11-09-2016, 04:28 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
Hey guys,
 I need some information on the Wolfman standard blade gap. I was told that it is .61mm. So i reached out to Captain Murphy the guy that fixes Gillette adjustable razors. I asked him what .61mm was on a Gillette fatboy to give me an idea on the Wolfman. He told me that .61mm is like a fatboy @1. I figured the standard would be more agressive than that. My as-d1 is like setting 3 on a fatboy.

0 80
 11-09-2016, 04:51 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
I only have the Wolfman with the increased blade gap to .74mm. It's by no means my most aggressive razor, but it gives me a closer shave than my Slim set at 9. Blade gap, in my experience, is just one factor in aggressiveness. Blade angle and, especially, blade exposure are the others.

6 385
 11-09-2016, 05:07 PM
  • clint64
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
(11-09-2016, 04:51 PM)pbrmhl Wrote: I only have the Wolfman with the increased blade gap to .74mm. It's by no means my most aggressive razor, but it gives me a closer shave than my Slim set at 9. Blade gap, in my experience, is just one factor in aggressiveness. Blade angle and, especially, blade exposure are the others.

I have both the standard gap and increased blade gap Wolfman.  I echo your experience.  The standard gap is more efficient that my Slim on 9.

7 1,278
 11-09-2016, 05:15 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
(11-09-2016, 05:07 PM)clint64 Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 04:51 PM)pbrmhl Wrote: I only have the Wolfman with the increased blade gap to .74mm. It's by no means my most aggressive razor, but it gives me a closer shave than my Slim set at 9. Blade gap, in my experience, is just one factor in aggressiveness. Blade angle and, especially, blade exposure are the others.

I have both the standard gap and increased blade gap Wolfman.  I echo your experience.  The standard gap is more efficient that my Slim on 9.

So what modernor vintage  razor can i compare the wolfman standard blade gap to?

0 80
 11-09-2016, 05:19 PM
  • clint64
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
(11-09-2016, 05:15 PM)Slim Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 05:07 PM)clint64 Wrote:

So what modernor vintage  razor can i compare the wolfman standard blade gap to?

From my experience the Wolfman Open Comb with Standard Gap compares well to a Gillette New Deluxe on the Vintage side or a my Ikon B1 OC on the modern side.  I find the Wolfman to be smoother and more efficient than both.  For me the standard gap provides a consistently smooth close shave.  The increased gap requires more attention but it provides a very close and smooth shave.  I am a daily shaver and enjoy both.  If I had to pick only one it would be close but I would keep the standard gap.  Again these are just my thoughts.  Everybody is different.

7 1,278
 11-09-2016, 05:54 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
Ive tried to contact James at Wolfman, by email twice over a month ago and no response .

0 80
 11-09-2016, 06:19 PM
User Info
It doesn't work like that.

Gap is one factor in a much more complicated equation.

The standard Wolfman, to me, compared to the Fatboy scale is an 8. But - different.

The angle of the blade, the exposure relative to the safety bar, the weight of the razor, the phase of the moon.

It's standard and imperial.

10 1,455
 11-09-2016, 06:24 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
(11-09-2016, 06:19 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: It doesn't work like that.

The standard Wolfman, to me, compared to the Fatboy scale is an 8. But - different.

The angle of the blade, the exposure relative to the safety bar, the weight of the razor, the phase of the moon.

Im still confused?? Im not really familar with modern stainless razors.

0 80
 11-09-2016, 06:32 PM
User Info
They're like different brands of shoes.

You won't know what fits you best until you try it. 

Pretty much all there is to it.

A Wolfman standard gap is not like a Fatboy on level 1 though.

10 1,455
 11-09-2016, 07:45 PM
User Info
I have the Wolfman standard gap and while not overly aggressive I do find it very efficient. You could always get the standard gap and the. If it doesn't work for you talk to James about getting the gap changed

5 70
 11-09-2016, 08:08 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
(11-09-2016, 07:45 PM)Mitch114 Wrote: I have the Wolfman standard gap and while not overly aggressive I do find it very efficient. You could always get the standard gap and the. If it doesn't work for you talk to James about getting the gap changed

Ive tried asking James some questions, but he's not responded to my emails.

0 80
 11-10-2016, 04:22 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info

Exactly! That's why I'm stumping for the manufacturers to disclose (at least on high end razors) Gap, Blade Exposure relative to some fixed part of the head, Blade Angle relative to skin surface, Weight of Head (assembled weight will vary with our handle selection), oh yes and as suggested, Phase of the moon when the razor was manufactured!  Biggrin  I'd like to hear from razor makers on how practical disclosure of the foregoing would be. Gap, by itself, just isn't enough!

0 363
 11-11-2016, 12:01 AM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
(11-10-2016, 04:22 AM)beamon Wrote:

Exactly! That's why I'm stumping for the manufacturers to disclose (at least on high end razors) Gap, Blade Exposure relative to some fixed part of the head, Blade Angle relative to skin surface, Weight of Head (assembled weight will vary with our handle selection), oh yes and as suggested, Phase of the moon when the razor was manufactured!  Biggrin  I'd like to hear from razor makers on how practical disclosure of the foregoing would be. Gap, by itself, just isn't enough!

Good stuff- Dont forget to stump for the Coefficient of Friction of the razor head and Periodic Table composition makeup while you're at it ! Wink

7 325
 11-12-2016, 06:56 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
(11-11-2016, 12:01 AM)Csd3 Wrote: Good stuff- Dont forget to stump for the Coefficient of Friction of the razor head and Periodic Table composition makeup while you're at it !  Wink
You bet! And, there must be an optimal Coefficient of Friction because if the razor glides through the stubble too fast the slicing may not take down the stubble as well as it should for that particular blade. I just love variables!  Pancarta

0 363
 11-15-2016, 09:13 PM
User Info
Wolfman fever never ends Biggrin

0 212