11-11-2016, 04:03 AM
User Info
This is a request to those lucky people who have had the opportunity to use both the ATT SE and Asylum Rx.

I am an old dude with a gray, grisly beard.  Think 40 grit sandpaper.  Over the years I have used all sorts of razors and I have a fair collection of both new and historic razors.  My two favorite razors these days are the Wolfman OC and the GEM Bullet.  Both work well for me.  If I had to choose one, I might very well pick the GEM as I get a bit less irritation from it.  My skin seems to prefer the more rigid GEM blades.  In the past I have used most of the ATT razors.  For those that are familiar with them, the R series worked well for me.  The H series was too aggressive for a daily shave.

Every XMAS Santa gets me shaving stuff.  This year I am hoping for one of the new SE razors.  But Which One??

Can someone who has tried both the ATT and Asylum razors give me a quick review?  My sense is that most people who have tried both seem to prefer the Asylum to the ATT, but I am not certain why.

Thanks in Advance,

Richard Rodmonster

2 57
 11-11-2016, 06:19 AM
User Info
I have tried both, and I prefer the Asylum Rx to the ATT SE1.  
I also prefer The General to the ATT, and in both The General and the ATT I prefer Feather AC Pro Super blades over regular AC Pro blades. 

The Asylum Rx  gives me a closer cleaner shave with an AC Pro blade, than the ATT and General do with a Pro Super.  
However, the best SE shaves I've gotten lately have been from the (discount priced and flawed) El Jefe, also using an AC Pro blade.  

Another really fine razor for shaving coarse beards is the DE iKon Tech, which IMO beats the 2011 Muhle R41 as the most aggressive DE razor.  
I have a coarse white beard that does not submit to mild razors, and this is my opinion.

R. O. Y.

10 175
 11-11-2016, 06:24 AM
User Info
I have both ATT SE1 and SE2 as well as the Asylum. Honestly I prefer the ATT SE2 with a Kai Pro Touch blade over the Asylum. However the Asylum with a Schick Proline blade is very close. The SE2 feels too aggressive IMO when used with a Feather Pro, the Asylum tames it and provides a smooth comfortable and very close shave.

I have to mention the margins are minimal but noticeable to my shave. With that in mind the SE2 is the most efficient, but fussy with blades. Also the Atlas handle provides much better balance than the Bamboo.

The SE1 is the mildest of the three.

I have had at least 15 shaves with each type.

0 831
 11-11-2016, 09:00 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I've done the Cobra (a while ago), the Mongoose, the ATT SEs, and the Asylum.  You asked only about the latter two, so will confine my remarks to those.  Since both use the same basic format, the Feather AC system blades, they are very similar with respect to the shave with the wide stiff blade.  There are some trade-offs however.  The ATT will handle all the AC blades available, including the most aggressive Feather Super Pro's, while the Asylum as stated by Phil and noted in the product description is limited as to which blades it will accept.    Where the blade choice is applicable to both razors  (say with a Feather Professional)  the Asylum is somewhat more aggressive.   The ATT SE is available with either Safety Bar or Open Comb construction, in a choice of three handles, while the Asylum at present is limited to the safety bar head & one stock handle.   Aesthetically you either like understated (ATT) or ornate (Asylum).  Finally, the more complex machining of the Asylum comes with a significant upcharge - retail is around 25% higher than the ATTs.

I just got the OC head for the ATT, and the Asylum has been out for less than a month, so it would be silly to pronounce either one as the be-all, game changer, or even a strong favorite before using them both for a longer while.

43 459
 11-11-2016, 10:59 AM
User Info
(11-11-2016, 06:24 AM)Nishy Wrote: I have both ATT SE1 and SE2 as well as the Asylum. Honestly I prefer the ATT SE2 with a Kai Pro Touch blade over the Asylum. However the Asylum with a Schick Proline blade is very close. The SE2 feels too aggressive IMO when used with a Feather Pro, the Asylum tames it and provides a smooth comfortable and very close shave.

I have to mention the margins are minimal but noticeable to my shave. With that in mind the SE2 is the most efficient, but fussy with blades. Also the Atlas handle provides much better balance than the Bamboo.

The SE1 is the mildest of the three.

I have had at least 15 shaves with each type.

