11-08-2016, 01:12 PM
User Info
I hate it....

few, finally got that off my chest.  It has been nagging at me for a year.  Just had to come clean (a scent of which vetiver is not).

86 891
 11-08-2016, 01:48 PM
User Info
(11-08-2016, 01:12 PM)chromedometone Wrote: I hate it....

few, finally got that off my chest.  It has been nagging at me for a year.  Just had to come clean (a scent of which vetiver is not).

What does it smell like?

0 596
 11-08-2016, 02:45 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I said that when I first smelled Cyril R. Salter French Vetiver cream. That cream smells awful, like an ashtray. I could never shave with it, it has the worst scent I've ever smelled in a shaving product.

A few months ago I bought the Pannacrema Pure2O Vetiver. I didn't know how it smelled like, but I took the risk. I admit that I like it, it's a nice scent with lemony notes. It's very pleasant.

I would say that there are many different Vetiver scents, as there are many different Sandalwoods.

The best thing you can do is to find the one you like.

49 1,938
 11-08-2016, 02:58 PM
User Info
Love Vetiver. Earthy, musky, natural. Mike's is terrific; so is Jabonman Vetiver de Haiti. MW Vetiver & Oakmoss is wonderful too.  Biggrin

39 3,869
 11-08-2016, 03:02 PM
User Info
(11-08-2016, 02:58 PM)primotenore Wrote: Love Vetiver. Earthy, musky, natural. Mike's is terrific; so is Jabonman Vetiver de Haiti. MW Vetiver & Oakmoss is wonderful too.  Biggrin

Yes!  Vetiver is adictive   Biggrin

8 1,676
 11-08-2016, 03:09 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
It's definitely a love it or hate it scent, and it doesn't help that there are various interpretations of it, some of which are completely unlike the others.

34 1,628
 11-08-2016, 03:51 PM
User Info
It can grow on you.

The more my nose has evolved with the art of fragrances, just the last decade or so, the more I can appreciate new scents.

I still have a hard time with scents, that smell fecal on me, like Dior Leather Oud and Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan - but other than that, I accept the challenge of a new scent.

Vetiver is not for the untrained nose IMHO

I disliked it also, and found it a weird scent. But now I can really appreciate it.

24 5,840
 11-08-2016, 04:12 PM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
(11-08-2016, 01:48 PM)GreeneMD Wrote:

What does it smell like?

Multiple shades of damp, earthy, grassy, sometimes bitter nuances. Manuel's original vetiver is called Wet Earth which paints a good picture. Think Appalachian wet forest floor in decay.

7 325
 11-08-2016, 05:25 PM
User Info
(11-08-2016, 03:51 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: It can grow on you.

The more my nose has evolved with the art of fragrances, just the last decade or so, the more I can appreciate new scents.

I still have a hard time with scents, that smell fecal on me, like Dior Leather Oud and Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan - but other than that, I accept the challenge of a new scent.

Vetiver is not for the untrained nose IMHO

I disliked it also, and found it a weird scent. But now I can really appreciate it.

It has nothing to do with an "untrained nose" in my opinion. I simply do not like it.....in any of the dozens and dozens of soaps, fragrances etc in which I have smelled it in. Now a good oud...that I can get behind.

86 891
 11-08-2016, 05:45 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
It's unfortunate that some think vetiver smells like Cyril R. Salter's French Vetiver cream. Yuck. That is NOT my idea of a good vetiver. The first time I smelled, I thought "dirty socks."

Fortunately there are some fine vetivers to be had. CRSW makes several, Jabonman comes to mind. And my favorite, though out of production frag - Floris Vetiver.

I agree, that for many, its a love-hate scent. Me...I'm firmly in the love it camp.

57 1,562
 11-09-2016, 10:28 AM
User Info

I had mixed results with vetivers.  I think some vetiver oils are more smoky and earthy than others, which are more grassy or woodsy.  My first experiences with vetiver were CRSW Select Vetiver (which is pleasant - but later learned doesn't really have a vetiver note I can detect) and B&M Vetyver Santal (which was a blast of lemon that mellows out to sandalwood with a bit of dirt).  I figured, I needed a vetiver post-shave - and since CRSW Select Vetiver is supposedly just vetiver, I'll get the big bottle of Stirling Vetiver witch hazel.  Big mistake - just harsh and smoky.   

Then there's MLS Reunion, which is a very fresh, grassy take on vetiver - and one I really enjoy.  It's my favorite vetiver.  

At least that's one area of shaving software you can save money on! Haha

2 107
 11-09-2016, 11:39 AM
User Info
I'm with chill.  You can't just lump them all together.  

My nose is EXTREMELY sensitive to anything that smells remotely smoky.  So a lot of vetivers are out for me, because I dislike smoke scents.  

