11-03-2016, 08:08 AM
User Info
[Just posted on our website]

We recently received a query via the contact form on this site with regard the upcoming release and our policy on multiple brush purchases. I recognized the name and email address as matching to an individual who has been re-selling Paladin shaving brushes on eBay at prices considerably higher than those we ask. My reply is pasted in below.

We do not have a policy to limit purchases on our website to one brush; however, we regard with disfavor buyers who have taken advantage of our limited production by racing to purchase brushes from releases with an intent to re-offer them on eBay or elsewhere at large mark-ups. We believe in free-markets, but that's entirely beside my point.

We have maintained pricing at the same levels since last year, not because we're already living high-on-the-hog and don't care about improving returns on the time and money we put into making Paladin shaving brushes, but rather out of consideration for hopeful customers who have been waiting a long time to buy one. 

It might look good for us when brushes we've made are being re-sold at very high prices, but it's not in keeping with our purpose and mission. In the future, if we identify transactions made by individuals who have been scalping at the expense of wet-shavers who want a Paladin shaving brush for personal use, we may cancel those transactions and issue refunds. I have discussed this with PayPal and confirmed its support.

I hope you will understand and respect our point of view in this.

https://www.paladinshaving.com/blogs/new...o-scalping

3 997
 11-03-2016, 08:18 AM
User Info
I support this. I do not fancy scalpers.

31 737
 11-03-2016, 08:29 AM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
+1....well said!

128 562
 11-03-2016, 08:34 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
HIP HIP HORAAAAYYY!!!

22 828
 11-03-2016, 08:34 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Thank you for making the effort to address this Ken. It really has gotten out of hand with Paladin along with some other brands. The obvious greed is despicable

34 1,628
 11-03-2016, 08:38 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Bravo -

44 476
 11-03-2016, 08:41 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
Bravo!

60 843
 11-03-2016, 08:43 AM
User Info
Awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 403
 11-03-2016, 08:48 AM
User Info
(11-03-2016, 08:34 AM)Giorgio Wrote: Thank you for making the effort to address this Ken. It really has gotten out of hand with Paladin along with some other brands. The obvious greed is despicable

There is a line, although I'm not sure where or how best to draw it. I really don't have any issue with someone buying and trying a brush, then deciding to trade for something else in an arms-length transaction that reflects value based on scarcity. Is that different than selling the brush for 2X or more its original price and then buying some other coveted brush or razor? Or what if the guy who swapped his grail razor for the brush then sells the brush for what the razor was worth? This is what happens to a brain in law school. That was over 35 years ago, but you never fully recover.

My present focus is on habitual re-sellers who scalp on eBay.

3 997
 11-03-2016, 08:50 AM
User Info
Well done Ken.  We should all work together to identify these people, expose them, and do anything possible to disrupt their unscrupulous practices.

50 6,106
 11-03-2016, 09:25 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(11-03-2016, 08:48 AM)Paladin Shaving Wrote:
(11-03-2016, 08:34 AM)Giorgio Wrote: Thank you for making the effort to address this Ken. It really has gotten out of hand with Paladin along with some other brands. The obvious greed is despicable

There is a line, although I'm not sure where or how best to draw it. I really don't have any issue with someone buying and trying a brush, then deciding to trade for something else in an arms-length transaction that reflects value based on scarcity. Is that different than selling the brush for 2X or more its original price and then buying some other coveted brush or razor? Of what if the guy who swapped his grail razor for the brush then sells the brush for what the razor was worth? This is what happens to a brain in law school. That was over 35 years ago, but you never fully recover.

My present focus is on habitual re-sellers who scalp on eBay.

I think you are taking the best approach focusing in the habitual resellers. The true answer lies in intent, something nearly impossible to establish in our digital world -- how to differentiate between someone in the examples you listed vs someone doing it out of greed. This is "one" of my specializations at work...digital intelligence...trying to figure out people's behavior and intent in the digital world. And with all the big data and advanced modeling tools and software I put to work, we're still not there.

You are clearly making the best decision with the data you have by shutting down the obvious, and I commend you for at least making the effort. This hurts us probably more than it hurts you, and you are certainly going above and beyond your responsibility as an artisan. This speaks highly to your ethics and why you are respected so much.

34 1,628
 11-03-2016, 09:55 AM
User Info
(11-03-2016, 08:50 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Well done Ken.  We should all work together to identify these people, expose them, and do anything possible to disrupt their unscrupulous practices.

It's at least a stab at the issue.

Cooperating to share public information sounds good. But there's some risk of mistaking rumor for reliable information. Disclosing, or even appearing to disclose, information the possession of which is subject to website Terms of Use and/or Privacy Policies is dicey. And non-specific sharing of identity-related information invites speculation that can lead to false judgment and damage to reputation.

Point is there needs to be a fair amount of circumspection brought to bear on the subject. 

That said, if someone confidently pieces together, based on non-confidential information, the identity (by email address or otherwise) of an eBay seller dealing in scalped shaving gear, it could be useful to know.

3 997
 11-03-2016, 10:04 AM
User Info
Fantastic news!  Thanks

192 1,588
 11-03-2016, 10:10 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Fantastic!  I wholly support your decision Ken.  Well done.  Clap

47 1,924
 11-03-2016, 11:26 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
This is very good news.  I missed out on the last few releases (had a brush in my cart, went to check out and it was gone before I could pay… happened 5x in a row).  It was frustrating to see folks with multiple brushes, as well as those on Ebay.

Eric

48 976
 11-03-2016, 11:44 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
This is awesome news!!!!!!  Thumbup

Thank you Ken for taking a step forward.

75 1,322
 11-03-2016, 12:14 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
Thank you Ken

51 437
 11-03-2016, 12:50 PM
User Info
Thank you for taking a pro-active approach to addressing this ever frustrating issue. It is WAAY above and beyond customer service, and I applaud you for this. It speaks volumes about you and your business ethic.

Bravo!!!

7 328
 11-03-2016, 02:56 PM
  • Devilanche
  • Singapore (CONUS post address)
User Info
Great decision,less brushes (or no brushes) for the scalpers.More brushes for those of us who is fast enough.

10 376
 11-03-2016, 03:22 PM
User Info