11-07-2016, 12:43 PM
User Info
Over the years I have tried a fair number of aftershaves most of them higher end, and in my opinion a number of them are classics in the realm of aftershaves.  Here is my list of aftershaves that in my opinion are classics.  My criteria for naming Classics were a scent I enjoy, and performance that is excellent, spectacular, even unparalleled.  You'll notice I leave out Old Spice, Brut etc. simply because I don't care for the scents not because the perform poorly.

Penhaligon's (any scent really with English Fern, Blenheim Bouquet, and Bayolea being my favorites)
Floid Blue
Acqua di Parma balm
Art of Shaving balm
Santa Maria Novella (any of their many wonderful scents and their Emulsion is spectacular also)
Myrsol Agua Balsamica

What are your classics?

75 2,320
 11-07-2016, 12:59 PM
  • HMan
User Info
Nice to know that some less expensive aftershaves can rank up there with the high price stuff.

Floid Blue is one I can't get enough of, too bad it's out of production.

0 22
 11-07-2016, 04:17 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I love the ones that you've listed, and they are all in my rotation. I'm hoping Floid Blue will return before I use up my supply. Over the past year my favorite balm has been Sapone Di Paolo as it leaves my skin feeling better than any other balm that I've tried.

38 5,199
 11-07-2016, 06:09 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Nathan I agree with nearly all your choices, with slight modifications:

Penhaligons - any - but the discontinued English Fern is the tops for me
Floid (though I prefer Vigoroso to Blue)
ADP Colonia both lotion and balm
Any SMN 
MYRSOL but I prefer F/Extra to Agua Balsamica

I'll add 

Czech and Speake aftershaves - 88 and O&C.  Both very high quality and surprisingly soothing.
Speick original (not the sport)
Dominica Bay Rum

169 1,424
 11-08-2016, 04:03 AM
User Info
Old Spice - I like the current production and use it very frequently
St Johns Bay Rum - This is simply the finest Bay Rum on the planet imho
Myrsol F/Extra - excellent scent, my fav of the myrsol line
Pens - really all of them, but recently I've taken quite a liking to the bayolea splash

0 57
 11-08-2016, 05:35 AM
User Info
(11-07-2016, 06:09 PM)Steelman Wrote: Nathan I agree with nearly all your choices, with slight modifications:

Penhaligons - any - but the discontinued English Fern is the tops for me
Floid (though I prefer Vigoroso to Blue)
ADP Colonia both lotion and balm
Any SMN 
MYRSOL but I prefer F/Extra to Agua Balsamica

I'll add 

Czech and Speake aftershaves - 88 and O&C.  Both very high quality and surprisingly soothing.
Speick original (not the sport)
Dominica Bay Rum

Yes, I completely forgot about the Czech & Speake aftershaves, they are absolutely excellent.

75 2,320
 11-08-2016, 05:36 AM
User Info
(11-08-2016, 04:03 AM)Virtualsmitty Wrote: Old Spice - I like the current production and use it very frequently
St Johns Bay Rum - This is simply the finest Bay Rum on the planet imho
Myrsol F/Extra - excellent scent, my fav of the myrsol line
Pens - really all of them, but recently I've taken quite a liking to the bayolea splash

I'm going to have to try out Myrsol F/Extra one of these days.
I agree with you on Bayolea, very great scent with that perfect feel of all Penhaligon's splashes.

75 2,320
 11-08-2016, 06:17 AM
User Info
Great topic !

I honestly use after shave splash just for the fun of it - not becase I care that much about the scent really.
The After shave balm is the thing, now together with Thayers Witch Hazel, that cares for my skin after the shave, not so much the splash, which really is just for freshen up and for the fun of smelling the old classic scents for a moment or two.

It's gone in 1 hour anyway, for most after shaves and I always apply my fragrance du jour after the shave, so don't need a long lasting after shave.

With that said this is the after shave splashes I own, and I consider them all classics or classics in the making:

Floid Blue
Floid Suave
Floid Vigoroso

Proraso Green
Proraso Red

Pitralon Classic
Pitralon Swiss
Pitralon Original
Pitralon Polar

Myrsol - own the entire line, and all are classics

DR Harris Pink
DR Harris Sandalwood

Speick
Speick Active

I own 8 Penhaligon EDT's, and they are part of my fragrance collection.
I would not want to buy them in the after shaves, as I would much prefer to use them as EDT's, thus as my fragrance du jour.
Same with Santa Maria Novella, Acqua di Parma and many many other brands. I own 11 Acqua di Parma fragrances, but would never consider buying them as after shaves, because I just will apply Speick or something similar, and then apply the ADP fragrance 30 minnutes later. No clashing of scents will happen.

