03-09-2012, 05:15 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
There are scores of Bay Rums on the market at virtually all price points. If you could only have one Bay Rum, what would it be and why?

My two finalists would be Meehan Bay Rhum which I absolutely love and Captains Choice Bay Rum. Both of these are made without Clove Oil which, to me, is a good thing. However, in the face-off between the two, I choose Meehan's for something as simple as the bottle. The Meehan's bottle is a thick glass bottle and the top is of higher quality to prevent any mishaps.

Which Bay Rum do you choose?

45 16,359
 03-09-2012, 05:58 PM
User Info
I am real simple. Superior70. Best scent even if fleeting

2 697
 03-09-2012, 06:15 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Bay Rhum figures in Flight 401, a very famous 'ghost story' made into a film with Ernest Borgnine and Kim Basinger.
It's an easy websearch and viewable online.
All I have to say is his brand must have been pretty good!
Gee, I have to restock my favourite, also Meehan's.
I love it not only for it's lovely balance. I was briefly a Bananna Slug at UCSC near their lavender farm. If you can crawl over the patchouli drenched earth mothers and armchair Che Guevaras this part of California
is home to some amazing people and their work.

2 3,171
 03-09-2012, 06:42 PM
User Info
[Image: 41K7ieyOOUL._SS500_.jpg]

I've never actually used it, but it's from nebraska so you know it's good.

4 309
 03-09-2012, 07:50 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I'm not a big fan of Bay Rum but the one I tried that I liked best was Captain's Choice. I apply a little on those extremely cold winter mornings, but that's about it.

173 23,553
 03-09-2012, 08:19 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Ditto that, Johnny. I'm in no way an expert on BR and certainly not a huge fan. Maybe because I've tried so many off putting, linear scents that make me run for cover? Of the few I have around, I'd say Ogallala is one of the better blends - it doesn't steal my breath away.

Uh oh, someting tells me I'm in store for an education. New RAD? Confused

(03-09-2012, 07:50 PM)Johnny Wrote: I'm not a big fan of Bay Rum but the one I tried that I liked best was Captain's Choice. I apply a little on those extremely cold winter mornings, but that's about it.

35 2,703
 03-09-2012, 08:49 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(03-09-2012, 07:50 PM)Johnny Wrote: I'm not a big fan of Bay Rum but the one I tried that I liked best was Captain's Choice. I apply a little on those extremely cold winter mornings, but that's about it.

I do like Captain's Choice. It is funny how people associate Bay Rum with cold winter mornings and yet, it is traditionally from the tropics of the Caribbean. Like you though, I prefer it during the cooler months.

My only complaint with Captain's Choice is the bottle or more accurately, the top.

45 16,359
 03-09-2012, 11:11 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Since starting the wetshaving journey, I have heard about BR over and over, but never run into the scent in real life.

10 1,858
 03-10-2012, 05:41 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(03-09-2012, 11:11 PM)Songwind Wrote: Since starting the wetshaving journey, I have heard about BR over and over, but never run into the scent in real life.

Once you do, you will never forget it.

173 23,553
 03-10-2012, 06:33 AM
User Info
I'm a big fan of Bay Rum. I like it, and, more importantly, my wife loves it. I've only tried Geo F. Trumper and Pinaud, so far. I do live in a very hot, humid area, but I'm good with it all year round. I think I like it because it tends to be a scent that doesn't overpower. Next on my list: Meehans! And, I know it is probably silly, but I also appreciate a nice glass bottle...

0 33
 03-10-2012, 11:16 PM
  • GMofmiami
  • Miami, Fl & Central America
User Info
I enjoy Bay Rum and use like they do in the Islands...to cool down and get refreshed...especially after a nice shave. I enjoy the simple bay rums...Superior 70 and Masters.

