11-08-2016, 05:48 AM
User Info
I received my chrome Hawk yesterday and shaved with it this morning with a Kai mild blade. It is much lighter than I expected, especially when comparing to iKon El Jefe, where it feels feather light in comparison. Despite this, the Hawk shaved like a dream and I achieved BBS in my usual 3 passes plus touchups. I have a heavy beard and despite this, it sailed through the whiskers no problem. Smooth shaver. No weepers. Very nice for the price! Finish only minor imperfections. I am very happy with the Hawk. By the way, it is my opinion that the Kai milds are misnamed---do not let the name fool you--they are sharp as heck but smooth due to the PINK coating. Very nice blade. I find the Feather pros a little rough sometimes. I should also mention that the machining is spot on with the tabs so closely machined that the blade barely fits on the posts, but it does fit to the exact margin without scraping the posts. If only the El Jefe were machined to this degree on the posts, but hopefully that will soon be corrected.

1 87
 11-08-2016, 06:57 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I am getting ready to go vote so I will be gone for a while.  I wanted to put this notice here before I leave.

If you have a Hawk or are considering getting a Hawk you can discuss the merits, both pro and con here.

Razor only, please.

178 23,808
 11-08-2016, 07:06 AM
User Info
(11-08-2016, 05:48 AM)kenloupa Wrote: I received my chrome Hawk yesterday and shaved with it this morning with a Kai mild blade. It is much lighter than I expected, especially when comparing to iKon El Jefe, where it feels feather light in comparison. Despite this, the Hawk shaved like a dream and I achieved BBS in my usual 3 passes plus touchups. I have a heavy beard and despite this, it sailed through the whiskers no problem. Smooth shaver. No weepers. Very nice for the price! Finish only minor imperfections. I am very happy with the Hawk. By the way, it is my opinion that the Kai milds are misnamed---do not let the name fool you--they are sharp as heck but smooth due to the PINK coating. Very nice blade. I find the Feather pros a little rough sometimes. I should also mention that the machining is spot on with the tabs so closely machined that the blade barely fits on the posts, but it does fit to the exact margin without scraping the posts. If only the El Jefe were machined to this degree on the posts, but hopefully that will soon be corrected.

Thank you for the report,
I have both in the mail and apart from the weight difference would you please elaborate on the shaving merits or demerits of the El-Jefe and the Hawk
apart from the Ikon's loading problem.

0 283
 11-08-2016, 07:49 AM
User Info
(11-08-2016, 07:06 AM)kyproset Wrote: Thank you for the report,
I have both in the mail and apart from the weight difference would you please elaborate on the shaving merits or demerits of the El-Jefe and the Hawk

I find the El Jefe to be slightly more aggressive than the Hawk, probably due to it's weight.  The blade exposure appears similar to me between the Hawk and the El Jefe, although I have not measured them.   Both are smooth shavers.   I would say that the El Jefe is the better razor of the two overall, especially once the posts get fixed, but even as it is.  I find the Hawk to be much better than I expected for the money and I am impressed how tight the machining is on it.   If you look at the designs, they are both very similar, with the El Jefe having a rounded back and the Hawk a squared off back.   The aluminum alloy on the El Jefe is definitely a nicer medium than the light aluminum on the Hawk.   I will use them both and keep them in my rotation.  I will be getting The General next to try as well (arrives today in silver).

1 87
 11-08-2016, 07:58 AM
User Info
(11-08-2016, 07:49 AM)kenloupa Wrote:

I find the El Jefe to be slightly more aggressive than the Hawk, probably due to it's weight.  The blade exposure appears similar to me between the Hawk and the El Jefe, although I have not measured them.   Both are smooth shavers.   I would say that the El Jefe is the better razor of the two overall, especially once the posts get fixed, but even as it is.  I find the Hawk to be much better than I expected for the money and I am impressed how tight the machining is on it.   If you look at the designs, they are both very similar, with the El Jefe having a rounded back and the Hawk a squared off back.   The aluminum alloy on the El Jefe is definitely a nicer medium than the light aluminum on the Hawk.   I will use them both and keep them in my rotation.  I will be getting The General next to try as well (arrives today in silver).
Thank you Kenloupa for the enlightening comments, I was also considering the General but I read it's a mild razor and mild razors are not efficient on my face. I use all my DE's with a feather.

