11-15-2016, 05:50 PM
User Info
I'm torn. Do I keep and use, or do I sell?

A few week past I acquired a box set of Penhaligon's soap. It's a three-soap set, each soap 100g/3.5oz, and each still in their original wrapping. They are Blenheim Bouquet, English Fern, and Hammam Bouquet.  

Based on the date on the box (2000), and ingredients list, they are the old, original pre-reformulation with tallow.  And, from what I've been able to piece together from web sources, both the English Fern and Hammam Bouquet are no longer made in soap/bar form.  Speaking with a retailer of Penhaligon's, he told me in his 25 years of selling their products he's never seen this box sex.

So, do I keep them and consider grating and mixing them with an unscented tallow or lanolin shave soap, or do I put it up for sale?  With two kids in college I appreciate every dollar I can keep or obtain, but on the other hand I'd love to use and shave with these soaps as I'll probably never again have them in my possession.  

Help me out guys... what should I do?

Thanks!

Tom

[Image: 2l0Hd2X.jpg]

[Image: qptgsZc.jpg]

[Image: C7IoJzO.jpg]

[Image: SQ3MABk.jpg]

0 10
 11-15-2016, 06:56 PM
User Info
If I were to keep them I would not bother mixing them with another soap, I'm sure a gent would be interested in them for collector display purposes.

59 1,404
 11-15-2016, 07:03 PM
  • Nero
  • Saving Through Spending More
  • le montagne
User Info
Sorry to burst your bubble, but those are hand soaps, they are not for shaving. Otherwise I'd be a bidder.

56 2,538
 11-15-2016, 07:31 PM
User Info
(11-15-2016, 07:08 PM)Aventus Wrote: Where did you find these?

I assume you mentioned grating them with a shave soap in order to enjoy them as a shaving soap rather than a both soap. I'm not sure that will turn out how you'd expect.

Aventus, you're right.  I know they're hand soaps, but with the valued tallow. The idea of grating is to combine them with a good unscented tallow or lanolin shave soap to help encourage these hand soaps to act more like a shave soap.  Not a perfect solution, and not the equivalent to having a (discontinued) shave puck, but probably the closest I'll get to it.

0 10
 11-15-2016, 07:49 PM
  • Nero
  • Saving Through Spending More
  • le montagne
User Info
(Sorry I missed that part)

56 2,538
 11-15-2016, 07:54 PM
User Info
(11-15-2016, 07:49 PM)Nero Wrote: (Sorry I missed that part)

No worries. I don't believe I was as clear as I could have been in original post. But thank, Nero!

0 10
 11-17-2016, 07:17 AM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
Probably an unpopular decision, but I'd be using those beauties in the shower! Either that, or just sell them, not really sure how the shaving route would work (probably be acceptable), but if it failed, I'd hate to see those nice body soaps wasted in such fashion.

10 231
 11-17-2016, 08:20 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Consider; how much will the soaps actually bring you in real $s? Will that amount really help with the college bill? Might your enjoyment of using the soaps (however you choose to use them) be worth more than the relatively small $ amount you'll reap with a potential sale? I say, use them.

And btw, welcome to the forum Smile

4 1,902
 11-17-2016, 08:38 AM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
Sure is a pretty set to look at packaging wise; I would just hold on to the set for decoration if it was me personally

7 290
 11-17-2016, 02:14 PM
User Info
Without a second's hesitation I would use them in the shower.  Get a good quality scrunchy (loofah-like thing) and make you bath lather they way you make shave lather; load the scrunchy heavily, then add a bit of water and lather on your hand for a few seconds, then a few drops more, than go ahead and wash yourself in a luxurious, amazing-smelling lather.  

Your life will be enriched!  

In no world would I hang onto those soaps, and in no world would I sell them.  Your showers just got infinitely better.  

Oh, and don't even think about using them for shaving, or mixing them with something else for shaving.  They won't work well and it will be disappointing.  Just lather them up in the shower and enjoy!

2 1,387
 11-17-2016, 05:52 PM
User Info
I would use them in the shower.

48 5,698