Poll: Does pre shave oil ruins natural bristle shaving brushes?
 08-08-2012, 10:14 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I dont remember where I did read that,but somebody was claiming that using pre shave oil ruined his badger hair brush (I assume it was a silvertip badger).

What say ye? I think this is not true at all.If badger hair is very similar to human hair,then oils in normal quantities wont affect it at all,but even will nourished it,like when women from some cultures apply oil to the hair to make it more shiny and healthy.

I haven't had any bad experience with pre shave oils and my natural bristle shaving brushes (both boar and badger),but I have also a large rotation of brushes.

What are your experiences thoughts about this issue?Does it ruins it or not?

86 7,123
 08-08-2012, 10:30 AM
User Info
i used to use it when i started using straights for the firs few months and i saw no ill effects on the badger brushes that i had.

75 20,883
 08-08-2012, 10:41 AM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
I think in the "Gourmet Guide" there's a reference to pre shave oils ruining badger brushes. So far, mine are all just fine. I don't believe it.

9 408
 08-08-2012, 10:58 AM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
don't use pre-shave oils everyday but I haven't seen any ill effects on any of my brushes (Badger, Boar or Horse)

3 497
 08-08-2012, 11:05 AM
User Info
Highland MensCare says:

"We do not recommend using a pre-shave oil with a shaving brush. Even if you use a very thin layer of oil, it coats the the individual badger brush hairs and removes their ability to absorb large quantities of water.
The thin coating/residue that remains is almost impossible to remove. Even washing in hot water won't help - the oil residue remains in the brush and slowly builds up to a point where the hairs actually stick together."

On other forums, people have said that the oil can be removed relatively easily with a borax solution, Dawn, or Em's brush cleaner. I've used preshave oil for the past year without apparent problems, but then again, I only use each brush about every 2 months.

184 12,003
 08-08-2012, 11:12 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-08-2012, 11:05 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Highland MensCare says:

"We do not recommend using a pre-shave oil with a shaving brush. Even if you use a very thin layer of oil, it coats the the individual badger brush hairs and removes their ability to absorb large quantities of water.
The thin coating/residue that remains is almost impossible to remove. Even washing in hot water won't help - the oil residue remains in the brush and slowly builds up to a point where the hairs actually stick together."

On other forums, people have said that the oil can be removed relatively easily with a borax solution, Dawn, or Em's brush cleaner. I've used preshave oil for the past year without apparent problems, but then again, I only use each brush about every 2 months.

Maybe I should use the same brush and pre shave oil for a period of time,to see what Highland Men's care claims is true or not,but I highly doubt it.

86 7,123
 08-08-2012, 11:17 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
One other thought is that your shaving soap/cream especially if it's made with oils and lye is naturally designed to dissolve and remove oil so it can be washed away. The same way soap removes grease and oil from your hands. Plus there is a certain amount of unsaponified oil still left in soap which is also known as superfat. So if oil was going to run the brush. Then by the nature of the beast, in reality the soap/cream would ruin your bristles as well because of those superfat oils that are not saponified by the lye. These superfat oils also make the soap more moisturizing.

Hubby uses pre-shave oil and he uses 1 silvertip brush day in and day out. It was his grandfathers or great grandfathers brush so since I gave it to him with a new knot (the old was gone years ago) that's all he's used and he hasn't had a problem with his.

7 405
 08-08-2012, 12:24 PM
User Info
Teiste,
I follow your logic about oil on hairs and relating it to what we do to make our hairs look healthy and shiny. Without even getting into wether it's helpful or not, my question is how would these oils affect synthetic fibres? If natural fibers are used to having some oil what are your thoughts on if synthetic brushes may be harmed from regular preshave oil use?

31 7,914
 08-08-2012, 12:26 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-08-2012, 12:24 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Teiste,
I follow your logic about oil on hairs and relating it to what we do to make our hairs look healthy and shiny. Without even getting into wether it's helpful or not, my question is how would these oils affect synthetic fibres? If natural fibers are used to having some oil what are your thoughts on if synthetic brushes may be harmed from regular preshave oil use?

Synthetic fibres dont absorb water was natural bristles do,so Im sure that the synthetic fibres would be affected at all by using pre shave oils.

86 7,123
 08-09-2012, 12:01 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
 08-29-2012, 09:39 PM
User Info
I use pre shave oil and have had no problems with my brushes.

0 91
 08-30-2012, 11:31 PM
User Info
My own feeling is, and I can only speak for Badger hair.

Any form of Pre-Shave oils / Gels are not good as badger hair has a very long hollow shaft which allows for water uptake and retention.

Oils & Gels will effect the efficiency over time, I have always used a none oil based pre-shave (Castle Forbes) water based or vegitable Glycerine oil.

Hope this helps.

