08-08-2012, 05:58 AM
User Info
Hi everyone -

I received a sample of the new Musgo Real shave soap from Garry's Sample Shop, and used it for the first time this morning. Emanuel, in this post, showed the box and its ingredients, so I won't get too much into what is included (stearic acid, coconut oil, talc) and what is not (lanolin!), but I was a little disappointed in the ingredients list (and my understanding is that continental European soap-makers are moving away from tallow or animal-based products).

My sample arrived in shaved flakes, so I pressed them into a bowl, which eventually made a Frankenstein-puck (I used a leftover terracota bowl that Provence Sante comes in). This is my routine: (1) soak the puck; (2) fill water in sink with brush in it; (3) empty water from bowl with puck; (4) squeeze as much water from brush as possible; (5) build proto-lather; (6) face lather, dipping brush in water as I go. I find that this method works especially well with Mitchell's Wool Fat, and considering MR's initial reputation as a tempermental soap, I figured what goes with one tempermental product (MWF) would go with MR.

I found it fairly easy to build a good proto-lather with Musgo Real, certainly enough for a three-pass shave. What ended up being tricky was when I dipped the brush tips into the water to really get the soap to "explode" which always does the trick with MWF. Instead it got more soapy and runny and much more "sensitive" to water than MWF. However, enough lathering on the face got the soap back to a good lather.

The scent is definitely weaker than the cream version, but it is the same "grassy" scent, citrus and vetiver. I've always been a fan of the cream, but I don't like using tube-based creams, so I haven't used it as much as I'd have liked, so the soap is a nice compromise. The soap has the same grey/green appearance as the cream.

The shave itself was fine; there was certainly enough lather for three full passes. Similar with my experience with Proraso and similar soft soaps, the lather got better the more passes I did. I assume this is because it was getting drier. Tomorrow I will recalibrate water ratios and use even less water.

Post shave, my skin felt nice and moisturized (I use Pre de Provence balm as an ASB). The talc does a nice job both as a lubricant during the shave and to make my face feel nice and smooth afterward. It is very similar to Provence Sante (which also has talc). It would have been nice to have some lanolin content, but it is not a "deal-breaker."

Ultimately, this soap performs well, in that range of Provence Sant, Pre de Provence, and other veggie-based soaps. And I love the scent of Musgo Real, so I will keep a place for this soap in my rotation and am planning on buying a full size puck.

72 1,407
 08-08-2012, 06:44 AM
User Info
I'm glad that you had a positive experience! Smile
The new Musgo Real soap can be a little tricky sometimes. This soap is one of those that do not like too much water - that, and plenty of experimentation, can be the way to a good lather, perhaps.

2 5,532
 08-08-2012, 06:53 AM
User Info
My style definitely swings toward using less water, so maybe this and MWF are right up my alley.

72 1,407
 08-08-2012, 07:47 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thank you for taking the time to write this!
Its a soap that Im waiting to get my hands on it,and it seems it could be a little bit tricky to lather,but rewards with a good shave/post shave.
Im sad that its not like the old Musgo Real stick (right Oversaturn!) which is so easy to mae lather with and also has a strong Musgo Real scent.
Well,I will get one and compare.

86 7,123
 08-08-2012, 08:04 AM
User Info
Yep.. I have to say that the vintage Musgo Real stick is better than the new soap...

I really hope that they "fine tune" the new soap - a slight improvement in the lather stability would turn the new soap into something outstanding!

2 5,532
 08-08-2012, 08:38 AM
User Info
Thanks for the review. I am hoping to find a Musgo Real stick sometime soon to try first, before getting any of the newer products to compare.

184 12,003
 08-08-2012, 10:31 AM
User Info
Josh, thanks for the review and enjoy.

75 20,883
 08-10-2012, 07:27 PM
User Info
Just curious what others here think of this review: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread....-so-beware

Maybe just a classic example of YMMV??

1 94
 08-10-2012, 08:10 PM
User Info
(08-10-2012, 07:27 PM)dashmaverick Wrote: Just curious what others here think of this review: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread....-so-beware

Maybe just a classic example of YMMV??

Maybe just a classic example of someone using a preshave soap as a shaving soap. Always a good idea to read the label first.
What's next? Musgo Real body cream instead of shaving cream? Quite confusing for some people. Just read the label.

