11-12-2016, 06:51 PM
User Info
We live in great times these days.

There has never been more soaps and cream brands availble to us, than right now.

We have so many great soap makers, thnat it's diffcult to keep track of what to try and buy.

I have a rather large collection and I have been trying to buy all the best and greatest soaps and creams out there, no matter what brand it was.

I now feel I have to stop. 

Soaps and creams are coming out of my ears, and drawers and shelfs like no tomorrow.

It's getting absurde. If I don't stop I will soon be able to rotate a new soaps and cream year round without using the same twice in the same year.
Some will start to turn rancid/bad soon.

I got to stop.
What to do - stop altogether buying soaps and creams for a year ?

Can't do it. Don't have the control to do it.

So instead I will now focus on the brands, that I feel are the top brands for my personal preference, and will continue to support these brands to a certain extent.

I have 15-20 brands, that I think will continue to reelease new soaps, and I will probably continue to buy from them.

But I have to draw a line somwhere. New brands have to be like almost THE 10/10 PERFECT soap for at least 10 of the users I trust, for me to start hoarding soaps from the brand.

How do you feel about the new brands coming out ?

Are you brand loyal ?
Do you just buy soaps here and there and buy the new releases or do you also prefer to stay loyal to a few of your favourite brands and don't feel you can focus on all the new brands coming out constantly ?

I almost feel overwhelmed over all these new brands being released daily.......it's crazy.

But I still love, that we have all these fantastic new soap brands being released all the time. It creates room for variety.

24 5,841
 11-12-2016, 07:16 PM
  • iShave
  • Calgary
User Info
I've tried a lot of the highly regarded soaps around here and all performed good, but I don't want a huge soap collection, I only want a few of the very best and at this point I think I found it. So far nothing I've tried tops Sudsy Soapery or Midnight & Two, these two are now my soaps and I have two of each and that should be good enough for me. I've since been giving away a lot of my other soaps as the performance difference is noticeable, I just won't use them now over the two I mentioned so no point in keeping them around to collect dust. I'll likely keep Caties LPV around, since it's probably my favourite scent and it's a good performer, not on Sudsy or M&2 level but good. So at this point I'm loyal to Sudsy and M&2, I'm surprised that they haven't yet recieved more recognition around the shaving community as these are pretty special soaps, IMHO. I'm Probably done soap shopping now.

1 429
 11-12-2016, 07:19 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
These are good questions, Claus. If I were being realistic about my life expectancy and my soap and cream collection, I would stop buying and unload 75% (or 90%) of my collection immediately. The problem is, for the price of a meal, a few beers or drinks, or gasoline on a road trip, I can also enjoy a new lather experience.

5 316
 11-12-2016, 07:30 PM
User Info
Variety is the spice of life.

I'm going to try what catches my interest regardless of whether everyone raves or not. Conversely I've ignored many products that others insist are the best for them. As fickle as the vocal minority are, I realised that the tides of the fawning masses move too quickly for me to pay attention too closely. 

I know what I like but if I only ever buy what I already have used I may not discover something that I like even more.

I have enough soap as well too. I do tend to buy duplicates of what I love after putting a brand through its paces. Mike's Natural comes to mind. Barrister and Mann as well. 

I have too many to strictly wait until one is empty to pick up a different scent of the same brand or a new to me brand now and then.

I have gifted enough soaps that I didn't love whole heartedly to stock a distributor I think. 

It's all part of the hobby to me. Chasing the dragon.

7 1,313
 11-12-2016, 07:44 PM
User Info
CRSW
Jabonman
LASSC
European products

I will occasionally try something new, but tend to ignore 95% of what is coming out these days. I suspect many are just trying to ride the wave and will ultimately be doomed to failure...

158 1,016
 11-12-2016, 07:46 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Over the years, I've tried many brands; commercial and artisan.
I've settled upon a few favorites, through trial and error.
At this time, I am content.
To be honest, I feel that the marketplace has become oversaturated with 'me too' products that are not distinctive by any means.