Others, though, are really grassy, almost completely grass.  I like those.  Others have a bit of dirt to them, and I'm OK with the combination of grass and dirt.  Once you add the smoke, I'm out.  

Therefore, I hate Cyril Salter's French Vetiver, which smells like a swamp fire to me.  Even the vetiver in MW's Vetiver and Oakmoss is too smoky for my taste.  On the other hand, I kind of enjoy the cologne Grey Vetiver, which might have a bit of smoky undertone, but which is mostly earthy/grassy and is balanced by other scents.  I think a nice, non-smoky vetiver also works well with juniper.

2 1,388
 11-10-2016, 06:23 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(11-09-2016, 11:39 AM)kingfisher Wrote: /snip/ On the other hand, I kind of enjoy the cologne Grey Vetiver, which might have a bit of smoky undertone, but which is mostly earthy/grassy and is balanced by other scents.  /snip/
Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver is in my regular frag rotation.  It is excellent.

57 1,562
 11-10-2016, 06:31 PM
User Info
I have also come to greatly appreciate a well mixed Vetiver scent. I really enjoy Mystic Water Vetiver/Oakmoss, Manuel's Vetiver de Haiti and Mike's Vetiver. Furthermore, the Bergamot/Vetiver EO that I buy from a local shop is superb! Shy

82 21,056
 11-10-2016, 06:59 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Vetiver root is very earthy and "brown". Fragrances with base notes made from vetiver root are referred to as "dirty" Vetivers by fragheads. Examples include Chanel Sycomore and Dior Vetiver.

Vetiver leaf is cleaner, lighter and "green". The most famous examples are Creed Original Vetiver and Guerlain Vetiver.

If you prefer lighter, cleaner, "greener" scents, I suggest you consider Creed Original Vetiver and Guerlain Vetiver. They are the polar opposite of dirty, earthy vetivers and are among my favorite fragrances.

If I am not mistaken, the CRSW vetivers are more clean, "green" vetivers. Mike's and Jabonman are the more "brown", dirty Vetivers.

159 1,315
 11-11-2016, 03:00 AM
User Info
(11-10-2016, 06:59 PM)Steelman Wrote: Vetiver root is very earthy and "brown". Fragrances with base notes made from vetiver root are  referred to as "dirty" Vetivers by fragheads. Examples include Chanel Sycomore and Dior Vetiver.

Vetiver leaf is cleaner, lighter and "green". The most famous examples are Creed Original Vetiver and Guerlain Vetiver.

If you prefer lighter, cleaner, "greener" scents, I suggest you consider Creed Original Vetiver and Guerlain Vetiver. They are the polar opposite of dirty, earthy vetivers and are among my favorite fragrances.

If I am not mistaken, the CRSW vetivers are more clean, "green" vetivers. Mike's and Jabonman are  the more "brown", dirty Vetivers.

Signs011

24 5,840
 11-11-2016, 11:40 AM
User Info
(11-10-2016, 06:59 PM)Steelman Wrote: Vetiver root is very earthy and "brown". Fragrances with base notes made from vetiver root are  referred to as "dirty" Vetivers by fragheads. Examples include Chanel Sycomore and Dior Vetiver.

If I am not mistaken, the CRSW vetivers are more clean, "green" vetivers. Mike's and Jabonman are  the more "brown", dirty Vetivers.

Thing is, I'm OK with either green or dirty.  I just don't like SMOKY.  And some of the earthy vetivers are VERY smoky to my nose, so I have to stick with the green ones.

2 1,388
 11-11-2016, 04:39 PM
  • Bouki
  • Sandwich Islands
User Info

Thanks for explaining this! Now I understand what I'm smelling.

5 111
 11-11-2016, 05:25 PM
User Info
Vetiver is powerful stuff. If you use it with restraint, it can be excellent. Used with a heavy hand, it can be overpowering... In my opinion anyway.

0 1,053
 11-13-2016, 06:43 AM
User Info
My first vetiver experience was with Mike's.  This is a solitary note soap and I disliked the scent so much that I thought about giving it away without using  it.  I'm glad I decided to try it because I ended up liking it a lot and it remains a permanent part of my soap rotation.  For those who don't care for all vetiver soap, there are a number of blends to try.  MW Vetiver and Oakmoss is nice.  If you find the vetiver too dominant in the MW,  Shannon's Soaps Valley Parkway (rosewood, lavender and vetiver) is also nice.  With Shannon's, the vetiver nicely balances out the rosewood and lavender, so that the floral aspect is not too dominant.  Also, Paladin just came out with Silk Road (vetiver, lavender and anise), which I will definitely try.

48 5,714