11-14-2016, 09:04 AM
User Info
Re next release: [url=Re next release: https://www.paladinshaving.com/blogs/new...-release-1  Further updates pertaining to the release will be posted into this thread.]https://www.paladinshaving.com/blogs/news/next-release-1[/url]

Further updates pertaining to the release will be posted into this thread.

3 997
 11-14-2016, 07:45 PM
User Info
November 16 release preview: [url=November 16 release preview: https://www.flickr.com/photos/141014234@...6582949795[/url]

3 997
 11-15-2016, 03:34 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Ken - as usual they look great.  How can one tell what knot size these have?

44 473
 11-15-2016, 05:29 AM
User Info
(11-15-2016, 03:34 AM)garyg Wrote: Ken - as usual they look great.  How can one tell what knot size these have?

Thanks and good question. We need to figure out if we can do something about that. On the shop, you can sort by size. Each brush has a serial number that indicates size, and serial numbers are printed on owner cards below the photo. I think we had some reason for posting the photos on Flickr without serial numbers, but I can't remember what it might have been. Possibly just time. 

I'm pretty sure all brushes in this release have 26 mm sockets except the two Sumos, which are 24s. 

There is a way you can distinguish based on the photos and loft measurement. It's a bit of a pain, though. That is to use calipers to take fairly precise, on-screen measurements of loft and base diameter at the insertion point. This works best on a large display. Then solve for actual socket size using LS : DS = LA : DA (LS = loft on screen, DS = diameter on screen, LA = actual loft, DA = actual diameter). I've had to do it this way, and it worked. Here's a handy ratio calculator: http://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculator...ratios.php.

3 997
 11-15-2016, 05:49 AM
User Info
(11-15-2016, 05:29 AM)Paladin Shaving Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 03:34 AM)garyg Wrote: Ken - as usual they look great.  How can one tell what knot size these have?

Thanks and good question. We need to figure out if we can do something about that. On the shop, you can sort by size. Each brush has a serial number that indicates size, and serial numbers are printed on owner cards below the photo. I think we had some reason for posting the photos on Flickr without serial numbers, but I can't remember what it might have been. Possibly just time. 

I'm pretty sure all brushes in this release have 26 mm sockets except the two Sumos, which are 24s. 

There is a way you can distinguish based on the photos and loft measurement. It's a bit of a pain, though. That is to use calipers to take fairly precise, on-screen measurements of loft and base diameter at the insertion point. This works best on a large display. Then solve for actual socket size using LS : DS = LA : DA (LS = loft on screen, DS = diameter on screen, LA = actual loft, DA = actual diameter). I've had to do it this way, and it worked. Here's a handy ratio calculator: http://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculator...ratios.php.

Or, I guess if you want to do it an easier way, the filename for a photo displayed at bottom left on Flickr includes the serial number, the third character of which indicates socket size (4, 6, or 8 for 24, 26, or 28, respectively). I just caught that one of the numbers is in error. So thanks. But wish you'd asked so I could have figured this out before doing the ratio thing a few days ago.

3 997
 11-15-2016, 07:48 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
(11-15-2016, 05:49 AM)Paladin Shaving Wrote: Or, I guess if you want to do it an easier way, the filename for a photo displayed at bottom left on Flickr includes the serial number, the third character of which indicates socket size (4, 6, or 8 for 24, 26, or 28, respectively). I just caught that one of the numbers is in error. So thanks. But wish you'd asked so I could have figured this out before doing the ratio thing a few days ago.

That's what I was hoping for, thanks Ken, sorry for the tardy query.

44 473
 11-15-2016, 10:40 AM
User Info
(11-15-2016, 07:48 AM)garyg Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 05:49 AM)Paladin Shaving Wrote: Or, I guess if you want to do it an easier way, the filename for a photo displayed at bottom left on Flickr includes the serial number, the third character of which indicates socket size (4, 6, or 8 for 24, 26, or 28, respectively). I just caught that one of the numbers is in error. So thanks. But wish you'd asked so I could have figured this out before doing the ratio thing a few days ago.

That's what I was hoping for, thanks Ken, sorry for the tardy query.

That's OK. Actually, it's pretty funny. We were trying to resolve some confusion about a brush's size in the middle of shipping out the last release. I was trying to identify the size of a brush in a photo that included knot measurements. Ended up solving based on ratios when I had the serial hiding out of view on the screen. 

Looks like Cody has already added a size label so others don't have to parse the serialization code.

Thanks again.

3 997
 11-15-2016, 04:38 PM
User Info
 11-16-2016, 11:58 AM
User Info