08-08-2012, 12:55 PM
User Info
What's the trick to getting decent lather from Kiss My Face cream? I know a lot of guys are fond of that cream, so I picked up one of the large pump bottles when it was on sale recently at Wegman's. I used it 4-5 times, but could only generate enough lather for 2 passes.

It wasn't a complete waste, as I'll add a dab to soap sometimes to create a "superlather," and the Mrs. loves to use it on her legs. I tried it alone again this morning, though, and got the same results.

To those who use KMF as part of their regular rotation: what do you do to get a decent lather out of it?

2 129
 08-08-2012, 01:00 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Use more product. Don't skimp on it, just add more and start with a damp brush, add a little water, repeat.

88 4,233
 08-08-2012, 01:03 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have used the Lavender and Lime shaving creams and I didnt find any problems making lather out of them,but as beartrap have said,used more product.

86 7,123
 08-08-2012, 01:04 PM
User Info
I agree with Steve. Use a little more.

How are you lathering? Face, bowl, etc.? I just give a good two pumps on my brush then hit the face.

9 1,199
 08-08-2012, 02:44 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(08-08-2012, 01:00 PM)beartrap Wrote: Use more product. Don't skimp on it, just add more and start with a damp brush, add a little water, repeat.

I totally agree. KMF is very inexpensive so using a little more is no big thing.

100 12,437
 08-08-2012, 04:16 PM
User Info
Do this.
(08-08-2012, 01:00 PM)beartrap Wrote: Use more product. Don't skimp on it, just add more and start with a damp brush, add a little water, repeat.

15 762
 08-08-2012, 05:16 PM
User Info
Thanks, guys. I generally already use 2 pumps. We have fairly hard water here, though, so I get less than optimal results with a number of products.

2 129
 08-08-2012, 06:31 PM
User Info
Ahh! You beat me to it. I was going to ask about your water.

I have extremely soft water and use 1/2 a pump and have much more ultralather than I can use.

Another thing you can try with ALL soaps/creams is to use distilled water. A gallon will last a very long time because you'll only use it for lather making. Doing that you'll need to back off on the soap as I do. The DW will pay for itself just by the savings in product consumed.

32 6,308
 08-09-2012, 04:26 AM
User Info
(08-08-2012, 06:31 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Another thing you can try with ALL soaps/creams is to use distilled water. A gallon will last a very long time because you'll only use it for lather making. Doing that you'll need to back off on the soap as I do. The DW will pay for itself just by the savings in product consumed.

I have thought about the distilled water route, but it always seemed like a pain and an added expense. Of course, now that you point out that it would pay for itself in using less product (which for some reason had never occurred to me before!) it seems worth a shot.

2 129
 08-09-2012, 09:10 AM
User Info
You do know that Kiss My Face is intended to be used with just your hand applying the cream and not a brush. Therefore, if you plan on using it with a brush, then you need more product. Good luck.

75 20,883
 08-09-2012, 09:25 AM
User Info
(08-09-2012, 09:10 AM)celestino Wrote: You do know that Kiss My Face is intended to be used with just your hand applying the cream and not a brush. Therefore, if you plan on using it with a brush, then you need more product. Good luck.

Yeah, I know. I just find that I have to use twice as much product (no matter what I'm using) as everyone else claims because of the hard water here. The only reason I asked about KMF is because even if I use a lot of product, I find that I still get a fairly weak lather.

2 129
 08-09-2012, 11:41 AM
User Info
(08-09-2012, 04:26 AM)ronwell Wrote:
(08-08-2012, 06:31 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Another thing you can try with ALL soaps/creams is to use distilled water. A gallon will last a very long time because you'll only use it for lather making. Doing that you'll need to back off on the soap as I do. The DW will pay for itself just by the savings in product consumed.

I have thought about the distilled water route, but it always seemed like a pain and an added expense. Of course, now that you point out that it would pay for itself in using less product (which for some reason had never occurred to me before!) it seems worth a shot.

Leave it to the frugal Yankee to come up with that, huh!?

Good luck with it.

32 6,308
 08-09-2012, 01:50 PM
User Info
I think KMF was reformulated somewhat recently, at least to remove parabens, so perhaps other changes were made.

12 1,243
 08-09-2012, 04:36 PM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
My wife always has KMF in the house and I've tried two varieties of it and I had the same trouble the OP is having.

I've used what I consider an excessive amount of product and then went back with even more product and generated only weak lather and this with a synthetic brush the first time out and then a badger for the second shot....and distilled water.
Both efforts produced weak, non-protective lather, only enough for two passes at most,similar to the OP.

I do fine with any soap or cream, MWF, etc.yet still had trouble with the KMF. I just gave up because it wasn't something I went out of my way to get.

I always follow the advice above,ie: more product, work with the water, etc.

I've tried the KMF with the bowl, straight on the face and also palm lathering. I remain clueless on using KMF with a brush. I wish the OP luck! I gotta give it another shot now......

6 905
 08-10-2012, 11:34 AM
User Info
Hmmm. I've only had KMF for a few weeks and only used it a few times. I got better results with less product. Too much was a little goopy and didn't form good lather. Probably differences in water. Works well, fast, and easily for me. I like it quite a bit so far.

0 140
 08-10-2012, 12:35 PM
User Info
Based on what I read in another thread, I tried rubbing a little KMF on while in the shower as a sort of pre-shave treatment, which worked pretty well. I'm determined to get my $4.99 worth out of that bottle!

2 129