7 358
 08-11-2012, 04:13 AM
User Info
VerbaVolent - having read Gary/Brothers' contributions on Shave My Face, B&B (and I believe here), I highly doubt that he mistook the new shave soap for any of their pre-shave soaps, bath soaps, or other types. He had a bad experience with it and so its a classic example of "YMMV". I think Musgo Real and Ach. Brito have earned the outstanding reputation they have and any dedicated forum member will want to check the new soap for themselves. The number of "bad first impressions" are countless: personally I had a hard time first using MdC, and of course MWF might as well have been from Jupiter.

72 1,407
 08-11-2012, 05:58 AM
User Info
(08-11-2012, 04:13 AM)jpakstis Wrote: VerbaVolent - having read Gary/Brothers' contributions on Shave My Face, B&B (and I believe here), I highly doubt that he mistook the new shave soap for any of their pre-shave soaps, bath soaps, or other types. He had a bad experience with it and so its a classic example of "YMMV". I think Musgo Real and Ach. Brito have earned the outstanding reputation they have and any dedicated forum member will want to check the new soap for themselves. The number of "bad first impressions" are countless: personally I had a hard time first using MdC, and of course MWF might as well have been from Jupiter.

+1

Say what you will about Gary/Brothers, the guy has used a ton of soaps and creams. I highly doubt he confused a pre shave soap with a shave soap.

0 241
 08-11-2012, 06:26 AM
User Info
Mine was definitely the shave soap. Congratulations to the fellow who had a great lather and a great shave. I'm standing behind my original post. I was going to use the Harris Windsor soap this morning for the first time, but instead, I'm going to have another go 'round with the Musgo.

24 1,151
 08-11-2012, 06:44 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-11-2012, 06:26 AM)brothers Wrote: Mine was definitely the shave soap. Congratulations to the fellow who had a great lather and a great shave. I'm standing behind my original post. I was going to use the Harris Windsor soap this morning for the first time, but instead, I'm going to have another go 'round with the Musgo.

Go for the Windsor soap,my friend.

86 7,123
 08-13-2012, 07:02 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Let's hope there was a mistake at Ach. Brito and the first lot of Musgo Real shaving soap was actually their bath soap mislabeled as shaving soap...

43 1,690
 08-14-2012, 04:13 AM
User Info
I have just looked at the composition : Palm oil based soap which implies a very long time to load the brush (i.e. more than a minute) if one wants a decent lather and very uncomfortable post shave.
All palm oiled based soap I have used, have been deceiving then left apart from my rotation.
I will rather stick to the cream which is among the best shaving products I have used so far, now with interesting new scents.

0 42
 01-28-2015, 10:45 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Sorry to revive a necro thread but why start a new one. Just had a shave with this soap and got an entirely serviceable lather from it. I loaded it a bit longer than I normally do with a Simpsons Chubby 2 synthetic and face lathered. I used a Muhle R41 2013 version with a Feather blade on it's second shave. If it keeps performing like this initial test I will be happy with it. For now I can't see what the fuss is about. As always ymmv.

Bob

0 1,694
 03-31-2015, 09:08 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Just wanted to up date my previous post. I have used it many times since the first post and it has never failed to produce a nice thick slick creamy lather for me face lathering. Still can't see what the problem is with this soap.

Bob

0 1,694
 03-31-2015, 09:43 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(03-31-2015, 09:08 AM)BobH Wrote: Just wanted to up date my previous post. I have used it many times since the first post and it has never failed to produce a nice thick slick creamy lather for me face lathering. Still can't see what the problem is with this soap.

Bob

I have had a similarly positive experience with this soap. It produces a nice slick, creamy, stable lather for me. And it smells fantastic.

Andrew

43 1,690
 04-01-2015, 02:07 PM
User Info
Good! They must have either made a bad first batch, or reformulated to make it work. It did not work for me. I bought mine the moment it became available. Maybe I should try it agailn sometime in the future when I've totally run out of shaving soap and cream and need to buy more. :0 Just kidding. Maybe I'll get another puck soon! It does smell very good. The Musgo cream is one of the best. 

24 1,151
 04-01-2015, 07:33 PM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
Since this thread has been re-opened, I bought my first puck of MR about 6 months ago, and I love it. Great scent, and lathers really well. I don't know if it has been changed since this thread started, but when I'm done with this puck, I'll be buying another!

0 270