Poll: Do you stay loyal to the artisan brands you already know ?
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
 11-15-2016, 05:32 PM
User Info
I saw a YouTube video with TSE (Chris B), where he took this subject up.

Do you just buy the latest and G(?)reatest soaps from the new artisans, or do you prefer to stay loyal to the older established artisans out there ?

While wetshaving is certainly gaining in popularity these days, there are only room for that many artisan soap makers.

So if we want our preferred artisan brands to stay in business, we should support them, and not keep on buying the newest and latest artisan soap brands, that keep on popping up.

I'm guilty of doing both  Biggrin

I buy a LOT of soaps from my preferred artisans, but also buy from the new ones, for instance just bought all the Phoenix & Beau soaps.

But I could see myself stopping now.

My favourite artisans are currently: Cold River Soap Works, Barrister & Mann, Tabula Rasa, Le Pére Lucien, Sapo Varesino (is this an artisan?), Caties Bubbles, Phoenix & Beau, Meißner Tremonia, Wickham 1912, Panacrema Nuavia and now Mike's Natural.

I still consider supporting Stirling Soaps as my next artisan brand.......Mystic Water is a maybe still....

I now hear L&L groming should make the perfect soap, but as mentioned in the YouTube video by Chris, we already have close to the best soap - so why keep on chasing 'The Best' ?

This post is sort of a follow up on my post, where I asked if people were brand loyal. I saw TSE's video AFTER I posted that, so this is also inspired by TSE's video, but also a follow up to my own post, which I made here some days ago.

Are you trying to stay with the artisan brands, that you know and like, in order for them to keep staying in the business making their soaps, or are you the type of guy, that just wants the next best thing and really don't worry about whether one or two artisans are going out of business for one or the other reason ?

24 6,018
 11-15-2016, 05:51 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
A large and diverse rotation is nice, however there is something to be said for consistency and using a product you love instead of one that does the job but is just ok.
I have been lucky to have found two soap makers that I love. Cold River Soap Works and Mystic Water. 
Once I have used up all of my other soaps I plan on maintaining a stock from the offerings of these two soap makers.

29 1,627
 11-15-2016, 05:53 PM
User Info
My curiosity has gotten the better of my wallet more times than I can count. I plan on sticking to my two main brands unless something compelling is released.

160 1,040
 11-15-2016, 05:54 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I definitely support my oldest and original artisan - Mike's Natural.  I would also be supporting Strop Shoppe had they not closed.  Luckily I have a bunch.

However, I will try other tallow-based soaps that get great reviews.  Eventually, most do not get reached for very often. For example, Tiki Bar, B&M, Stirling, Reef Point, Cold River and Mickey Lee's.  Only Stirling, Reef Point and B&M are in use.   Recently, I have tried  Canada's Tallow&Steel and Britain's OSP and find them to be excellent soaps earning them places in the rotation.

While we are on the subject, w/respect to non-artisans I find myself reaching for MWF and DR Harris less and less although Tabac and Cella are still in there as rotation regulars.

1 796
 11-15-2016, 06:04 PM
User Info
I mainly support the old reliables but I also purchase new ones from time to time after reading up on it or asking knowledeable folks for their advice.

11 1,170
 11-15-2016, 06:30 PM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
Just one of the many reasons I like coming here.  It's nice to have a reminder of Artisan's that get lost in the shuffle due to all the new soaps coming out.  I still buy Mike's, Stirling and CRSW.  I would buy more B and M but I have too many soaps at this point.  Was thinking of adding an Al's cream sometime in the future.  I am getting to the point where I've bought about everything imaginable and don't see the point in trying too many more new things out.  How much better can someone make a shaving soap?

49 639
 11-15-2016, 06:31 PM
User Info
Mike's Natural and B&M are about as old as you can get for hot process (e.g. not melt and pour) artisan soaps and they still get my money regularly.

16 1,027
 11-15-2016, 06:43 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
The first artisan soap that I ever tried,approximately four years ago, was Mike's Natural. Now, several hundred soaps later, it's still my favorite soap and the one that I use most frequently. If his scents were as lovely as Michelle's of Mystic Water, I would use nothing else.

38 5,197
 11-15-2016, 07:11 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(11-15-2016, 05:32 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I'm guilty of doing both  Biggrin

Haha, I literally laughed out loud here, Claus!! Love the enthusiasm!