102 18,552
 11-12-2016, 07:57 PM
  • e-dub
  • right brain: bna. left brain: dtw.
User Info
i have. there are lots of utterly underwhelming and boring soaps out there that have earned their place on my ignore list.

40 665
 11-12-2016, 08:31 PM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
I don't consider myself loyal to brands, but  after trying most of the soaps in the market, I keep buying D.R. Harris soaps, Proraso soaps and creams, Castle Forbes creams, and Pre de Provence soaps time again.

17 401
 11-12-2016, 09:42 PM
User Info
I'm pretty sold on Mike's & CRSW - I like almost every product they release. I have a number of other brands: SV, reef point, Catie's bubbles, etc. but Mike's & CRSW are my staples. I will say that SdP really impressed me recently though - both soap and balm.

26 984
 11-12-2016, 10:15 PM
User Info
Personally, I just don't "get" the whole bit with some makers coming up with neverending new releases, "limited editions", or seasonal specials.

I'm sorry, but it's soap; you shave with it. Its purpose is to keep the razor from scraping you raw. Once you have a soap - or cream, or oil - that does that well for you, what more is there to say about it or what more do you need?

I suppose my own attitude is informed partly by the fact that I am suspicious of strong perfumes or other scents, because they sometimes trigger migraines for me in heavy concentrations. I therefore tend to prefer soaps of all kinds as well as aftershaves and deodorants that are either unscented or mildly scented - the traditional English or European classics, for example. A lot of the new artisan stuff just leaves me cold.

1 29
 11-13-2016, 12:28 AM
User Info
Im pretty loyal to Mama Bear.  I love that its made in Wisconsin and it just makes so much lather.

0 28
 11-13-2016, 02:50 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
For me in the end it is all just shave soap. All I have learned after trying 40 odd different soaps and creams is that cost has little bearing on performance.

I have just spent a week shaving with Palmolive shave sticks grated into a bowl and an inexpensive well broken in Omega boar brush. The quality of those face lathered 4 pass straight razor shaves have been virtually indistinguishable from those I get using much more expensive soaps and high end 2 band badger brushes. I think I am at the point where I will stop chasing the holy grail of soaps and brushes.

After I have used up what I have on hand I will stick with Arko, Palmolive shave sticks, Tabac and Haslinger soaps. That will likely be my brand loyalty going forward. OTH it has been a great deal of fun experimenting and an education too. Wouldn't have missed that for the world.

Bob

0 1,694
 11-13-2016, 04:37 AM
User Info
Claus I'm telling ya were in the same boat with soaps , creams, fragrances etc. I'm always chasing the new thing and it's getting old for me. We are always looking for the top performer and when something comes out I feel like I have to try it. I have a ton of artisan products and when I find the ones that have the best formula I may buy multiple scents.

I need to do a purge of products to the forum in the BST because I'm sitting on a lot of good stuff that I never use or have never used at all. Just yesterday I thought I knew what the slickest soap was till I tried a brand new Soap last night and was like "really" more money I have to spend now Smile. At least this is the thought in my head. I think we have those that are content and people like us that are always chasing something greater.

Do we have any Psychologists in the group?  Icon_popcorn

49 356
 11-13-2016, 05:39 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
(11-12-2016, 07:46 PM)Agravic Wrote: To be honest, I feel that the marketplace has become oversaturated with 'me too' products that are not distinctive by any means.

As a reborn wet shaver I tend to agree with Ravi, but not from experience. Reading about all the soaps available has me about convinced that an inventory of a dozen soaps will keep me going for the rest of my life. I say that because I bring to the table enough years under my belt along with health issues that will limit the time left to experiment with all the 'latest darlings' in soaps. 

