10-31-2016, 05:49 AM
  • joe j
  • South Florida
User Info
I have tried many fougere scented soaps in the hopes of finding one that has the same or very similar fragrance to my favorite - Martin De Candre. I have discovered that like most scents there is a broad spectrum of fougere scents. I have yet to find one that matches that of Martin De Candre Fougere. Were I to list the ones I have tried and sold because they were no at all close the list would be extensive.
One that performs as well would be a bonus. I do not experience the drying effect with MDC that some experience so the soap is in my top 5. The price with shipping from France is step. Thankfully I was able to acquire one here on the forum from a member.A US based company would be awesome  if you have one to reccomend.

21 142
 10-31-2016, 06:23 AM
User Info
I think that Black Fern from LA Shaving Soap Co is pretty damn close. I also find the performance to be very good, and this is from someone who loves MdC. I think it's at least the equal of MdC, if not better. Good luck with the search!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6 36
 10-31-2016, 07:01 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
As Gaidin mentioned above, Black Fern from LASS, or Dead Sea by Razorock.

49 639
 10-31-2016, 07:02 AM
User Info
i have ordered lass black fern twice as a replacement for mdc.  i totally agree with gaidin23.  also it is reasonably priced

76 1,331
 10-31-2016, 07:35 AM
User Info
Joe, I have never quite smelled anything like MdC in any other soap, really, and I don't think you'll find it (personally, I don't like it, at all). Why are you looking since this is your favourite soap and they make it, so well? Why not just stock up on all three varieties.   Smile

83 21,111
 10-31-2016, 09:17 AM
User Info
(10-31-2016, 07:35 AM)celestino Wrote: Joe, I have never quite smelled anything like MdC in any other soap, really, and I don't think you'll find it (personally, I don't like it, at all). Why are you looking since this is your favourite soap and they make it, so well? Why not just stock up on all three varieties.   Smile

Agreed.  Just buy and use the stuff you like.  MdC lasts forever even with heavier loading.  Might as well use what you like most instead of a not-quite-the-same soap clone.

75 2,320
 10-31-2016, 09:53 AM
  • joe j
  • South Florida
User Info
(10-31-2016, 09:17 AM)merkur man Wrote:
(10-31-2016, 07:35 AM)celestino Wrote: Joe, I have never quite smelled anything like MdC in any other soap, really, and I don't think you'll find it (personally, I don't like it, at all). Why are you looking since this is your favourite soap and they make it, so well? Why not just stock up on all three varieties.   Smile

Agreed.  Just buy and use the stuff you like.  MdC lasts forever even with heavier loading.  Might as well use what you like most instead of a not-quite-the-same soap clone.
I agree gents. just trying to find a local artisan. trying to save money on European shipments. I just had to laugh at myself. Save money indeed.
Thank you gents.

21 142
 10-31-2016, 09:57 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(10-31-2016, 09:53 AM)joe j Wrote:
(10-31-2016, 09:17 AM)merkur man Wrote:

I agree gents. just trying to find a local artisan. trying to save money on European shipments. I just had to laugh at myself. Save money indeed.
Thank you gents.

Wrong sport! Haha!

62 3,008
 10-31-2016, 10:19 AM
User Info
(10-31-2016, 06:23 AM)Gaidin23 Wrote: I think that Black Fern from LA Shaving Soap Co is pretty damn close. I also find the performance to be very good, and this is from someone who loves MdC. I think it's at least the equal of MdC, if not better. Good luck with the search!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I totally agree with this. Though nothing quite smells the same as MDC Fougere but LASSC Black Fern is very close. Performance and post shave is top notch.
Granted it doesn't last as long, but what does?! It's cheaper upfront but given the number of shaves you get from MDC, I dare to say it's probably cheaper.
If you really like it this much, either get a few straight from MDC and that will offset the shipping and post a wtb ad here and get a couple if possible

18 787
 10-31-2016, 11:45 AM
User Info
(10-31-2016, 09:57 AM)Nero Wrote:
(10-31-2016, 09:53 AM)joe j Wrote:
(10-31-2016, 09:17 AM)merkur man Wrote: Agreed.  Just buy and use the stuff you like.  MdC lasts forever even with heavier loading.  Might as well use what you like most instead of a not-quite-the-same soap clone.
Thank you gents.

Wrong sport! Haha!
Laughing1

75 2,320
 10-31-2016, 12:47 PM
User Info
On the advice of this thread,I have purchased the Black Fougere.  I am not a huge fan of Veggie soaps, but Ill give it a shot.

90 904
 10-31-2016, 02:07 PM
User Info
I you like the scent and don't get the dryness from MDC, it's a no brainer, really.

Get the MDC.

It might be expensiv, but cost pr. shave is cheaper than ANY artisan soap you can fine out there from the US.

I own both the MDC's and I bought backups of them in 2014. Remember I used one of them excluviely for when shaving at my job in the weekends - I think after circa 30 shaves with it, I had barely made a dent in the top ½ cm layer of the soap. And I overload all my soaps heavily.

