11-15-2016, 05:28 PM
User Info
(11-15-2016, 04:24 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 02:24 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 02:07 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote: I don't know... Four of the five products you list as "overrated and underperforming" are widely regarded as classics in the shaving world, yet you rate highly Barrister's Reserve, which includes a scent designed to mimic what you regard as overrated? 

I respectfully disagree wholeheartedly with your assessment.
+1

(11-15-2016, 03:56 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 02:24 PM)primotenore Wrote: +1

+2

(11-15-2016, 04:03 PM)nikos.a Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 03:56 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: +2

+3

For me, Myrsol, Floid and Pitralon are some of the best European brands.

(11-15-2016, 04:08 PM)NJDJ Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 04:03 PM)nikos.a Wrote: +3

+4

Wow, am I glad that my self-worth is not based on others sharing the same opinions as me. I'm glad y'all like what you like, but all of you doing this in response to my post is honestly pretty funny.
I spoke up because you were giving the OP bad advice. I'm not saying your recommendations are bad (I'll "reserve" judgment on that), what I am saying is to class products that get consistently rave reviews as overrated and underperforming is nonsense. 

I have noticed a few examples lately of products that receive broad, enthusiastic support being panned in favor of certain brands. While I have no evidence to support my supposition, I think it is more than coincidence.

Each person is entitled to his opinion, I understand, but this was just bad advice, plain and simple.

I didn't "troll" anything.

160 1,037
 11-15-2016, 05:35 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
I find PAA and Wm Neumann to be underrated. I own or have PIF'd Myrsol, Fine, Floid, Trumper's skin food (PIF) and Pitralon (PIF). I enjoy all five, but I do think they're a bit overrated. Except Floid Vigoroso, which is magical to my nose.

P.S. I also enjoy my Barrister's Reserve very much, but the B&M praise, deserved as it may be, puts this product out of the "underrated" category, in my book.

6 349
 11-15-2016, 05:59 PM
User Info
One I forgot about that I think might possibly be underrated is Blackship Grooming (Beaver Woodright).

His splash gives you the initial kick-in-the-pants alcohol, but after that its chock full of goodness:  aloe, witch hazel, vitamin E.  Absolutely outstanding post shave feel, and his balms are top notch as well.

I followed up my shave tonite with Thomas Tew AS, and I forgot how freakin' awesome this stuff is.  Highly recommend.

13 494
 11-15-2016, 06:49 PM
User Info
(11-15-2016, 05:28 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 04:24 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 02:24 PM)primotenore Wrote: +1

(11-15-2016, 03:56 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: +2

(11-15-2016, 04:03 PM)nikos.a Wrote: +3

(11-15-2016, 04:08 PM)NJDJ Wrote: +4

Wow, am I glad that my self-worth is not based on others sharing the same opinions as me. I'm glad y'all like what you like, but all of you doing this in response to my post is honestly pretty funny.
I spoke up because you were giving the OP bad advice. I'm not saying your recommendations are bad (I'll "reserve" judgment on that), what I am saying is to class products that get consistently rave reviews as overrated and underperforming is nonsense. 

I have noticed a few examples lately of products that receive broad, enthusiastic support being panned in favor of certain brands. While I have no evidence to support my supposition, I think it is more than coincidence.

Each person is entitled to his opinion, I understand, but this was just bad advice, plain and simple.

How is sharing my personal experience nonsense? Do you see me here creating posts trying put those products down? No you don't. You just got upset that my opinion differs from others & especially yours. Does your experience equal good advice while mine equals bad? I don't think so. Your post was rife with troll-like material which is why I called it the way I saw it. If that wasn't your intention then you should try wording your posts in a more polite manner. Everything you are writing is coming off in a demeaning way and I'm not one to sit back and let you and others walk over us that may not be in the "club" simply because our thoughts differ. I made my post and all you and others did was jump on it in a demeaning way. If that wasn't your intention then you should have left my post alone and simply answered the OP's question in your own post with your own experiences. The end.

31 8,057
 11-15-2016, 06:54 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
22bulldog, I completely agree about Beaver Woodright! How could I miss that?

6 349
 11-15-2016, 06:54 PM
User Info
(11-15-2016, 06:49 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 05:28 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 04:24 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Wow, am I glad that my self-worth is not based on others sharing the same opinions as me. I'm glad y'all like what you like, but all of you doing this in response to my post is honestly pretty funny.

How is sharing my personal experience nonsense? Do you see me here creating posts trying put those products down? No you don't. You just got upset that my opinion differs from others & especially yours. Does your experience equal good advice while mine equals bad? I don't think so. Your post was rife with troll-like material which is why I called it the way I saw it. If that wasn't your intention then you should try wording your posts in a more polite manner. Everything you are writing is coming off in a demeaning way and I'm not one to sit back and let you and others walk over us they may not be in the "club" simply because our thoughts differ. I made my post and all you and others did was jump on it in a demeaning way. If that wasn't your intention then you should have left my post alone and simply answered the OP's question in your own post with your own experiences. The end.
All I said was that it was a mistake to ignore the classics and that I respectfully disagreed. You are the one who started us down the path towards a thread lock, Dr. Brian. 

If having good taste in certain shaving products affords me membership in a "club" then I will happily pay my dues and wear the "club tie." Try to relax...

160 1,037
 11-15-2016, 07:12 PM
User Info
Gentlemen, this is an interesting thread.  Let's please keep the discussion courteous and civil.  Those of you who disagree, please move on and stay on the topic.  Thanks.