0 283
 11-08-2016, 08:07 AM
User Info
(11-08-2016, 07:58 AM)kyproset Wrote:

Thank you Kenloupa for the enlightening comments, I was also considering the General but I read it's a mild razor and mild razors are not efficient on my face. I use all my DE's with a feather.
I prefer more aggressive razors as well due to my coarse dark beard.  You are correct that The General is reported as somewhat mild, but since it is a YMMV thing, I will try it and see.   I will probably prefer the Hawk and the El Jefe over the General is my guess, but who knows.   By the way, I have RAD like many of us and I also have the SE1, which strangely I don't like as much as the El Jefe or Hawk, although it's a fine razor.  I tried the SE2 as well, but exchanged it out for a Kronos H1, as I found the open comb design a little irritating for my skin on this particular razor (it's not a true open comb and the stainless still nibs I found a little rough).   I have used injectors as well and prefer the AC style razors over those, although they are great shavers too.

1 87
 11-08-2016, 09:48 AM
User Info
The Schick E4 injector and how well it shaves me is the real reason I started accumulating SE razors. It's good news to me when you say the AC blades are even better.

0 283
 11-08-2016, 08:33 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
I have had 3 shaves on the hawk. The hawk was way to light for me as it is so the first thing I did was switch out handles to a stainless steel 90 x 14 handle to give the razor some heft for a better shave and better control. I used a kai mild, the blade fit is tight. I had a 3 pass and clean up the razor for me is smooth and efficient with no irritation. This is a excellent SE regardless of the low price, but the price makes it more outstanding of a razor (this is just my opinion)

51 432
 11-10-2016, 06:44 PM
User Info
FYI, for those looking for black, it appears there are some more because they are available right now on Italian Barber.  I learned to browse their razors and check for availability and for that you can put one in your cart.

0 521
 11-10-2016, 10:53 PM
User Info

The General is a much more efficient razor than the Hawk. YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 403
 11-11-2016, 12:08 AM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
(11-08-2016, 08:07 AM)kenloupa Wrote:
(11-08-2016, 07:49 AM)kenloupa Wrote: I find the El Jefe to be slightly more aggressive than the Hawk, probably due to it's weight.  The blade exposure appears similar to me between the Hawk and the El Jefe, although I have not measured them.   Both are smooth shavers.   I would say that the El Jefe is the better razor of the two overall, especially once the posts get fixed, but even as it is.  I find the Hawk to be much better than I expected for the money and I am impressed how tight the machining is on it.   If you look at the designs, they are both very similar, with the El Jefe having a rounded back and the Hawk a squared off back.   The aluminum alloy on the El Jefe is definitely a nicer medium than the light aluminum on the Hawk.   I will use them both and keep them in my rotation.  I will be getting The General next to try as well (arrives today in silver).
I prefer more aggressive razors as well due to my coarse dark beard.  You are correct that The General is reported as somewhat mild, but since it is a YMMV thing, I will try it and see.   I will probably prefer the Hawk and the El Jefe over the General is my guess, but who knows.   By the way, I have RAD like many of us and I also have the SE1, which strangely I don't like as much as the El Jefe or Hawk, although it's a fine razor.  I tried the SE2 as well, but exchanged it out for a Kronos H1, as I found the open comb design a little irritating for my skin on this particular razor (it's not a true open comb and the stainless still nibs I found a little rough).   I have used injectors as well and prefer the AC style razors over those, although they are great shavers too.

The general is a more mild, less efficient razor. Shaves are better with the hawk and El Jefe imho. AC razors over injectors here too. Enjoy your se shaves!

