08-07-2012, 10:54 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I am looking to buy a small best badger knot. I know TGN sells them, but I am checking here first in case someone has one kicking around. I would also consider a Wee Scot with a compromised handle. If anyone has one that fell and handle broke or something and it's just collecting dust, I would take it off your hands and give it another lease on life in the handle I made:

An approximate mock-up of the Wee Scot with this handle. Not very accurate as the Wee Scot is behind the handle and the camera is close enough to the handle to make the knot look smaller than it is in perspective.

25 1,705
 08-08-2012, 05:43 AM
User Info
In case this is helpful, this is the TGN Finest in 16mm that I had put into a vintage gillette brush. Next to it is the wee scot. That should give you some sense of what you'd be getting from TGN. A great, great performing knot btw.

5 298
 08-08-2012, 08:02 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(08-08-2012, 05:43 AM)oakeshott Wrote: In case this is helpful, this is the TGN Finest in 16mm that I had put into a vintage gillette brush. Next to it is the wee scot. That should give you some sense of what you'd be getting from TGN. A great, great performing knot btw.

Wow! What a beautiful restore! I am familiar with a TGN finest. I put a 20mm fan shaped one into an old Ever-Ready handle with a 22mm hole. Worked out extremely well and I agree, that TGN Finest is a beautiful thing. For me the fan shaped, which is also extra-stuffed (they all may be that way) is a bit too dense and hogs lather a bit, but that's being picky. It's a beautiful brush. What loft did you set to that Gillette? How does it hold and release the lather? I really like brushes to release the lather as I am using it up. I find pure badgers are real good at it, perhaps because they tend to not be as dense? I haven't figured out the magic formula. I like the fact the TGN finest has stiff shafts and soft tips. I can make it a bit on a floppy side for leather release and still get descent backbone and scrub. Thanks for the pictures.

25 1,705
 08-08-2012, 08:29 AM
User Info
I'll check the loft when I get home. Bob Farvour did the restore for me.

I think it releases lather as well as any brush I have and better than one of them that has a very fancy and expensive knot in it, but my judgment on that is not so reliable. I may do a side by side with the wee scot this evening and check. Will let you know.

5 298