11-07-2016, 06:51 AM
User Info
Okay, who makes these knots....

I'm beginning to show an interest after I saw my fathers smile, when he took a glance at these brushes on the SV site.

Do we know where the source for the knots are and who ties them for SV ?

Can I get an opinion or three on the balance of the brush, with the heavy metal pewter ring, please ?

Does the pewter ring rub against your fingers, when you face lather with the brush (I have rather large hands, so I often hold the brush on the top part of the handle, so my fingers would pretty surely get into contact with that pewter ring, when I used it for face lathering, my father also have large hands)

24 5,762
 11-07-2016, 06:59 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Thank you very much, Gentlemen! 

Claus, while I equally enjoy both of these brushes they do have a slight balance difference. I personally prefer the tactile feel and the balance of the cocobolo. The faux ivory handle is a bit "fatter" that makes the brush slightly heavier and shifts the balance towards the base. Between the two the cocobolo brush gives me better face-lathering experience, but when I bowl lather they are both just awesome. Excellent flow-through capacity to hold lather. Very soft tips and and great backbone. And they both look royal Smile  I will be pretty much surprised if your dad will not be smitten with your present. Here is a couple more pic of the cocobolo brush.

[Image: xUAqRy8.jpg]
[Image: EgP9RdG.jpg]

111 1,393
 11-07-2016, 07:01 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
the pewter ring does not produce any negative sensation while lathering (face or bowl)

111 1,393
 11-07-2016, 07:03 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
if i recall correctly, when asked the question about the origin of the knots, Ale kindly responded that he would like to keep it confidential

111 1,393
 11-07-2016, 07:55 AM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
I don't face lather so I can't say for sure but based on what characteristics I see people mention that they want in a face lathering brush this one seems to check every box. I use it for bowl lathering and it preforms awesome and feels nice in the hand. I would argue that the pewter ring is negligible when lathering period, and I don't feel like it makes the brush all that more heavy than any other brush of the same knot size. I have I would say I have medium sized hands and I don't come in contact with the ring with my fingers even when I am holding the brush in a way that my fingers are resting on the larger part of the wood near the ring. I of course could holding the brush in a way I could rest my fingers on the ring if I wanted to and I think it would perform fine and even be somewhat grippy if my fingers were wet. As far as the balance, when I use the brush I haven't really noticed feeling that the brush felt unbalanced or anything. If you are asking about a balance point like on a razor I would probably say it's around the top of the wood bottom of the ring about where they meet. 

I still stand by a previous statement I made in this thread; I feel like you get a lot of brush for the money

6 263
 11-07-2016, 01:26 PM
User Info
Thanks Gents, 

Perhaps I will buy one for my father for his Birthday, but I think I'm more likely to look towards a custom made Shavemac or a Thäter 28 mm 2-band bulb for him.

I really like the look a wooden handle gives me, and I have owned several beautiful wooden handles, but unless I'm sure of the origin of the wood and know it has been treated to withstand water, I'm liable to avoid it in both my razor handles and my brush handles as a material.

I see SV also makes a great looking faux horn and Tortoise, those look fantastic too.

Thanks for sharing your opinions, I truly appreciate it.
They do look like fantasticly well made brushes, just wish I knew who made the knots.

I'm a nerd, when it comes to this regarding badger hair brushes (not so with cheap synthetics, I know they are from China and cheaply made anwyay)...........I'm inclined to avoid a certain badger brush from a brand, if they are hiding the real manufacturer for me. I know they have their reasons and I perfectly understand that, but then I just do my business else where.

24 5,762
 11-07-2016, 01:29 PM
User Info
(11-01-2016, 07:15 AM)blzrfn Wrote:
(11-01-2016, 12:40 AM)rawfox1 Wrote: How does the SV brush compare with other high end brushes as far as softness of the tips and backbone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

It is a premium brush by any standard, I dislike saying it is like any other brush due to batch consistency which may give the wrong impression.  If you enjoy firm, resilient backbone and luxuriously soft tips then you will like these knots.  The handle is a bit heavier than usual due to the pewter ring, but it doesn't bother me at all.

My faux tortoise with gold pewter crown:

[Image: 0YSk4SM.jpg][Image: 0If3vTO.jpg]

(11-06-2016, 08:44 AM)JRRIII Wrote: Here's the brush now that it's starting to bloom; it's breaking in so nice I am contemplating buying another one

[Image: 0B12DADF-5B5E-4ACF-B934-3D6BAADC507A.jpg]

(11-07-2016, 06:59 AM)ARGH Wrote: Thank you very much, Gentlemen! 

Claus, while I equally enjoy both of these brushes they do have a slight balance difference. I personally prefer the tactile feel and the balance of the cocobolo. The faux ivory handle is a bit "fatter" that makes the brush slightly heavier and shifts the balance towards the base. Between the two the cocobolo brush gives me better face-lathering experience, but when I bowl lather they are both just awesome. Excellent flow-through capacity to hold lather. Very soft tips and and great backbone. And they both look royal Smile  I will be pretty much surprised if your dad will not be smitten with your present. Here is a couple more pic of the cocobolo brush.

[Image: xUAqRy8.jpg]
[Image: EgP9RdG.jpg]

Gentlemen, all your photos of your SV badger brushes just look so amazing, it's a joy to watch this thread, whether I buy a couple of them or not.