Charles U.K

0 2,339
 10-22-2012, 05:57 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
(08-08-2012, 10:14 AM)Teiste Wrote: I dont remember where I did read that,but somebody was claiming that using pre shave oil ruined his badger hair brush (I assume it was a silvertip badger).

What say ye? I think this is not true at all.If badger hair is very similar to human hair,then oils in normal quantities wont affect it at all,but even will nourished it,like when women from some cultures apply oil to the hair to make it more shiny and healthy.

I haven't had any bad experience with pre shave oils and my natural bristle shaving brushes (both boar and badger),but I have also a large rotation of brushes.

Small Correction: I didn't ruin any brushes. I wrote that I had heard that oil can absorb into the hair and alter the ability of the hair to absorb water. I just didn't want to risk it with MY brushes to find out if it WAS true. How much or how often it would take to occur is an unknown to me. I pass on the oil because I don't get as close a shave. That it protects well, is a definite. ONE "source" said the absorbtion was a non-issue, the absorbtion would be minimal, but I noticed that you said you were a face latherer. Could it occur over time ? Keep me posted. It may take a while to find out. The other said it might not be noticed until it was too late, and that shampoo, brush cleaner, etc. would do little to remove it. Thought I'd toss it out there. Just winning friends and influencing people. I'd like to hear whatever is found to be true, in either case. So, when I came across this issue, I beard -prepped with a scrubby/mild soap and hand face-lathered on my shave cream after mug-whipping it while trying the oil, rather than risk have my brush disown me.

(08-09-2012, 12:01 PM)MickToley Wrote: There are these:

http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/shav...brush.html

http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/shav...brush.html

Thanks for the links, Mike. The 2nd link mentioned that it could happen, with enough repetition. How much/how often is TOO much, he couldn't pin down. The controversy continues !

Some oils are water-soluble, some oils are not. Sebacious oils themselves are pretty water IN-soluble. Shave oils are likely to be more "water-resistant" so they don't rinse off while in use. And I sure could feel it on my skin even when washing with soap and water after finishing up shaving. that's probably why they leave the skin feeling somewhat comfortable and soft after using them.

(08-08-2012, 10:14 AM)Teiste Wrote: I dont remember where I did read that,but somebody was claiming that using pre shave oil ruined his badger hair brush (I assume it was a silvertip badger).

The oil in the hair thing is true, methinks. Look at the use of cultures with beautful hair, like pacific-Islanders, etc. their hair-care secret is coconut oil, then rinsed out. Some of it soaks in and stays there. BUT...they don't need/use their hair to absorb water to make shaving lather. Would the performance of the brush deteriorate over time ? Lotta back and forth on this issue, with no clear answer yet in sight. May take laboratory analysis and the electron microscope to find out for certain, and to what extent. I wonder what the brush makers would have to say about it ?

0 1,291
 10-22-2012, 07:55 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I am really confused. Why is this thread in the aftershave section? Huh

45 16,340
 10-23-2012, 05:20 PM
User Info
there are several pre shave oil etc. threads in this section. Probably because there isn't a better place.

129 6,685
 10-29-2012, 01:54 AM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
My thoughts... Isn't the idea of wet shaving for the enhancement of your face or is it for the betterment of your brush. I know brushes can get grossly expensive but if a PSO gives you a better shave then use it. To me the brush is a tool. If I have a high dollar blade in my chop saw and have to cut hard floor material, I don't bust out a cheap blade. The expensive one will make for a better job... Isn't the goal the outcome? I am still new to this but I find I get the same end results whether I use my best badger I paid $40 for or a boar brush I paid $8 for. Both can whip up a great lather. That to me is the ends to the means. I don't see chunking out $150 plus for a brush your afraid to use... I'll keep using PSO because it works for me. If I ruin a brush along the way then I'll get a new brush... This is all about ME and not a brush... Shave happy my friends...

5 1,151
 10-29-2012, 09:34 AM
User Info
That's a pretty practical way to look at it.

However, there's still the protecting your investment way of looking at things. If you can achieve the same results without damaging either your expensive blade or brush, wouldn't you try to do it that way first?

9 2,988
 11-03-2012, 11:26 PM
User Info
Wouldn't the soap or shaving cream wash out any pre-shave oil from the brush? The lather might be a little off, but lathering the brush and rinsing it out effectively washes the brush each day.

0 303
 11-04-2012, 12:00 AM
User Info
(11-03-2012, 11:26 PM)Tbone Wrote: Wouldn't the soap or shaving cream wash out any pre-shave oil from the brush? The lather might be a little off, but lathering the brush and rinsing it out effectively washes the brush each day.

That's my thinking/hypothesis.

9 2,988
 11-07-2012, 03:33 AM
User Info
I think it would depend on the oil, I know I wont let anything with castor oil/ ala AOS preshave touch my face or brushes again, its just thick gross garbage.

0 652