11-06-2016, 07:06 AM
User Info
My go too razor has been an EJ 89, but I have also used my Merkur 39C slant with some frequency.

So today two new razors arrived in the mail - the Muhle R41 and the Parker 26C. I decided to start with the Ferrari - the R41.

Fit and finish are beautiful on this razor. It's lighter than I thought, but I have been using my DE89 with a custom stainless handle which makes it quite heavy. It's interesting to note that the blade exposure on the R41 is less than the DE89, but the gap is much larger than on the R41.

The blade of choice was my usual Personna Red - a new one. Prep was typical and lather was with the RR P160 soap and my soft boar brush. Hair growth was one day.

My first impression was that this razor is indeed aggressive but at the same time very rough. Playing with the angle helped. I think I may have been chopping vs slicing so I increased the blade angle which helped. Because my facial hair grows in such erratic patterns, it's difficult to do perfect passes WTG or ATG. There are some spots where I inevitably go XTG. These were the roughest. My DE89 can go over these relatively smoothly, so I was disappointed here.

Two passes, which is my typical shave, ended with about the same level if closeness as my EJ. Surprisingly, no irritation, no nicks, no weepers. At least that was good.

Tomorrow I will try the same prep but using an Astra SP. I will also pay more attention to the angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 44
 11-06-2016, 07:48 AM
User Info
The 2013 R41 was may daily driver. I did a 3 pass shave and never had problems. It's a great razor. Just make sure to not apply pressure and use good prep. I like using a shallow angle whereas others prefer a steep angle.

2 144
 11-06-2016, 08:02 AM
User Info
(11-06-2016, 07:48 AM)Spudnut Wrote: The 2013 R41 was may daily driver. I did a 3 pass shave and never had problems. It's a great razor. Just make sure to not apply pressure and use good prep. I like using a shallow angle whereas others prefer a steep angle.

Thanks for the tip. How do you define shallow vs steep? Is shallow closer to the razor being horizontal or vertical on skin?

0 44
 11-06-2016, 08:09 AM
User Info
(11-06-2016, 08:02 AM)olpski Wrote:
(11-06-2016, 07:48 AM)Spudnut Wrote: The 2013 R41 was may daily driver. I did a 3 pass shave and never had problems. It's a great razor. Just make sure to not apply pressure and use good prep. I like using a shallow angle whereas others prefer a steep angle.

Thanks for the tip.  How do you define shallow vs steep?  Is shallow closer to the razor being horizontal or vertical on skin?

Shallow - start with the razor cap against face and lower the handle just until you feel the blade.

Steep - start with the base plate against the face and raise the handle until you feel the blade.

With the R41 there is a lot of in between range.

2 144
 11-06-2016, 09:05 AM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info

I recently got a R41 and it has quickly become my daily; I also prefer the shallow angle with this razor.

I first tried the razor with a feather and thought it was a pretty rough shave and I didn't really enjoy it at all. While I am going to continuously try different blade options, I have found for myself that the personna lab blue blades give me the best all around shave out of the blades I have tried. Couple that with the shallow angle and since I found this sweet spot I haven't reached for any other razor lately. I think if you stick with it it has a good chance of becoming one of your favorites. 

I started a thread in the blade section about this razor and there is a lot of good suggestions in there:

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=44909

7 307
 11-07-2016, 03:09 AM
User Info
Second shave with the R41 and switched to an Astra SP blade. Much better. I did use a rather shallow angle like Spudnut mentioned. Very little to no pressure. I would say it's still not the smoothest shave. Certainly not smoother than my EJ89. Though it's more forgiving than I thought. No nicks. Two tiny weepers on the chin.

It's now evident that at least from my view, the angle makes a big difference. It does take a much steeper angle to avoid roughness, but it has a great range where it will cut.

0 44
 11-07-2016, 05:35 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
I pulled out my 2013 R41 yesterday. Loaded with a new Spoiler blade. I've used it two shaves and found it a bit rough both times. I suspect I'm using too steep and angle. I'll use it again tomorrow and try a shallower angle.

57 1,567
 11-07-2016, 08:02 AM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
Thanks for the update; Stick with it and I don't think you will regret it!

7 307
 11-07-2016, 08:24 AM
  • ddk13
  • Nebraska
User Info
I've found shallow to work best for me as well.  If you have any moles be careful.  With a shallow angle it doesn't take much to lop off a layer of skin.  I have two moles I have to be careful around.  When I get to them I steepen the angle (handle pointing toward the floor).

42 581
 11-07-2016, 08:54 AM
User Info
(11-07-2016, 08:24 AM)ddk13 Wrote: I've found shallow to work best for me as well.  If you have any moles be careful.  With a shallow angle it doesn't take much to lop off a layer of skin.  I have two moles I have to be careful around.  When I get to them I steepen the angle (handle pointing toward the floor).

I've been wondering what happened to my scars that were raised; smooth as can be now.   24

2 144
 11-07-2016, 10:20 PM
User Info
I agree with the rest of the prior posts.  The R41 from the first shave worked excellent for me.  I hope you continue to find the same enjoyment.  I only have Feathers, Personna Blue CC, and Derby Extras.  I have not tried the R41 with the Feathers because it works outstanding for me using the other 2.  I'll keep the Feathers for less aggressive razors.  I have not had any weepers using the R41 since I received it back in September and highly recommend it.  I think there is a lot more hype surrounding this razor aggressiveness and it scares some users away.  If you respect it and use good technique, I don't think there is anything to fear but BBS saves in 2 to 3 full passes.

0 444
 11-08-2016, 05:33 AM
User Info
Today was my third shave with the R41 and second with the same Astra SP. It was better than the second. Clearly for me is a steeper angle. Zero weepers and no irritation with a two pass shave.

I am still intrigued on how this razor works. On first glance, it has less blade exposure than my EJ89 but you can feel and hear the razor's feedback much more prominently. When you look closely, you can see the R41 has much more gap between the safety bar than the EJ89. That might be the key on it's aggressiveness.

I do find that the R41 does not 'squeegee' the lather like the EJ89 with the traditional solid bar. Not sure if that helps or not.

One more shave with the R41 and the same Astra SP blade tomorrow and then I will try my new Parker 26c.

0 44