Of what I've tried, so far (only 11 different soaps), I could be quite happy with only my Pré de Provence No. 63 and CRSW  Select v.2 Limenthol. A few more of those 11 haven't been tried, yet, and could become favs, also. I guess I'm not particularly brand loyal since if it works for me...

All the paraphernalia that goes with this hobby will exceed my ability to try it all, but it's great fun reading the experiences that you gents are having with it.

0 363
 11-13-2016, 06:04 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I am very content with Cold River Soap Works and use it primarily. It has been my go to for several years now. It's a solid product that just plain works for me and I can lather it quickly and consistently without any thought. I use all of the CRSW after products as well as the bath soaps so I guess that makes me "brand loyal" . I do have others including the classics like Tabac but rotate them in mostly on whim.

59 4,383
 11-13-2016, 06:50 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have several in inventory but only loyal to two of them.

Mitchell's Wool Fat and Czech and Speake Oxford & Cambridge.

175 23,752
 11-13-2016, 07:10 AM
User Info
LASSCo, Sampsons, and Brutalt Bra work best for me so far, so I would buy them again.

29 1,776
 11-13-2016, 07:39 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
I too have owned nearly everything, with the exception of products with lanolin in them.

I've already sold the majority of what I've owned (2-3 hundred items). I still own 80-100 (a guess) soaps/creams.

But I more or less use ONE brand every day since about June (another guess): Valobra

This includes AoS tallow soaps and Czech & Speake.

Nothing comes close IMO.

I feel like everything else is very close to each other in overall performance, but Valobra made hard soaps are on a whole other dimension. I look forward to using them too... as in, when I try to force myself to use other brands I lose my interest. I just want to use my darn Valobra made soaps.

(I even just bought another 20 unscented AoS tallow last week, dare I ever run out.)

Would it be nice to have more scents to choose from? Maybe, but NOT at the expense of performance... And since IME nothing even comes close to Valobra made soaps, I am fully content with their scent offerings (through the three different brands).

57 2,545
 11-13-2016, 07:39 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I enjoy variety. I currently have 30 soaps/creams on hand and have tried many more. I am brand loyal. I am reducing the number of soaps in my Den as I finish them. I do not have any soaps now that I don't like, a LOT, but there are many that I will not reorder when they are gone. I would like to get down to 15-20. I am not saying I won't order a "new" soap, but it will be a rarity. There are some artisan soap makers that I will ALWAYS have on hand, as well as few mass produced brands.

As always, YMMV.

4 2,692
 11-13-2016, 11:17 AM
User Info
(11-12-2016, 06:51 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: We live in great times these days.

There has never been more soaps and cream brands availble to us, than right now.

We have so many great soap makers, thnat it's diffcult to keep track of what to try and buy.

I have a rather large collection and I have been trying to buy all the best and greatest soaps and creams out there, no matter what brand it was.

I now feel I have to stop. 

Soaps and creams are coming out of my ears, and drawers and shelfs like no tomorrow.

It's getting absurde. If I don't stop I will soon be able to rotate a new soaps and cream year round without using the same twice in the same year.
Some will start to turn rancid/bad soon.

I got to stop.
What to do - stop altogether buying soaps and creams for a year ?

Can't do it. Don't have the control to do it.

So instead I will now focus on the brands, that I feel are the top brands for my personal preference, and will continue to support these brands to a certain extent.

I have 15-20 brands, that I think will continue to reelease new soaps, and I will probably continue to buy from them.

But I have to draw a line somwhere. New brands have to be like almost THE 10/10 PERFECT soap for at least 10 of the users I trust, for me to start hoarding soaps from the brand.

How do you feel about the new brands coming out ?

Are you brand loyal ?
Do you just buy soaps here and there and buy the new releases or do you also prefer to stay loyal to a few of your favourite brands and don't feel you can focus on all the new brands coming out constantly ?

I almost feel overwhelmed over all these new brands being released daily.......it's crazy.

But I still love, that we have all these fantastic new soap brands being released all the time. It creates room for variety.
A47

39 3,875