Thanks to all, for spending your valuable time to take these great photos  Clap

24 5,762
 11-08-2016, 12:25 AM
  • DYD
  • Soap Manufacturer
  • Italy - Varese
User Info
(11-07-2016, 06:51 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Do we know where the source for the knots are and who ties them for SV ?

As written on our product description:
The country of origin of the badger hairs is Manchuria 
The handle is the result of 3 different Italian artisans’ work.
The crown ring is realized through pure pewter fusion.
Brushed assembled in Italy

0 121
 11-08-2016, 06:01 AM
User Info
(11-08-2016, 12:25 AM)DYD Wrote:
(11-07-2016, 06:51 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Do we know where the source for the knots are and who ties them for SV ?

As written on our product description:
The country of origin of the badger hairs is Manchuria 
The handle is the result of 3 different Italian artisans’ work.
The crown ring is realized through pure pewter fusion.
Brushed assembled in Italy

I have read that, and still ask the same question, since it remains unanswered:

Who ties the knots ?

Is it done in house or by a certified brush maker or ?

24 5,762
 11-10-2016, 07:58 AM
  • DYD
  • Soap Manufacturer
  • Italy - Varese
User Info
(11-08-2016, 06:01 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(11-08-2016, 12:25 AM)DYD Wrote: I have read that, and still ask the same question, since it remains unanswered:

Who ties the knots ?

Given that the names of all suppliers are sealed, as they represent one of the company's assets, I can say that:
We provide to assemble the brushes.
The knots are tied by a company whose job is precisely that.
For confidentiality I can not indicate the geographical area where this occurs because a user like you would know right away who the author ... .. and the author may not want you to know that.

0 121
 11-10-2016, 08:05 AM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
That being said let's get back to some pictures Badger

[Image: 4BB5A10C-2BF2-4E30-B083-A9E854445098.jpg]

6 263
 11-10-2016, 08:14 AM
User Info
(11-10-2016, 07:58 AM)DYD Wrote:
(11-08-2016, 06:01 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(11-08-2016, 12:25 AM)DYD Wrote: I have read that, and still ask the same question, since it remains unanswered:

Who ties the knots ?

Given that the names of all suppliers are sealed, as they represent one of the company's assets, I can say that:
For confidentiality I can not indicate the geographical area where this occurs because a user like you would know right away who the author ... .. and the author may not want you to know that.

Interestring   Angel

Thanks for your reply.

24 5,762
 11-10-2016, 09:23 AM
  • Nero
  • Saving Through Spending More
  • le montagne
User Info
(11-10-2016, 07:58 AM)DYD Wrote: Given that the names of all suppliers are sealed, as they represent one of the company's assets, I can say that:

This is a good thing.

55 2,486
 11-11-2016, 07:53 AM
User Info
These are very lovely looking knots.  They are the closest thing I have seen to looking like Rooney Finest in an awfully long time (long, yellowy-white tips that terminate naturally). Anyone out there that has experience with both that could compare and contrast the two for me?

73 2,196
 11-11-2016, 08:23 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(11-11-2016, 07:53 AM)merkur man Wrote: These are very lovely looking knots.  They are the closest thing I have seen to looking like Rooney Finest in an awfully long time (long, yellowy-white tips that terminate naturally). Anyone out there that has experience with both that could compare and contrast the two for me?

Gladly Nathan, while the backbone of the SV brush is easily on par with the Rooney Finest, the tips on the SV are much, much softer.  I appreciate the scrubby and sometimes slighly scritchy nature of the Rooney Finest, I prefer silky smooth tips up to gel tips on my brushes.

138 2,643
 11-11-2016, 08:45 AM
User Info
(11-11-2016, 08:23 AM)blzrfn Wrote:
(11-11-2016, 07:53 AM)merkur man Wrote: These are very lovely looking knots.  They are the closest thing I have seen to looking like Rooney Finest in an awfully long time (long, yellowy-white tips that terminate naturally). Anyone out there that has experience with both that could compare and contrast the two for me?

Gladly Nathan, while the backbone of the SV brush is easily on par with the Rooney Finest, the tips on the SV are much, much softer.  I appreciate the scrubby and sometimes slighly scritchy nature of the Rooney Finest, I prefer silky smooth tips up to gel tips on my brushes.

Thanks for the description Dave!   Lovely knots indeed.

73 2,196
 12-02-2016, 09:51 AM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
Just noticed that the new SV 30mm is available 

http://www.saponificiovaresino.com/svsto...-in-bocote

[Image: Cocobolo-36mm-BigBrush-570x708.jpg]

6 263
 12-02-2016, 05:12 PM
User Info
I picked one up, couldn't pass this by, these knots are the most underrated ones in all of shavedom IMO.

3 248
 12-02-2016, 05:49 PM
User Info
[Image: zCaBINx.jpg]

I have to say that this is one of my very favorite brushes.

I didn't use it for months, because it was so beautiful to look at, but once I did, I instantly went into the rotation. Almost as dense as the Simpson Chubby Manchurian, but softer. As soft as the Thäters, but with just enough backbone. I would put this knot on a par with Lee's M&Fs and Paladins. 

Claus, I didn't find that the metal ring affected the balance. Like you, I face lather almost exclusively, and even though it looks very heavy, it feels very 'solid' and the heft seems just right to me.

To be honest, I ordered this thinking it would be a great 'display' brush. But once I started using it, I am very impressed indeed.

23 579
 12-02-2016, 06:06 PM
User Info
[Image: qZYZLZq.jpg]

Plus, it's just beautiful.

23 579