11-02-2016, 05:18 PM
User Info
My lineup has increased lately. Went from a parker travel 4 piece razor to adding 3 more razors. That's 3 new in a 2 month span. 

My most recent and possibly favourite razor is the merkur futur. I really like the audible feedback and how easy it is to find the correct angle. My neck has been irritated for weeks though ever since I started de shaving from straight razors. I can't seem to figure out why? Razor burn and bumps plague my de shaves. I will give my skin a few days rest and go from there. 

Anyways back on topic. I love my futur! Any tips for cleaning it? Right now I disassemble the top cap and dry  the blade area after every shave. What about when it really needs a good cleaning? 

I have it set at 2.5 for now. 

Is this zamack? If so it doesn't matter because the plating is immaculate so I don't see deterioration being an issue. I wish merkur blades matched their razors. Got my eyes on a HD gold plated and a mergress. Hmm maybe if I sell the ATT.... Just maybe. 

Thoughts/comments and words of wisdom appreciated. 

Scott

0 89
 11-02-2016, 06:07 PM
User Info
With the blade out and the cap off, squeeze the part where the the blade sits down towards the handle and start twisting the handle open like you're adjusting it more open. Hold the base down tightly. When you get to the end where it normally stops adjusting turn it more.

The rest of the head will twist off of the handle.

Pay attention to what part goes where.

Clean it well.

Put it back together. This is tougher. You have to hold it together tightly and turn the handle until the threads catch. Makes my fingers tired.

There's a video on YouTube somewhere shows how to do it.

Yes - it's zamak.

10 1,455
 11-02-2016, 08:08 PM
User Info
Here is a video to assist with the disassembly and the cleaning.
Good luck. Just add the www. to the front of the information, below, to watch the video.

youtube.com/watch?v=E4aDqsPqJr4

83 21,110
 01-18-2017, 06:23 PM
User Info
I rinse under hot water when done shaving the use the edge of a towel to wipe and get in the area by the spring and post. Then blow top of the razor to get any water I missed with the two. I then turn it upside down, head down and leave that way to air dry. I have not had to take my Futur apart in 3 years doing this. Every 3 to 6 months I put a drop of sewing machine oil on the spring area and handle opening. Works great.

6 166
 01-21-2017, 08:09 AM
User Info
(11-02-2016, 05:18 PM)Stainless Wrote: I just do the same as you: " Right now I disassemble the top cap and dry  the blade area after every shave"

What about when it really needs a good cleaning? 

Once in a month I disassemble the razor, clean the spring and punt some oil to avoid rusting.

Be careful with the Futur and let the razor do all the job. It will reward you with amazingly smooth and close shaves.

Miguel

0 16
 01-21-2017, 11:00 AM
User Info
Futur is a great razor.  It is loud when shaving, I really like mine.

0 204