11-04-2016, 03:20 AM
User Info
Hello all - thought  would share a collection of alternative bowls that serve me very well. 

I live in asia and the opportunity for a 'branded' or 'shaving specific' bowl has never presented itself economically. I have ogled the scuttles; the stainless and the handled versions but shipping and customs defeats this every time. 
As a result i have made do with what i can find - one from a Japanese friend and the others from markets or supermarkets. All are for for food items and none of them have cost over the equivalent of a few usd. Good value. 

Ceramic bowl with fish decorations - nice open shape and the side grooves actually translate into the internal face of the bowl, great lather catalyst. Bought at a ceramics market. 
[Image: dqjAM6Q.jpg]

Second one is a black ceramic bowl - more of a look-alike shaving bowl without the handle. This has all the typical grooves and swirls needed for great lathering. Only downside - the top edge of the bowl could be a fraction wider for the 28mm brushes. i have never felt i needed the handle but i think if i glued a handle on it - it would pass for any of the shaving bowls costing significantly more. 

[Image: HryRC1Z.jpg]

This one is a japanese suribachi bowl - also ceramic. I have seen lots of use of this type by our fellow members. The ridges are sharp and used for grinding, concept akin to a mortar and pestle; except the pestle would be a type of wood that would add to the scents and flavours of that being ground. This was a gift from my wife's friend who is japanese - when she found out i was looking for one, she gifted it to me as they are widely available in japan and she travels to family often. The size is great for holding and the lather is quick and easy. 

[Image: xJJxlpf.jpg]

Next are a couple of stainless bowls. Both similar size, just right for my hands and both have a super smooth interior face. Both lather well. 

First has the green outer layer - just a coating. I bought 3 of these for the equivalent of usd8 and they just had different colours. Hardy bowls that can take a ding. 
Second is plain stainless and feels lighter and thinner material (was even cheaper). Still sturdy enough to take a drop but has the ridges on the outside face which avoids slippery gripping of the bowl. reminds me of an old ice cream sundae pattern

[Image: 1gegHfA.jpg]

[Image: SIs1Qlq.jpg]

These little guys are great for brush soaking - little 'pots' also in ceramic bought at markets at various times. the three legged ones will not take a larger brush but they are also good for placing my razor down across the pot.  (straight razor). The larger blue 'cup' fits my biggest brushes. 

[Image: gGEL4On.jpg] 
[Image: m0CzKqZ.jpg]

Here is one of the 3 ceramics together - often i soak these in hot water while i'm loading and the heat is enough for some warmth on the first pass. the ceramic keeps the heat pretty well.
The fish is my current favorite but i rotate through these (and others) every day. 

[Image: kIcXIGT.jpg]

0 117
 11-04-2016, 03:23 AM
User Info
Superb.

33 760
 11-04-2016, 03:50 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
some very nice bowls, proof that you don't need a special shaving bowl. my favorite is a gold colored alum one, takes up heat from the water very easily.

27 1,389
 11-04-2016, 04:11 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Beautiful! The Fish Pattern is my favorite.

57 3,855
 11-04-2016, 08:35 AM
User Info
nice selection.  figuring on a new bowl for my brush only right now

62 1,109
 11-05-2016, 07:16 PM
User Info
Thanks all - keeps an element of fun trying the different bowls not seen as traditional

0 117
 11-05-2016, 08:57 PM
User Info
Very nice indeed.  You could probably make a nice business exporting these to the US.

My only shaving bowl is a repurposed $2 black soup bowl from Big Lots, but an upgrade to one of these would be a nice change.

I also like the fish pattern.

0 42
 11-06-2016, 12:54 AM
  • HMan
User Info
Nice bowls, and they certainly would pass as purpose made shaving bowls. I like the orange striped one best myself.

0 19
 11-06-2016, 10:58 AM
User Info
[Image: f6kVWrx.jpg]
Great choice in bowls. I picked up this rice bowl a few weeks back; works well and I can hold it from the base while whipping up a lather. The Ever Ready 162 next to it, is prior to re-knotting.

0 566
 11-06-2016, 11:58 AM
User Info
I also have a scuttle, but this is my main shaving bowl.  It was a "throwaway" from my wife's pottery class.  It sat in the garage for a couple years until I was looking for a bowl.  Found it, tried it, have never looked back.

[Image: 1PN0GiA.jpg]

1 178
 11-11-2016, 09:17 PM
  • ben74
  • ADMINISTRATOR EMERITUS
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
A wonderful selection of bowls that seem very well suited to lathering. 

I find re-purposed shallow bowls with a wide opening generally better than most purpose made scuttles.

My favourite from your collection is the fish bowl, what's yours?

BTW, my make shift bowl in the absence of anything else is my palm. 

(And I always bring it when travelling! Tongue)

97 17,984
 11-13-2016, 10:20 PM
User Info
Thank you for comments and reciprocal pics all - 

My current favourite is the fish bowl - nice size, ridges help in holding and i like the simple pattern. 

I travel frequently and if ever, just take one of the hardier, lightweight, stainless bowls. I often face lather and so travel is a good time to do this. 

i am about to go into the first cold winter in about 8 or 9 years - just a function of where I am living and working. As a result, i have been eyeing a full size scuttle for some warm lather.

0 117
 11-14-2016, 10:34 AM
User Info
PAA has a nice scuttle and Nickshaves gave a nice review.

0 566
 11-16-2016, 12:54 AM
User Info
thanks for the suggestion GreeneMD

0 117
 11-16-2016, 03:22 AM
User Info
I usually 'make do' with this when I'm out and about - it folds flat so it's perfect for my needs:

[Image: CLe9tlW.jpg]

3 3,864