45 708
 03-10-2012, 11:34 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Glass bottles are not an affectation.Plastic has come into use because it wieghs less for shipping and is LESS, not imune to breakage and leaking. In terms of maintaining product integrity glass is superior to everything.In terms of recycling and appropriate technology the only major impact is water consumption; easilly balanced by 'grey water' reuse. If glass was recycled 100% the need for new raw materials would be half, while
discarded glas has minimal envireonmental impact VS the HUGE, island sized plastic middens reported on the oceans. Plastic is now the #2 component found in ocean waters along with salt.
SAVE THE PLANET! BUY A GLASS BOTTLED AFTERSHAVE!

2 3,171
 03-11-2012, 07:08 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(03-10-2012, 11:34 PM)kav Wrote: SAVE THE PLANET! BUY A GLASS BOTTLED AFTERSHAVE!

That should be our motto! I prefer glass for so many reasons. The only real drawback is shipping weight.

45 16,359
 03-11-2012, 12:45 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(03-10-2012, 11:34 PM)kav Wrote: SAVE THE PLANET! BUY A GLASS BOTTLED AFTERSHAVE!
I'm on board with this for sure. Heck, once I started using decent prep and good lather my cartridge shaves got a lot better. Environmental impact was one of the reasons I went ahead and picked up a DE anyway.

10 1,858
 03-11-2012, 01:10 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(03-11-2012, 07:08 AM)bullgoose Wrote:

That should be our motto! I prefer glass for so many reasons. The only real drawback is shipping weight.

+1 on that. I think glass keeps the integrity of the aftershave, cologne, or eau de toilette. For some reason, I always believe that plastic is having an unwanted reaction with the product, which is another reason to prefer glass, on top of all of the important environmental reasons. When I was a child many things that now come in plastic came in glass. Aftershaves, obviously, but also shampoos, deodorants, alcohol, and witch hazel to name some. Glass has another advantage, home recycling. Most glass containers can be cleaned completely of many scents and reused for other purposes. Plastic almost always holds on to the original scent, even after heavy cleaning, thus limiting its use for something else. That goes back to my original thought of the unwanted interaction between plastic and product.

2 11,211
 03-11-2012, 01:29 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Plastic will offgas chemicals, oxidise and with greater molecular porosity pick up environmental goodies and baddies and react in various ways ( think acidic drinks in aluminum containers.)
I worked in a home improvement store. Guy comes in to buy MORE 50 gallon trashcans for his survivalist food supply. He really liked our 'tactical black' ones. I had to explain black was an industry code for plastic treated with PESTICIDES.

2 3,171
 03-11-2012, 02:13 PM
User Info
The only two Bay Rums I have used are Captain's Choice and Ogallala Limes & Peppercorns. I really enjoy both although I would say they both have very individualistic scents. Of the two, I would say the Captain's Choice is my favorite but I wouldn't want to be without either.

In regards to glass containers, glass tends to be better at preserving the integrity of the product inside whereas plastics absorb components of the product over time. This is especially true regarding scents and flavors. Sodas always taste better from glass bottles and colognes/aftershaves always seem richer.

0 123
 03-13-2012, 08:49 AM
User Info
I started out on Dominica, from C.A. Trading. Then I tried Captain's Choice. The last bottle was Ogallalla Limes & Peppercorns. Ogallalla is probably my least favorite smell, but conditions the skin well. The lime of it smells like artificial candy lime. Captain's Choice is probably the most balanced, warm, and subtle. I wish it had a dribble insert to make using it a bit easier. I revisited Dominica, and found I like it better than I used to. My first impressions of it were that I smelled like a very well groomed carrot cake. It does feel great on the skin, though.

Price not withstanding, Captain's Choice is probably the top choice so far. It isn't a scent that I find myself using often, though. I won't buy another bottle (of any brand) until these are gone.

3 195
 03-13-2012, 09:13 AM
User Info
Krampert's Finest... I'll have to copy my review over here from another forum. Look for it in just a bit.

31 7,914
 03-13-2012, 10:28 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Save the inserts from empty bottles. I've discovered they are almost universal and fit others well.

2 3,171