50 6,065
 11-15-2016, 07:38 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
To each his own.
My favored AS, and I've tried many, is Floid Blue.
Myrsol is a close second.
I maintain, and I will say this is my personal opinion; there are far too many 'me too' products being peddled and promoted falsely these days.
Perhaps I'm a traditionalist; bottom line for me is that I'd rather stick with classics rather than waste time with artisan crap that merely tries to 'reinvent' what's already available.
What annoys me most is the dubious marketing efforts and methods of certain artisans and their surrogates.  
Malarkey.

102 18,650
 11-15-2016, 08:04 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I will add another favorite of mine in terms of price:performance - Pitralon.

So:
Floid
Myrsol
Pitralon

102 18,650
 11-15-2016, 10:24 PM
User Info
My favorites

Florida water
Pinaud Clubman
Pinaud Clubman Lime Musk
Pinaud Clubman Lime sec
Avon Leather
Avon Lime
Osage Rub
AV Musk

Why? Because I'm CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP, it does what its suppose to and smells nice. I'm too old to worry if I wear the latest thing.  Cool

0 596
 11-16-2016, 04:34 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(11-15-2016, 10:24 PM)GreeneMD Wrote: My favorites

Florida water
Pinaud Clubman
Pinaud Clubman Lime Musk
Pinaud Clubman Lime sec
Avon Leather
Avon Lime
Osage Rub
AV Musk

Why? Because I'm CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP, it does what its suppose to and smells nice. I'm too old to worry if I wear the latest thing.  Cool

Me too. Smile

178 23,808
 11-16-2016, 08:20 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(11-15-2016, 01:46 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: ABest and affordable IME...

Splash: Barrister's Reserve ($25) & Krampert's Finest ($15-18)

Balm: Soap Commander ($12)

Most overrated and underperforming:

Myrsol, Trumper's Skin Food, Fine, Floid, Pitralon

I agree with respect to Myrsol and Trumper's Skin Food and would go the extra step of adding "highly".  I haven't tried the others. 
My favourite "best bang for the buck" aftershave is the Aqua Velva line.  As for high-end aftershaves, my favourites are Harris Arlington and Trumper's Wellington.

7 909
 11-16-2016, 08:29 AM
User Info
(11-16-2016, 08:20 AM)Rufus Wrote:
(11-15-2016, 01:46 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: ABest and affordable IME...

I agree with respect to Myrsol and Trumper's Skin Food and would go the extra step of adding "highly".  I haven't tried the others. 
My favourite "best bang for the buck" aftershave is the Aqua Velva line.  As for high-end aftershaves, my favourites are Harris Arlington and Trumper's Wellington.

Thanks for mentioning Aqua Velva. I would be more than happy using AV as my sole aftershave as it performs better for my skin than those others. Apparently we have similar skin chemistries Rufus! Biggrin

31 8,057
 11-16-2016, 09:18 AM
User Info
(11-15-2016, 01:46 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Best and affordable IME...

SC Balms are indeed amazing and a value.

39 3,919
 11-16-2016, 05:15 PM
User Info
(11-15-2016, 04:31 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Balms: Sapone de Paolo balms are fantastic.

YES!

2 328
 11-26-2016, 02:53 PM
User Info
Best for me:
I Coloniali Mango (3 in 1), L' Occitane Cade and Eau de Baux, in AS balms area.
Speick and DR Harris Arlington, for splash AS.
Not cheap but very good products...

0 17
 11-27-2016, 07:39 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Myrsol Balsamica by the liter is pretty hard to beat for value. I like lighter balms most of the time, PdP, Razorock, and Castle Forbes, MdC, and the ABC balms (except the apricot hull which is heavier) are all on the light side.

I found the comment that AS like Myrsol are 'designed to burn' curious. I use Myrsol regularly and it never burns and has almost no sensation at all, like water. If the straight has a lot of shaves on it and needs a touch up, I might feel a little tingle for a few seconds.

Cheers, Steve

7 523
 11-27-2016, 08:05 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I went with my grandfather to inspect a potential remodeling contract. I was excited to hear it was Errol Flynn's old bungalow called Falcon's Lair or something. In my youth I imagined finding misplaced pirate swords and such and began exploring the hillside with hard chapparell behind the living room window. What I found was a midden of  cheap whiskey by the hundreds tossed right out said window. My grandfather and the owner
ran over to get me, it being summer and rattlesnake season. They saw the midden, examined the labels with obvious disdain. ' Tell me your opinion one more time Jack'? 'Tear it all down, place is a dump'. 'right'. I was older when he slipped into the old bathtub Packard in the garage full of old National Geographics and Cigars. He pulled out a flask of sigle malt. 'Now this is a gentleman's drink' and gave me a sip, well two. ' This isn't the stuff we found that day is it'? 'No, there is a time and a place for that, but not everyday,not everywhere'.
there's lots of good AS from modest to expensive, good and bad on both ends.

2 3,171
 11-28-2016, 09:11 PM
User Info
I enjoy Myrsol, WM Neumann, and Speick splashes more than any others.

In regard to balms, I like CRSW post-shave lotion, QC balm, and Cade balm. All 3 are excellent, with QC and Cade being heavier and thicker in consistency but absorb quite well.

10 350
 11-30-2016, 01:50 AM
  • HMan
User Info
What I don't get in this discussion is saying that Floid and Myrsol (the AS's in this discussion that I own) have NO other skin care qualities than burn and tighten. As I find them both to be 'nourishing', moisturising / non-drying, even in winter.

Under-perfoming compared to some top-shelf brands, I can understand, but I like a little more behind the rationale than just 'it is so'. So can you guys who think there is something better tell in words WHY is it better? Is it so vastly better that it's worth spending x amount more? Not that I have a problem with price, I'm sure I'll wind up with some of the pricier brands and some artisan AS as well. 

That's a huge part of what's fun about this hobby, the trying things out and seeing what sticks.

But to just disregard the so many classics just because seems a step too far.

0 22