My sense from reading most of the comments on the Asylum is that it is more aggressive than the ATT including the SE2.  Is that generally true or in your opinion does the blade make the difference here?

Cheers

2 57
 11-11-2016, 11:20 AM
User Info
Blade choice makes a huge difference IMO. Put it this way if I were to sell of a razor it would be the SE1 base. Saying this I don't enjoy the mild nature of the ATT M plates or the S1. Much prefer the R2, H1 and S2. Hence the SE1 is too 'light' a shave if that makes sense. Good efficiency and comfort if that's your thing, across a wide range of blades.

If using a Kai Pro Touch, I find the shaves in both the Asylum and SE2 to be nicely balanced. Roughly at an R1 plate or Timeless scalloped 0.68mm. If you use a Feather Pro that brings about a small change, similar to the Timeless 0.95 OC or in between the R2 and H1. I can't use a Feather Pro Super in the Asylum, but it is not designed for it (tried and left raw with a couple of nicks). In the SE2 it is really crisp on the face. Similar to a freshly honed straight, again IMO.

I prefer using a Kai Pro Touch in the SE2 and in the Asylum. I have just tried a Schick Proline which was superb too. Nothing wrong with the Feather Pro, it gives a very close (possibly closer) and comfortable shave. I prefer the 'clicking off hairs' with the Kai Pro Touch. Similar to my feedback preference) the Timeless 0.95 OC and Wolfman OC 0.74.

Kai Captain feels better in the Asylum IMO. Smoother and more rounded cutting feel.

It was easy to find the cutting angle of both. Each also offers a different face feel. The Asylum head is hardly cumbersome itself. It is a gorgeous. Hence why I will be keeping both. I always measure efficiency and if you wanted to give it, it would go to the SE2 IMO. But the difference is minimal and 2 passes to BBS may come with both later down the road.

0 831
 11-11-2016, 12:07 PM
User Info
I have both (all 3, actually - I have both heads for the ATT). I'd say that the Rx is more aggressive with the same blade in both, but an SE2 with a Pro Super will be more aggressive than an Rx with a Titan Mild. With the right blade either razor should work for you so it comes down to personal preference.

ATT offers a 30 day trial policy - if you are not happy, send it back for a refund.

Also, you can order the ATT right now. With the Rx you must sign up on an email list and wait.

I enjoy owning both razors, but I could probably be happy with either one with the right blade.

--Bob

0 185
 11-11-2016, 12:33 PM
User Info
Very helpful, everyone.

Thanks for the advice

2 57
 11-11-2016, 04:02 PM
  • RSP1
  • Western NY
User Info
I own the SE1 and the Asylum. For me the ATT provides the smoothest shave I've gotten from a razor to date. The Asylum is more nimble and easier to get under the nose, but I prefer the ATT. The Asylum design is one of the most genius I've seen in a razor, and if I get it dialed in with the right blade it could take over #1 spot. Right now that belongs to the SE1 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 313
 11-11-2016, 05:05 PM
User Info
Both razors are great. I've found the Asylum to be a bit too aggressive for me with a Feather Pro or Kai standard and prefer it with a Feather pro guard. I love the design and the smaller head makes it really maneuverable. That said, after 3 or 4 days in a row, I can feel like I need an "off day" even with a guard blade. The SE1 is a little less maneuverable due to the bigger head, but has been smoother for me, and works best for me with a feather pro or Kai standard. I like them both a lot, but if I had to pick one right now, I'd probably pick the SE1 because even with the guard, the RX can feel a bit aggressive for me after several days of use.

0 4
 11-13-2016, 03:40 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I found the Asylum Rx to be much more efficient than the ATT SE1.

If you enjoy a mild razor then the ATT might be best, however I much prefer the Rx.

The Rx is a keeper (for me). I let go of the ATT as it took too many passes to achieve a similar result as the Rx and the Cobra.

EDIT: After sampling many blades with many razors I've settled on the Kai Milds as my go to SE blade. Feather Pro work well for me, but the Kai is smoother.

99 18,011
 11-13-2016, 08:50 AM
User Info
well, Ben you have always been smooth.  my favorite of the three is the se2 but the asylum is just sexy and works great for me too.  favorite razor still the old weber ph though

73 1,260
 11-15-2016, 04:15 PM
User Info
have  neither of them but they both look good with the RX ahead of the ATT in the looks department

0 168