10-30-2016, 06:19 PM
User Info
i cant decide which way to go! I understand cool has better ingredients and probably better in performance than floid but how do the scents compare? I know that cool is supposedly a homage to floid blue without the "bready" dry down and from what ive read cool is supposed to be stronger and last a little longer. Is the scent of cool more like aqua velva or what?

0 55
 10-30-2016, 06:35 PM
User Info
Never tried the BM, but I love my Floid Blue

13 495
 10-30-2016, 07:19 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
I've been a Floid Blue fan for a bit (although I like Vigoroso better), and sniffed the Barrister Reserve Cool at the Seattle Shave Con last month with Will in attendance. Having not splashed them both, I can tell you the Cool scent is uncannily similar to the Blue. If I were you, I would go with the Blue, assuming you can get it at a reasonable price at Gifts & Care or TVB. I bought Barrister Reserve Spice, which smells just like my vintage Old Spice. Vintage Old Spice is not available except through estate sales, antique stores and eBay, while Blue is still being produced. And the 400ml jug of Blue is relatively affordable. Vintage Old Spice is much more expensive, in my experience.

6 354
 10-30-2016, 08:37 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I've been using B&M Classic and have enjoyed it's overall quality. I generally use an alcohol AS + a balm, and B&M leaves my face feeling as if I'd used both. However, I'm also a big Floid Blue fan, and if you can get the large glass bottle of Blue for a reasonable price, I would go with that.

38 5,109
 10-31-2016, 09:50 AM
User Info
High praise indeed for Will's Barrister Reserve to be even mentioned in the same sentence with one of the greatest aftershaves of all time! I have not tried Reserve Cool but I love Floid Blue.

74 2,274
 10-31-2016, 09:52 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
I have both and love Floid Blue so much that I bought 3 bottles when it was discontinued.  The B&M is more nourishing and is what I turn to when my face is feeling raw/sensitive.

Eric

48 976
 10-31-2016, 10:10 AM
User Info
Floid hands down.

There is a reason it's been loved by so many for so long...

82 2,208
 10-31-2016, 11:42 AM
User Info
well i just bought the last bottle tbv shaving had. I ordered mine and then went back to floid blue on the site and it says unavailable Smile

0 55
 10-31-2016, 11:43 AM
User Info
I would get floid for the classy look and B&M for performance, the old Italian bottle of floid is even nicer looking.

60 1,529
 11-01-2016, 04:23 PM
User Info
I would only buy the Floid. This copying game has spun out of control. While I did not care for many Barrister and Mann scents in the past, I have acknowledged the fact that he was trying to be original. For me, the hallmark of mediocrity is when a soap producer attempts to copy products that are still in production. B&M has now joined the ranks of other soap producers that ride the coattails of other companies to line their own pockets. Some will state that "there is a market for it." I think if this is the premise B&M uses to justify copying a product already being produced, the company has lost all credibility in terms of creativity in my eyes...

160 1,037
 11-01-2016, 04:27 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(11-01-2016, 04:23 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote: I would only buy the Floid. This copying game has spun out of control. While I did not care for many Barrister and Mann scents in the past, I have acknowledged the fact that he was trying to be original. For me, the hallmark of mediocrity is when a soap producer attempts to copy products that are still in production. B&M has now joined the ranks of other soap producers that ride the coattails of other companies to line their own pockets. Some will state that "there is a market for it." I think if this is the premise B&M uses to justify copying a product already being produced, the company has lost all credibility in terms of creativity in my eyes...

Agreed, 100%.
Floid Blue is legit and original, without need of questionable hype.

102 18,652
 11-01-2016, 04:30 PM
User Info
Sure glad I have 2 bottles of Floid Blue inbound!

2 328
 11-01-2016, 04:31 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(11-01-2016, 04:30 PM)Pfirnett Wrote: Sure glad I have 2 bottles of Floid Blue inbound!

I have 12 bottles of Floid Blue.  Cool

102 18,652
 11-01-2016, 04:31 PM
User Info
I had 10.

160 1,037
 11-01-2016, 04:55 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(11-01-2016, 04:31 PM)Agravic Wrote:
(11-01-2016, 04:30 PM)Pfirnett Wrote: Sure glad I have 2 bottles of Floid Blue inbound!

I have 12 bottles of Floid Blue.  Cool

We need to talk. Smile

178 23,809
 11-01-2016, 05:51 PM
User Info
Don't have 12, but I am set for a while... Biggrin
[Image: UIPR1bh.jpg]

39 3,919
 11-01-2016, 05:52 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(11-01-2016, 05:51 PM)primotenore Wrote: Don't have 12, but I am set for a while... Biggrin

Nice!

102 18,652
 11-01-2016, 05:54 PM
User Info
(11-01-2016, 05:52 PM)Agravic Wrote:
(11-01-2016, 05:51 PM)primotenore Wrote: Don't have 12, but I am set for a while... Biggrin

Nice!
Sisi

39 3,919
 11-01-2016, 06:25 PM
User Info
(11-01-2016, 04:23 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote: I would only buy the Floid. This copying game has spun out of control. While I did not care for many Barrister and Mann scents in the past, I have acknowledged the fact that he was trying to be original. For me, the hallmark of mediocrity is when a soap producer attempts to copy products that are still in production. B&M has now joined the ranks of other soap producers that ride the coattails of other companies to line their own pockets. Some will state that "there is a market for it." I think if this is the premise B&M uses to justify copying a product already being produced, the company has lost all credibility in terms of creativity in my eyes...

Barrister's Reserve line of products is meant to preserve discontinued (or original formulations of) aftershaves while improving upon the moisturizing properties. Like Gillette Sun Up ("Classic") and the original Old Spice before reformulation ("Spice"). When suggestions for other scents came up on another forum, Will shot them down as they were still in production.

I would expect Will to know if Floïd Blue has been discontinued before making his version available. But is Floïd Blue actually still in production? I just assumed what's still available from vendors is just last of the remaining stock but production has stopped.

Regarding which to choose - Floïd Blue is definitely a better value if it's still available (I think it was once available for $40usd shipped from a vendor). But if you can't find it and looking for better moisturizing properties, Reserve is definitely the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 107
 11-01-2016, 06:35 PM
User Info
(11-01-2016, 06:25 PM)chill31613 Wrote:

Barrister's Reserve line of products is meant to preserve discontinued (or original formulations of) aftershaves while improving upon the moisturizing properties. Like Gillette Sun Up ("Classic") and the original Old Spice before reformulation ("Spice").  When suggestions for other scents came up on another forum, Will shot them down as they were still in production.

I would expect Will to know if Floïd Blue has been discontinued before making his version available. But is Floïd Blue actually still in production? I just assumed what's still available from vendors is just last of the remaining stock but production has stopped.  

Regarding which to choose - Floïd Blue is definitely a better value if it's still available (I think it was once available for $40usd shipped from a vendor). But if you can't find it and looking for better moisturizing properties, Reserve is definitely the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Floid Blue has been available from vendors in Europe long since the alleged shelving of the product was made known. While the current formulation of Old Spice may differ from a previous iteration, is that really an excuse to copy it? I don't think of this as preserving as much as it is stealing an idea and marketing it as his own. 

A popular department store fragrance, Dior Homme, underwent a reformulation. Many people swear the original is the best and the subsequent rendition, while retaining some of the charm of the former, was just no good. Should we encourage someone to go out and "recreate" Dior Homme in all its original glory, convince the masses that the current product is no good and their product is far superior and by virtue of these facts, snub the original for the dupe? Not me.

160 1,037