11-02-2016, 09:15 AM
User Info
I am interested in having a custom Pen created from some stabilized beech wood from my parents property in Kentucky.

However, I am unable to find any size information online between the full size Pens like a Statesman or Majestic as they compare to a smaller pen style like  Statesman Jr.

Of particular interest would be the diameter of the nib housing where you hold the pen so I can compare it to to the grips of normal pens that I have.  

Also, is there a huge difference in the weights of them when finished?

All other information related to the length of the overall pen appears to already be online as
Jr Statesman - Pen Size: 1/2" x 4 3/4"
Statesman - Pen measures 11/16" x 5 3/4" long

I found below photos of size comparisons to help a little, but since I dont have the resources to visit a shop that sells a variety of different styles I cant get one in my hand to see which is more comfortable to grip

-Top is a Baron
-Middle is a Jr. Statesman
-Bottom is a Statesman

[Image: IJ9TYRL.jpg]
[Image: mEQ7dyl.jpg]

46 461
 11-02-2016, 06:55 PM
User Info
The reason you are having trouble finding information about the relative sizes of standardized nib units is that standardized nib units - units that would then be interchangeable among different makes and models of fountain pens - don't really exist.

Nib tip sizes, which then control the fineness or thickness of the writing line, are relatively standardized (although Japanese nibs, for example, generally run about one size finer than European or American ones). Thus if you specify a Fine or Medium nib, you know approximately how it will write. However the design of the nib itself varies from maker to maker and even model to model -- and that include the overall diameter or girth and weight.

I think what you would have to do is contact your preferred maker and ask him for details about the units he uses.

1 29
 11-03-2016, 12:37 AM
User Info
thanks for the info! That explains everything!!!

46 461
 04-22-2017, 04:22 AM
  • Rufus
  • Senior Member
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Those are kit pens.  If you want a truly custom pen you should contact Chris at AppleMan Pen Creations; just Google and you'll find his site.  When you refer to "nib housing" I think you mean "section", which is where the pen is gripped.

9 1,204
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)