I see the whole pairing thing, but to me it seems more fun, than actual something beneficial.
I have yet to try a better after shave than Speick splash, and the scent of that is gone in 15-20 minutes.
Since I'm a liberal oversprayer of my fragrances, I just apply the fragrance in ample amounts all over the body a and neck area, and all you smells is my fragrance, since I often use 8-12 sprays, unless I'm wearing a really strong fragrance like Nasamatto Duro, Amouage Interlude Man and the like, in which case I use 3-4 sprays max and still will smell for 16+ hours.

24 6,019
 11-08-2016, 01:38 PM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
I am still trying to figure out what my classics are; but for now the only one I have is Myrsol F/Extra

8 516
 11-08-2016, 02:18 PM
User Info
Avon Island Lime
Pinaud Lime Musk
Aqua Velva Musk
Old Spice
Florida Water
And various combinations

Yes I'm very low brow Aaaaa

0 596
 11-08-2016, 03:00 PM
User Info
A few of my "Classics"

Vintage Old Spice

Old Spice Burley
Old Spice Leather
Old Spice Lime
Floïd Blue
Aramis
YSL Pour Homme
Clubman
Pinaud Special Reserve
Proraso Green
The "Veg"

39 3,952
 11-09-2016, 03:14 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Ice Blue Aqua Velva
Harris Arlington
TOBS Sandalwood
TOBS Victorian Lime
GFT Wellington
Monsieur Musk

7 934
 11-09-2016, 05:50 AM
User Info
(11-08-2016, 06:17 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Great topic !

I honestly use after shave splash just for the fun of it - not becase I care that much about the scent really.
The After shave balm is the thing, now together with Thayers Witch Hazel, that cares for my skin after the shave, not so much the splash, which really is just for freshen up and for the fun of smelling the old classic scents for a moment or two.

It's gone in 1 hour anyway, for most after shaves and I always apply my fragrance du jour after the shave, so don't need a long lasting after shave.

With that said this is the after shave splashes I own, and I consider them all classics or classics in the making:

Floid Blue
Floid Suave
Floid Vigoroso

Proraso Green
Proraso Red

Pitralon Classic
Pitralon Swiss
Pitralon Original
Pitralon Polar

Myrsol - own the entire line, and all are classics

DR Harris Pink
DR Harris Sandalwood

Speick
Speick Active

I own 8 Penhaligon EDT's, and they are part of my fragrance collection.
I would not want to buy them in the after shaves, as I would much prefer to use them as EDT's, thus as my fragrance du jour.
Same with Santa Maria Novella, Acqua di Parma and many many other brands. I own 11 Acqua di Parma fragrances, but would never consider buying them as after shaves, because I just will apply Speick or something similar, and then apply the ADP fragrance 30 minnutes later. No clashing of scents will happen.

I see the whole pairing thing, but to me it seems more fun, than actual something beneficial.
I have yet to try a better after shave than Speick splash, and the scent of that is gone in 15-20 minutes.
Since I'm a liberal oversprayer of my fragrances, I just apply the fragrance in ample amounts all over the body a and neck area, and all you smells is my fragrance, since I often use 8-12 sprays, unless I'm wearing a really strong fragrance like Nasamatto Duro, Amouage Interlude Man and the like, in which case I use 3-4 sprays max and still will smell for 16+ hours.

Yes Claus,
I forgot to add Pitralon and Proraso, both excellent products.

75 2,320
 11-10-2016, 06:31 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I only have two at this time that I would consider classic.

[Image: wP3OnK5.jpg][Image: hBaJPcg.jpg]

179 23,934
 11-10-2016, 10:11 AM
User Info
(11-10-2016, 06:31 AM)Johnny Wrote: I only have two at this time that I would consider classic.

[Image: wP3OnK5.jpg][Image: hBaJPcg.jpg]
I haven't tried Small Batch Shave Tonic before Johnny, does it smell like Bourbon?

75 2,320
 11-10-2016, 12:10 PM
  • HMan
User Info
Considering your love for my favorite Floid Blue, I'm going to have to look into that other one. Smile

How many bottles of Blue do you have now btw?

0 22
 11-10-2016, 12:13 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Nathan, I wish it smelled like bourbon.  It is a Bay Rum scent.  Has some nice skin conditioners in it like witch hazel and aloe.

HMan, the answer is not enough.

179 23,934
 11-27-2016, 02:46 AM
User Info
One of my favorites...

[Image: 31270361125_7d839bc944_b.jpg]

3 304
 11-27-2016, 08:04 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
'Classic' by definition is a product with a history of time and social recognition. A 1938 Phantom ll is a classic. A 1989 Corvette is special interest. Young man wears the scent of his father/grandfather and applies for  that first summer job. The human resources lady is of their generation and smells her own father, life love. This young man just beat out
the  kid smelling of cigarettes and having his handwriting analyzed. The AS could be drugstore Mennon skin bracer or Lucky Tiger.

Alt Innsbruk and I am classically out as usual

2 3,171