson brush. Is the Muhle fibre the same as the Simpson?

2 144
 10-30-2016, 03:42 PM
User Info
(10-30-2016, 12:03 PM)Spudnut Wrote: I have a 26 mm plisson type brush that while it lathers great, I really don't care for it at the moment because of the feel; or I should say the lack there of. I do love the feel of the Simpson brush. Is the Muhle fibre the same as the Simpson?

I've heard that the Simpson brush has a very similar, or quite possibly the same, fiber as Muhle uses in their synthetic brushes.

6 75
 10-30-2016, 03:46 PM
User Info
(10-30-2016, 12:03 PM)Spudnut Wrote: I have a 26 mm plisson type brush that while it lathers great, I really don't care for it at the moment because of the feel; or I should say the lack there of. I do love the feel of the Simpson brush. Is the Muhle fibre the same as the Simpson?

The 26mm Plisson type knots do lather extremely well.  I have a 26mm Plisson type from Maggard Razors which is excellent and a great value.  However, as you allude to, I have not found another synthetic brush which gives me the same face  feel as the Chubby 2.  It's the synthetic version of the "wall of badger" Simpson is known for.  As for the Muhle, I rank the XL version as my second favorite synthetic brush, behind the Chubby 2, and ahead of all the Plisson type versions out there.

50 6,115
 10-30-2016, 04:11 PM
User Info
(10-30-2016, 03:46 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:

The 26mm Plisson type knots do lather extremely well.  I have a 26mm Plisson type from Maggard Razors which is excellent and a great value.  However, as you allude to, I have not found another synthetic brush which gives me the same face  feel as the Chubby 2.  It's the synthetic version of the "wall of badger" Simpson is known for.  As for the Muhle, I rank the XL version as my second favorite synthetic brush, behind the Chubby 2, and ahead of all the Plisson type versions out there.

It has only taken about 100 shaves to get the Chubby 2 to really soften, but it really just keeps getting better and better. I sure hope it is indestructible!  Tongue

2 144
 10-30-2016, 07:34 PM
User Info
I do much better with a synthetic brush when I use a stick for face lathering. For bowl lathering with some soaps I find a boar brush such as my SOC works nicely.
As Claus said, it depends on the soap sometimes.

5 1,539