Try that with ANY US made artisan soap, and you will see a BIG dent in the soap.

24 6,018
 10-31-2016, 02:57 PM
User Info
(10-31-2016, 02:07 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I you like the scent and don't get the dryness from MDC, it's a no brainer, really.

Get the MDC.

It might be expensiv, but cost pr. shave is cheaper than ANY artisan soap you can fine out there from the US.

I own both the MDC's and I bought backups of them in 2014. Remember I used one of them excluviely for when shaving at my job in the weekends - I think after circa 30 shaves with it, I had barely made a dent in the top ½ cm layer of the soap. And I overload all my soaps heavily.

Try that with ANY US made artisan soap, and you will see a BIG dent in the soap.

I like shave sticks. Can't do that with MDC

90 904
 10-31-2016, 03:08 PM
User Info
As mentioned above, LASSCo Black Fern is pretty darn close, plus better post shave face feel. I still use both, but I don't use MdC nearly as much as I did now that I have Black Fern.

Edit: I can send you a small sample of Black Fern if you want to give it a sniff. The performance is top, and you would never guess it's a Veggie soap!

7 330
 10-31-2016, 03:39 PM
User Info
(10-31-2016, 02:57 PM)chromedometone Wrote:
(10-31-2016, 02:07 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I you like the scent and don't get the dryness from MDC, it's a no brainer, really.

Get the MDC.

I like shave sticks.  Can't do that with MDC
I'd be willing to wager that you could grate up your MdC into a shave stick container.

39 3,950
 10-31-2016, 05:11 PM
User Info
(10-31-2016, 03:39 PM)primotenore Wrote:

Get the MDC.

I like shave sticks.  Can't do that with MDC
I'd be willing to wager that you could grate up your MdC into a shave stick container.
There isn't even a need to grate. I don't know why everyone seems to think it's a hard soap. It isn't. It's about the consistency of B&M. Maybe even softer. Press on it with your finger, goes right in. I split a jar of original with a friend, used a butter knife to split in half and scooped the rest out with a spoon. It isn't hard at all.

7 330
 10-31-2016, 05:31 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info

Get the MDC.

I like shave sticks. Can't do that with MDC

Sure you can. I have traveled many times with MdC either in a generic roll-up type container and also,in a recycled D.R. Harris tube. A pure coconut oil soap will lather in any kind of water so it's ideal for travel.

Cheers, Steve

7 540
 10-31-2016, 06:00 PM
User Info
(10-31-2016, 05:11 PM)vigilantesd Wrote:
(10-31-2016, 03:39 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(10-31-2016, 02:57 PM)chromedometone Wrote: I like shave sticks.  Can't do that with MDC
There isn't even a need to grate. I don't know why everyone seems to think it's a hard soap. It isn't. It's about the consistency of B&M. Maybe even softer. Press on it with your finger, goes right in. I split a jar of original with a friend, used a butter knife to split in half and scooped the rest out with a spoon. It isn't hard at all.

The 6 glass pots of MDC I have owned, still have two left from 2015, they are all ROCK HARD, like a DR Harris triple milled soap.

When I wanted to give a sample to a frriend, I had to dig it out with a teaspoon, and it wasn't even easy with a hard stainless steel tea spoon.

Either MDC has changed their formula since 2015 or you have a very soft edition of the MDC in your posession.

I reckon my MDC 200 gram glass pot will last me 250-300 shaves where I load the brush more than needed each time.

24 6,018
 10-31-2016, 06:08 PM
User Info
(10-31-2016, 06:00 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(10-31-2016, 05:11 PM)vigilantesd Wrote:
(10-31-2016, 03:39 PM)primotenore Wrote: I'd be willing to wager that you could grate up your MdC into a shave stick container.

The 6 glass pots of MDC I have owned, still have two left from 2015, they are all ROCK HARD, like a DR Harris triple milled soap.

When I wanted to give a sample to a frriend, I had to dig it out with a teaspoon, and it wasn't even easy with a hard stainless steel tea spoon.

Either MDC has changed their formula since 2015 or you have a very soft edition of the MDC in your posession.

I reckon my MDC 200 gram glass pot will last me 250-300 shaves where I load the brush more than needed each time.
I've got a glass jar of Fougere, and plastic of Original. They're both the same consistency. Maybe with age yours have hardened, but both of mine are malleable enough to shape.

Edit:

Here are pictures of a split of Fougere. This is half of a jar, untouched until I need it

http://imgur.com/sV6IyR8

And with a few fingerprints press into it. 

http://imgur.com/JXJ4KSx

It's at least soft enough to mold into a stick.

7 330
 10-31-2016, 06:10 PM
User Info
My brain bowl is hard too. It doesn't have a lid, but the two glass jars I have are also both very hard.

It's like a dry Parmesan cheese. I've cut pieces of the brain bowl before and it crumbles a little. Slices clean with a shavette like hard cheese. I could see it going into a shave stick easily though.

Mine is not as soft as B&M at all.

10 1,455