7 325
 11-11-2016, 05:15 AM
User Info
(11-11-2016, 12:08 AM)Csd3 Wrote:
(11-08-2016, 08:07 AM)kenloupa Wrote:
(11-08-2016, 07:58 AM)kyproset Wrote: Thank you Kenloupa for the enlightening comments, I was also considering the General but I read it's a mild razor and mild razors are not efficient on my face. I use all my DE's with a feather.

The general is a more mild, less efficient razor. Shaves are better with the hawk and El Jefe imho. AC razors over injectors here too. Enjoy your se shaves!

Excellent example of YMMV. In terms of efficiency I would go El Jefe, General, Hawk. A heavier handle turns the Hawk into a whole different beast and pretty close to The General. Without that, I found the Hawk somewhat disappointing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 403
 11-11-2016, 07:56 AM
User Info
I have the black hawk. I used it a few days ago. I found it to be pretty harsh for my skin. I used a feather pro guard. I am not familiar with this artisan blades so I am not sure if that was harsh blade or not. 
My impressions are that it feels really light and cheap but it seems to do a great job. My next shave I will try a different handle maybe. 

how much longer do these artisan blades last then standard DE blades? I only get 2-3 out of a DE.

Also does the chrome version weigh more then the black version?

0 57
 11-11-2016, 09:55 AM
User Info
I personally get 10-14 shaves out of a Feather Pro Artist Club blade but have not used a Guard so cannot speak to that exact blade.  The consensus on the forum seems to be from 7-14 though so at least double your DE blades.

The stock Hawk is very light which for me encouraged applying pressure and that is a bad thing with this style of blade and may be the source of the harshness you experienced if you are using the stock handle.  I've switched it to a heavier stainless handle which doesn't have very good balance with such a light head but it seems to have worked for tricking myself into not applying pressure and the shaves are great as a result.  

For the price it is an amazing shaver however I do prefer the Rx and King Cobra no contest.  That said I do prefer the Hawk to the El Jefe from iKon because I find it to be a smoother shave for me both using Pros. I will not be getting rid of my Hawk it may be the best value in shaving.

83 423
 11-14-2016, 06:54 PM
User Info
Pot metal El Jefe BLEM or a CNC machined from 6061 billet and rod aluminum Hawk. For me my ikon could not even hold the blade. Common sense that with no blade the top cap and base plate should be touching. This is not the case with iKon's pot metal SE head. Take about going backwards in modern SE's.
Love the design of the hawk, can put down on its back and it stays. Can't do that with the ikon. I will try the hawk tomorrow, has big shoes to fill with ATT SE1 being the best for me.
[Image: cf0df8a79117eed88615cb9a3f0a549d.jpg][Image: 5a6b782f4a152ee0fb0c2f4de518c727.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 386
 11-15-2016, 05:46 AM
User Info
I had another great Hawk shave today using the Kai Captain Titan Mild blade and the stock handle.   I am still impressed how great this shaves for $20.  The machining is spot on and everything fits together exactly as it should for an SE razor using AC type blades.

1 87
 11-15-2016, 06:43 AM
User Info
Had my first shave. Very nice with Feather Pro. Hands down better than AlumiGoose either version. Hawk Anodized is superior finish. Seems more resistant to soap scum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 386
 11-15-2016, 07:23 AM
User Info
I must be lucky with my first two SE razors. My El Jefe shaves like a dream, just need to ensure cap & blade are pushed back. My Hawk is a fantastic piece as well. Both are so good I'm starting to worry about my 100 DE razors not getting any love.... Confused

9 154
 11-15-2016, 07:43 AM
User Info
First shave this morning with the Chrome Hawk.  I used the Kia guard blade. 

I did one side of my face with the Hawk and one side with the Rx.  For the second pass I switched sides just to make sure that the shave was even.

I was really impressed with how easy it was to zip around my face  with the Hawk.  With the Rx being much heavier, it required more care and attention.  The Hawk just feels much more like a standard injector because of the light weight.

I also noticed that the angle of the top cap is steeper than the Mongoose SS.  I'm very impressed with the $20 razor.

0 115
 11-15-2016, 04:12 PM
User Info
I thought the Ikon El Jefe head is made of aluminum not pot metal aka Zamak

0 197