62 3,006
 11-15-2016, 07:13 PM
User Info
(11-15-2016, 06:43 PM)evnpar Wrote: The first artisan soap that I ever tried,approximately four years ago, was Mike's Natural. Now, several hundred soaps later, it's still my favorite soap and the one that I use most frequently. If his scents were as lovely as Michelle's of Mystic Water, I would use nothing else.

This.

29 1,207
 11-15-2016, 07:46 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
I had tried a bunch of artisans, but I have not fallen in love with any of them.
The only brand I'm loyal to currently is Valobra. (...Which, however, in my mind IS a true artisan since they've been making soaps for centuries and generations in the same family and still use their traditional methods. Snoop around their website for a bit and check it out.)

62 3,006
 11-15-2016, 07:50 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I'm content with the artisan products that have consistently prevailed over time; honestly, IMO the vast majority of new artisan brands/products are redundant and offer no innovation.

102 18,668
 11-15-2016, 08:11 PM
User Info
If I hear that a new soap is very good, I'll try it, regardless of my large collection of one soap as I enjoy experimenting. Shy

83 21,110
 11-15-2016, 08:34 PM
User Info
I'm good with trying new soaps, it's not expensive, but if I don't find it's as good as my current favourite I'll just give it away as I can't bring myself to hoard soaps and don't want to deal with a less than perfect shave

2 465
 11-15-2016, 08:42 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
To quote from another post of mine here in a different thread;

"To each his own.

I maintain, and I will say this is my personal opinion; there are far too many 'me too' products being peddled and promoted falsely these days.
Perhaps I'm a traditionalist; bottom line for me is that I'd rather stick with classics rather than waste time with artisan crap that merely tries to 'reinvent' what's already available.
What annoys me most is the dubious marketing efforts and methods of certain artisans and their surrogates.  
Malarkey.
"

102 18,668
 11-15-2016, 09:38 PM
User Info
It's an interesting question...I hadn't thought much about artisans needing loyalty to stay in business.  But considering the fate of Strop Shoppe, perhaps there's something to this.

I'm not a loyalist or fan boy, but I will say there are certain artisans whose products I find to give me consistently great shaves: Mike's, Mystic Waters, B&M, and Stirling.  I am a bit on the fence about CRSW but am interested in trying v2 and Oliva.

That said, I don't use artisans exclusively and some of my best soaps are among the luxury producers of Italy and France.

As more and more new artisan products come out, I think I've lost much of my ardor for trying new soaps.  Certain products that seem universally enjoyed are on my "some day" list.  I'm trying to keep that list very short.  Nuavia, Jabonman, SdM, Esbjerg, maybe a couple others.

11 972
 11-15-2016, 09:54 PM
User Info
I'm loyal to the ones I love, but I'm also open to trying new ones.

3 4,674
 11-15-2016, 09:59 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(11-15-2016, 06:43 PM)evnpar Wrote: The first artisan soap that I ever tried,approximately four years ago, was Mike's Natural. Now, several hundred soaps later, it's still my favorite soap and the one that I use most frequently. If his scents were as lovely as Michelle's of Mystic Water, I would use nothing else.

That’s what makes horse races.  I have a couple of tins of Mike’s, one of which is (depending upon the definition of artisan) the oldest puck of artisan soap in my cabinet. (The label says Brooklyn, not Ann Arbor.)  I have not abandoned Mike’s, but I use Mystic Water a lot more these days.  The reason is pretty direct:  here in Portland (where you live also), with our water, I get much better lather from Mystic Water than I get from Mike’s.  Different strokes for different folks.

1 1,110
 11-16-2016, 11:14 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have all but given up on trying new products.  I have so many vintage soaps and favorite artisans already in stock that I don't feel I am lacking anything.  I will occasionally purchase something that gets a rave review from some fellow shavers that I know have similar tastes and trust they aren't on a new product high or shilling.  The one new(er) artisan product that I fell heavily for is Saponificio Verisino, of which I now have four different soaps from.  That is ok, though, as I lost Strop Shoppe and SV is more than adequate in replacement.

148 2,821
 11-16-2016, 11:23 AM
User Info
(11-15-2016, 05:51 PM)jamesrobson5 Wrote: A large and diverse rotation is nice, however there is something to be said for consistency and using a product you love instead of one that does the job but is just ok.
I have been lucky to have found two soap makers that I love. Cold River Soap Works and Mystic Water. 
Once I have used up all of my other soaps I plan on maintaining a stock from the offerings of these two soap makers.
+1 (Different brands, but same goal)  Biggrin

39 3,950