11-09-2016, 06:25 PM
User Info
Just curious - I've tried a number of soaps and creams now - starting with TOBS and AOS creams, then adding Proraso and several others.  I then discovered soaps like Catie's Bubbles (La Terre Verte being my favorite) and several others.  Catie's Bubbles then switched formulas to harder, rather than the former softer soaps - which gave me some pause; but then that enabled me to try out other hard soaps, some good, some not so good.  I've really enjoyed B & M's Seville and Latha lines of tallow soaps and am looking forward to getting some CRSW and Mystic River soaps (my Christmas list).

Anyway, and to my point: I've notice a definite increase in lather quality from creams to soft soaps and then to tallow soaps, the latter being quite excellent.

Then a friend I recently converted to wetshaving clued me in to mixing a little cream or soft soap with tallow - and I was amazed at the improvement in lathering quality.  Just a little bit of say, a Catie's Bubbles mixed with my [current] B & M soaps produces by far a superior lather to anything I've tried by itself, be it cream, soft soap, or hard.

Has anyone else tried this?

0 401
 11-09-2016, 06:35 PM
User Info
I used to dabble in mixing products back in my early days, my issue was I wasn't loading enough product and not being able to mix enough water into my lather was holding my lather back a bit. It's quite popular as I have heard many gents like to mix products nothing wrong with it at all. My favorite back then was castle Forbes lavender with a bit of proraso green.

63 1,597
 11-09-2016, 07:00 PM
User Info
I like mixing MdC and Mike's, because they have opposite strengths and weaknesses that work together nicely. MdC is very easy to lather, but very drying, to my skin. On the other hand, Mike's has superb moisturization and postshave, but it doesn't lather worth a damn, without a lot of work. When I mix the two, I get good lather, and happy skin.

3 197
 11-09-2016, 07:05 PM
User Info
(11-09-2016, 06:35 PM)ultra~nova Wrote: I used to dabble in mixing products back in my early days, my issue was I wasn't loading enough product and not being able to mix enough water into my lather was holding my lather back a bit. It's quite popular as I have heard many gents like to mix products nothing wrong with it at all. My favorite back then was castle Forbes lavender with a bit of proraso green.

I have to admit I'm still learning about how best to lather, how to keep it moist and etc.  It's quite intriguing how "involved" it can be to get it right.  Used to think lathering was just very basic, but now I'm learning that was a tad naive.  Smile

Thanks for your reply!!

0 401
 11-09-2016, 07:11 PM
User Info
(11-09-2016, 07:00 PM)TropicalHotDog Wrote: I like mixing MdC and Mike's, because they have opposite strengths and weaknesses that work together nicely. MdC is very easy to lather, but very drying, to my skin. On the other hand, Mike's has superb moisturization and postshave, but it doesn't lather worth a damn, without a lot of work. When I mix the two, I get good lather, and happy skin.

Yeah, I've heard that about MdC (being drying).  I've not tried either of those yet but will definitely be getting some down the road.

One thing I've noticed when mixing (and I admit, I've only mixed thus far with B & M soaps) is that the B & M scent remains the predominant scent, that whatever cream or soft soap I mix with it (admittedly in small amounts) has no impact whatsoever on the net scent - but as you've experienced, the combined characteristics like moisturization, glide, and post-shave comfort seem to be enhanced, or compliment each other.

Thanks for the reply!!

0 401
 11-09-2016, 10:07 PM
User Info
Nope. I don't mix soaps. It should perform on its own, exactly as designed.

29 1,207
 11-10-2016, 06:44 AM
User Info
(11-09-2016, 10:07 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Nope. I don't mix soaps. It should perform on its own, exactly as designed.

But not every soap performs well on its own.

3 197
 11-10-2016, 07:28 AM
User Info
I prefer thinner and denser lather than I get with some tallow soaps. For example I like to superlather Haslinger with KMF. I mixed MW with another soap the other day, can't remember what is was, but it worked quite well.

8 1,210
 11-10-2016, 06:33 PM
User Info
(11-10-2016, 06:44 AM)TropicalHotDog Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 10:07 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Nope. I don't mix soaps. It should perform on its own, exactly as designed.

Then, I wouldn't use it. Shy

83 21,113
 11-10-2016, 06:58 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(11-10-2016, 06:33 PM)celestino Wrote:
(11-10-2016, 06:44 AM)TropicalHotDog Wrote:

Then, I wouldn't use it. Shy

62 3,008
 11-13-2016, 10:07 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I mixed in some Valobra hard soap with another soap that was not performing well toward the end of its life. This improved the shave dramatically. But then so would using the Valobra by itself. I was just being stubborn and trying to finish the entire puck of the other stuff.

43 1,705